The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

1 minute ago, Chindie said:

Suspiria (2018)

Funnily enough, the OG Suspiria was one of the films we watched for inaugural weekender.  Is the remake worth a watch then?

2 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Under the Skin

"This isn't Tesco's, is it?" 

1 minute ago, GarethRDR said:

Funnily enough, the OG Suspiria was one of the films we watched for inaugural weekender.  Is the remake worth a watch then?

I really like it, not just as a horror film, it's genuinely a good movie all ends up. Fundamentally it's the same story as the original but it's played very differently, has lots of atmosphere, a great soundtrack and some genuinely grim bits scattered throughout.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GarethRDR said:

Looking for some leftfield horror suggestions please.  Wife and I started doing Halloween weekend horror marathons couple years back and we've got this year's slightly delayed (due to hols) one coming up this week.  The format is we fold out the sofa-bed in front of the telly, order pizza and watch as many back-to-back horror films as possible, mostly stuff we've never seen with maybe one familiar favourite and one comedy as a palate cleanser.

So far, this year's plan is:

• The Entity
  • [•REC]
  • Train To Busan
  • Pit And The Pendulum

...with Hocus Pocus 2 to break up the bleakness.

Hit me with your best shots please, chaps.

If you can find it (you can get it on blu-ray from Arrow Films) - but the Directors Cut of 1990's mess Nightbreed comes highly recommended. There's an intro from Clive Barker and watching it justifies his comments that the studio didn't actually get the film and went ahead and butchered it. The new version is about 25 minutes longer than the Theatrical Cut (with 40 minutes of previously unseen footage) and as a film/narrative and story, just seems to flow way more naturally and it gives the world it depicts time to actually breathe. There is a bit of stodgy editing towards the end, but it's an insight into how the film should have been, and is waaay better for it. The ending is also changed and is more in line with source material, the book Cabal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Watched the Lost King earlier. Not bad at all, both the wife and I enjoyed it. It's not a particularly good film, but it's got a very good cast and the subject/plot device was fascinating enough to keep me watching.

Definitely worse ways to fill a couple of hours. Would recommend as a 7 out of 10.

On 21/10/2022 at 14:37, sne said:

Feelgood movie of the year?

Jesus that was a heavy 3 hours , brutal but you can see it was as close to real as you could possibly get.

Everyone should be made to watch it. 9/10

• Like 2

See the source image

Bit disappointing this sadly. Very heavy on the saccherine sense of please-be-moved with an intrusive score and heavy handed dialogue, that as I said just screams, please be emotionally manipulated. There are also undeveloped exchanges between characters which is frustrating. Bill Nighy is great, but I felt the evidently desired response at the end was unearned. Shame really. Structurally they make a choice about half, 2/3rds through that I just don't think helps the film either

I just watched mel gibsons new film "on the line"

I honestly cannot find a more stupidier ending "twist" if you can call it that.

What a absurd film. Gibsons career really has plummeted doing films like this. What a disaster for him

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

What a absurd film. Gibsons career really has plummeted doing films like this. What a disaster for him

Yep, apart from a couple of standouts (The Beaver and Dragged Across Concrete) his last decade of work has been patchy at best.

I think he's probably hoping Lethal Weapon 5 will make him relevant (and some cash).

40 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Yep, apart from a couple of standouts (The Beaver and Dragged Across Concrete) his last decade of work has been patchy at best.

I think he's probably hoping Lethal Weapon 5 will make him relevant (and some cash).

Did you watch this one? Watch it just fir the ending. You dont expect it but its just a ridiculous ending

25 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Watching the classic that is The Exorcist on BBCiplayer. I was thinking how it wasn't that long ago when Max Von Sydow died, yet he looks like an old man in this and it was made in the early seventies. Then again, he did become The Raven.

Don't forget, he was only about 40 when the film was released, it was all makeup, he said that the film derailed his career for a while because people genuinely thought he was an old man after it came out

Just now, leemond2008 said:

Don't forget, he was only about 40 when the film was released, it was all makeup, he said that the film derailed his career for a while because people genuinely thought he was an old man after it came out

Strange to think make - up what that good back then. Still, anything is better that that Irishman de - aging crap.

On 07/11/2022 at 15:58, GarethRDR said:

Looking for some leftfield horror suggestions please.  Wife and I started doing Halloween weekend horror marathons couple years back and we've got this year's slightly delayed (due to hols) one coming up this week.  The format is we fold out the sofa-bed in front of the telly, order pizza and watch as many back-to-back horror films as possible, mostly stuff we've never seen with maybe one familiar favourite and one comedy as a palate cleanser.

