The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

7 minutes ago, tinker said:

The whole film is anti war for me, it shows how quickly the elation of going to war disintegrates. Can imagine a few Russians going through very similar situations ATM..

That thought did cross my mind after my initial comment. Incidentally, I think Friday Evening will be the perfect slot to give the film a butchers .

• Like 1

9 hours ago, leemond2008 said:

Don't forget, he was only about 40 when the film was released, it was all makeup, he said that the film derailed his career for a while because people genuinely thought he was an old man after it came out

Plus 40 year olds from that era often look like today's 60 year olds.

My little girls film obsession has moved on to zoomania, its pretty good, I keep spotting clever real life references on every watch (like fur fighters being on her ipod)

Much better than the good dinosaur which was her last one, probably not as good as turning red

Did start the TV series which came out yesterday but without the rabbit she wasn't in to it, from what I watched I thought that it was missing a lot of what makes the film interesting

40 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Keanu Reeves is 58.

You've got to hand it to him still being able to do the John Wick stuff.

I didn't watch the John Wick films for ages after they came out purely because Keanu Reeves is a terrible actor (great human, gotta love Keanu, terrible actor though) my old man kept on telling me that I had to watch them (he has the same opinion of Keanu as I do) in the end I took the plunge and watched the first and second film one after the other and watched the third as soon as it came out, they are great films, its weird how Reeves looks so comfortable doing the "gun-fu" stuff but looked so stiff in the action scenes of the latest Matrix films.

I think the thing that really got me on board with the first film was the fact that he basically goes ham on hundreds of people because the killed his dog (spoiler maybe but its only a small one and the film is years old now) 

John Wick is a must see set of films for people who just wanna switch their brain off and go for a ride, I can't wait for the fourth one.

Also Keanu Reeves has said that he'll basically keep on making the Wick films for as long as people wanna see them.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, leemond2008 said:

I didn't watch the John Wick films for ages after they came out purely because Keanu Reeves is a terrible actor (great human, gotta love Keanu, terrible actor though) my old man kept on telling me that I had to watch them (he has the same opinion of Keanu as I do) in the end I took the plunge and watched the first and second film one after the other and watched the third as soon as it came out, they are great films, its weird how Reeves looks so comfortable doing the "gun-fu" stuff but looked so stiff in the action scenes of the latest Matrix films.

I think the thing that really got me on board with the first film was the fact that he basically goes ham on hundreds of people because the killed his dog (spoiler maybe but its only a small one and the film is years old now) 

John Wick is a must see set of films for people who just wanna switch their brain off and go for a ride, I can't wait for the fourth one.

Also Keanu Reeves has said that he'll basically keep on making the Wick films for as long as people wanna see them.

I love the hotel set up’s in them

On 07/11/2022 at 23:30, tinker said:

Jesus that was a heavy 3 hours , brutal but you can see it was as close to real as you could possibly get.

Everyone should be made to watch it. 9/10

Yeah it's bleak as h**l but a really great movie. Top notch for a Netflix movie.

Read the book ages ago and seen the old movies too so knew what to expect and I think this movie did a great job.

I imagine this is not too far away from the meat grinder the Russian kids are being thrown into today which should not be happening a hundred years later.

• Like 2

image.thumb.jpeg.e3df507958d2a42afc16cc85bf4b96d5.jpeg

Son of a Butcher, local lad and and one of our own. Adkins playing the comedy action role, You’ve seen it 100 times before, But a good way to kill a couple of hours. Excellent martial arts choreography and some really cheesy one-liners. Solid 7 out of 10. Upgraded from a six purely due to the killer clown who can feel no pain 

Edited by Follyfoot

9 minutes ago, Bizzzle said:

Watched Bodies Bodies Bodies the other night and thought it was pretty shit tbh. No likeable characters or anything 5/10 

Yeah saw that one at the flicks earlier this year and was hugely disappointed. The concept was interesting but how they executed it was so flat.

Only plus point was Pete Davidson who I think is a great talent.

Edited by Designer1
  • Like 1

On 11/11/2022 at 19:38, Follyfoot said:

I love the hotel set up’s in them

Good news, there is a TV series coming soon based on the hotels around the world. The Continental I think it is called.

• Like 1

Black Adam - wasn't too bad. Not great, far too loud and heavy on the smashy bashy bits, but it was generally efficiently put together and rolled along. A 6.5/10 film, mid-tierish to Marvel efforts. 

Re-watched Speed for the first time in over 20 years recently too. **** hell :D All those cuts to a speedometer are hilarious. 

I've got this arriving tomorrow 

71hfLPzTl5L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I know that the PA films are divisive (to say the least) but aside from one or two of them I can always sit down and watch them, I'll no doubt sit down and binge them this weekend, its also got a feature length documentary which should be a good watch as well.

image-w1280.jpg?1445947930

Bariera (Jerzy Skolimowski) - Good film, very unpredictable and inventive, most scenes almost like dream sequences, quite zany in places too, almost like a cartoon

qyKYMB5toGPmpxBhJscKlnKw3EcDK3.jpg

The Girl Can't Help It (Frank Tashlin) - Not bad, this also has a cartoon feel to it, which I think is normal for Tashlin as he started out directing Looney Tunes.

b1ad0fed291d232841e20815b6f3d3b2b7c00860b985896de46ffe4522a2b7c52bc34c7191c71e9e

Lonesome (Paul Fejos)  - A buried treasure from Hollywood’s golden age,  While under contract at Universal, Fejos pulled out all the stops for this lovely, largely silent New York City symphony set in antic Coney Island during the Fourth of July weekend, employing color tinting, superimposition effects, experimental editing, and a roving camera (plus three dialogue scenes, added to satisfy the new craze for talkies). - Enjoyed it immensely, great film

Â