General Chat

Stevo985

On 07/08/2019 at 09:44, lapal_fan said:

I found out I have a nickname at work - PC Lapal_fan.

Because I dared to say you shouldn't call a Chinese takeaway a Chinky :lol:  

Worcester is weird man. 

Were you there with me when Mrs P spotted an oriental gentleman standing next to her at a bar, looked him up and down and then turned to me and said "I really fancy a chinky tonight"?

I mean, that would have been pretty offensive even if she'd said 'chinese takeaway'. 

(My wife's lovely by the way, that was a blip that I still like to embarrass her with 10 years later).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

Were you there with me when Mrs P spotted an oriental gentleman standing next to her at a bar, looked him up and down and then turned to me and said "I really fancy a chinky tonight"?

I mean, that would have been pretty offensive even if she'd said 'chinese takeaway'. 

(My wife's lovely by the way, that was a blip that I still like to embarrass her with 10 years later).

:lol: no! 

She's on the list. 

54 minutes ago, bickster said:

qkx88r59u6f31.jpg?width=640&height=769&c

I think I might be able to top it for most middle-class complaint tbh.

For the last couple of years there's been flood defence work going on by me. There's a facebook group that was set up by residents to save as much of the park as possible etc.

Anyway, one lady took to facebook to complain when they were driving pilings into the ground to reinforce the bank of the stream,

"It shook the house so much that my jar of Quinoa just fell off the shelf"

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, bickster said:

Its rare that I get to quote the Spectator because I agree with something it says

Personally, I'd have to say I prefer Laverne over Young. It's not that I'm that much of a Laverne fan, as the article says, she's perfectly nice if not exactly thrilling. But I really didn't like Kirsty Young and I certainly didn't like the guests. Too many people of privilege trying to pretend they weren't. Too many people of privilege and private education that then 'rose to the top against the odds'.

It was as awful as Radio 4 can aspire to be.

How many guests did Kirsty Young have where the back story was the usual upper class trope that they were 'poor'. Then they go on to describe how in order to earn some money they bought a small island and knitted organic yoghurt for the Sultan of Brunei as they'd been friends at Oxford. Or some such insulting bollocks.

And she would just purrrr at them.

Anyway, I actually switched radio 4 off a few weeks ago and haven't put it back on. 

I may not be anywhere near as angry as the above reads.

Just now, bickster said:

I disagree with that bit, she is perfectly nice and highly irritating, irritatingly nice, it's just not right

I was going to write 'vanilla' but quickly realised I didn't mean that as it would have been vanilla in the context Mr Mooney correctly dislikes.

I don't really know LL, so I'm probably only measuring her against Young, who I got the impression, was a big bit in love with herself.

Oh, and she also replaced Shaun Keaveny, another chronic self abuser who only needs a mirror and some lube for a good night in.

So perhaps I'm just judging her against people I dislike.

Like saying I prefer herpes to Boris Johnson, Priti Patel and John Humphrys. It doesn't actually mean I like herpes. 

17 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Oh, and she also replaced Shaun Keaveny

Oh hell yeah we went from Misery as an Artform to Shiny Happy People

Laverne was off the other morning and 6Music was on as I turned the car engine on from the previous night and Mr Radcliffe had replaced her, it was wonderful

I listen to (or at least hear) far more Radio 4 than I would like, due to Mrs M's addiction to it - left on all day long, in multiple rooms. There are only a handful of programmes I would choose to listen to (DID being one). But I dislike Laverne. That said, K Young was responsible for the sacrilege of changing the time-honoured intro from "My castaway this week is (teaser clues)... he/she is (name)" to "My castaway this week is (name)... (summary biog)". These things matter. 

• Like 1

My missus absolutely went full postal a few weeks due to something said on R4 and we haven't put it back on since.

She can be a little bit Class War with hormones when she wants to be. 

In fact, last I saw of her she'd declared a fatwah on Nick Robinson and set off in a London direction waving a large rusty nail.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

That teenager who threw the six-year-old off the Tate Modern will go on trial for attempted murder... IN FEBRUARY. Why such a delay? 

I'd hazard a guess that the justice system being on the balls of it's arse wont be helping.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

That teenager who threw the six-year-old off the Tate Modern will go on trial for attempted murder... IN FEBRUARY. Why such a delay? 

The legal system takes that long. I've been called to give evidence in November for a statement I made and evidence I provided last April (2018)

18 minutes ago, bickster said:

I've been called to give evidence in November for a statement I made and evidence I provided last April (2018)

10 hours ago, bickster said:

They all deserve to be run over

A police spokesbobby said 'we employed Mr Bickster in good faith as a bona fide expert witness'.

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Initially, There’s a timetable set out during the first hearings for service of material/evidence and then a defence statement and witness requirements etc. These are set time parameters for all crown court cases.

furthermore, it’s more likely to be allocation of court time. This trial could be anywhere between 3-6 weeks.

Unfortunately these things do tend to drag on and take a while to come to fruition. It’s not ideal, I agree. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Â