So far, this year's plan is:

• The Entity
  • [•REC]
  • Train To Busan
  • Pit And The Pendulum

...with Hocus Pocus 2 to break up the bleakness.

Hit me with your best shots please, chaps.

Considering the four films you've listed here it seems you're up for pretty much anything, so I'll try for some deeper cuts.  I'll try not to duplicate any from Designer's list.

The Swarm and Coming Home in the Dark are probably the best horror films I've seen from recent years, although we're stretching the definition a little here.  Both are maybe a bit too sober and severe, the former with elements an eco horror with elements of a creature feature and some grim body horror.  The latter is a straighter brutal thriller, but memorably horrible.  In the 'Is this really horror?' field I also really liked She Dies Tomorrow.  Resurrection rather stunningly 'commits to the bit' where you think it might break into more obvious territory, anchored by an absolutely committed Rebecca Hall, becoming a bit of an unexpected horror maven with this and the merely alright The Night House.  For something lower budget with more of an indie film feel The Beach House has a keen sense of the uncanny with little whispers of cosmic horror becoming increasingly incessant.  More conventional genre thrills are to be found in the surprisingly good Underwater, which received bafflingly bad reviews a couple of years ago.  It ramps things up very pleasingly at its climax.  I like a good horror anthology and of the modern ones I'm a fan of the VHS series, particularly the first one.  The newest one, VHS 94 has some excellent entries, and manages to mix the blackly amusing with the viscerally unpleasant.  The pick of the bunch though would be Southbound, which moves at a real pace, and with the help of a really satisfying wrap story/framing device has the kind of thrilling momentum it can be hard to find in the portmanteau format.  As a horror afficionado you'll probably already know if the Terrifier films are your bag or not.

If you want to show off your 'obscure film' bona-fides why not give Lake of the Dead a go?  A Norwegian horror from the late fifties, it's part Agatha Christie, part Henry James, and features some oddly nightmarish daylit, nature-set spookiness.  A keen maunder of morbidity can be found in Carnival of Souls, perhaps the first example of a now overdone trope, and the sad, autumnal Seance on a Wet Afternoon complicates a triptych of somewhat 'repressed' horrors.  Also strikingly visual are some Japanese horror films from the 60s: Onibaba being my favourite, Kuroneko, Kwaidan and Jigoku, definitely one of the first films with proper gore effects, also good.  Back in obscure film world, Matango AKA Attack of the Mushroom People, is a fun one to talk about at parties.  If you're after grim 70s American horror off the beaten track Let's Scare Jessica to Death, Messiah of Evil and God Told Me To can scratch that itch.  From the same decade I really like really weird film The Shout, a British film from Polish director Jerzy Skolimowski about a man who, it is claimed, has literally acquired the ability to 'shout' people to death.  If you enjoyed Suspiria and Deep Red some deeper Italian horror cuts are the dreamy Footprints on the Moon, the savage Don't Torture A Duckling, and the sinister nighttime conspiracies of The Short Night of the Glass Dolls.  A little beyond its prime Michele Soavi promised to inject a bit of fire into Italian horror's veins.  His pomp was short lived but Stagefright, The Church and, in particular, Cemetary Man, are a lot of fun.  Nobody's mentioned Possession yet right?  You've seen Possession, right?  Oh boy.  Other real horror experiences would be the depressing but horribly compelling Angst, and the very nasty In A Glass Cage.  Have you seen any Kiyoshi Kurosawa films?  Cure is my favourite, Pulse the one everyone always mentions, and Retribution very good too.  From that neck of the woods there's also the Korean horrors A Tale of Two Sisters and Taiwanese 'sins of the past' reality-bender Detention, starring the very good but very inappropriately-named Gingle Wang.

Of the more recent horror films from a little further back I would recommend Confessions, a sick little Japanese revenge piece, the nightmare escalation of the surprisingly excellent Triangle, the sad 'precariat' horror of The Innkeepers, the twin Giallo homages of Amer and Knife + Heart, the freezing arthouse absurdities of Far Eastern European Bad Trips November and The Temptation of St Tony (you'll know if you want to see these two), the small town, 16mm blast of bleakness (and surprising tenderness) I Am Not A Serial Killer, and the time-warping rides of Coherence and the unexpectedly fun +1.

There are plenty more to recommend and I can return for another bout at some later date, but it would be remiss of me not to mention Larry Fessenden's vampire addiction parable Habit as it's my good lady's favourite film.  I'm more of a The Addiction fan, but hey... hope this is all of some assistance.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

The "pacifists" might give you a hard time with that suggestion. 

The whole film is anti war for me, it shows how quickly the elation of going to war disintegrates. Can imagine a few Russians going through very similar situations ATM..

Â