The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

1 hour ago, sheepyvillian said:

I'm revisiting Pulp Fiction on Netflix. Tarantino films are always worth watching again. He has to be in the top 5 directors of all time. He also wrote 2 classics in True Romance and Natural Born Killers. A talented man indeed.

First let me say that I love and grew up with Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction. That said I can't escape the feeling that from Kill Bill onward he kind of disappeared up his own arse a bit. I know Kill Bill has a lot of fans, but I must admit that I found some of the dialogue and set up stuff almost childish.

I get that he's an auteur, but I always felt he should stop trying to make Grindhouse B movies, and just make some good films. Django for me was much much better, but when you have Cristoph Waltz, Jamie Foxx and Leo Dicaprio, it's pretty much nailed on to be outstanding. 

I don't automatically watch his films any more, sad to say. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

First let me say that I love and grew up with Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction. That said I can't escape the feeling that from Kill Bill onward he kind of disappeared up his own arse a bit. I know Kill Bill has a lot of fans, but I must admit that I found some of the dialogue and set up stuff almost childish.

I get that he's an auteur, but I always felt he should stop trying to make Grindhouse B movies, and just make some good films. Django for me was much much better, but when you have Cristoph Waltz, Jamie Foxx and Leo Dicaprio, it's pretty much nailed on to be outstanding. 

I don't automatically watch his films any more, sad to say. 

I kind of agree. I didn't much take to Kill Bill or Death Proof. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood was a bit too self - indulgent for me. The rest, I'm ok with, but yeah, I get your point totally. 

• Like 1

Watched Thor: Love and Thunder yesterday. I like the Thor series, its probably my favourite part of the Marvel franchise, but with that much taika waititi all over it the humor starts endearing but then gets tiring. Its like watching Roger Moore as Bond, after a while you think, oh its a script full wise cracks. That said enjoyable, good way to kill 2 hours.

11 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

I'm revisiting Pulp Fiction on Netflix. Tarantino films are always worth watching again. He has to be in the top 5 directors of all time. He also wrote 2 classics in True Romance and Natural Born Killers. A talented man indeed.

I've started going back through some. Watched inglorious and django the other day. 

Him and Nolan are probably the only directors I'd watch any film they put out. 

Really enjoyed this one. Great fun, barrels along at a good pace and unlike many monster movies it has some interesting characters, and a real heart and emotion to go with the action set pieces.

spacer.png

• Like 2

Nolan needs to pull himself out of his own jacksy, he's one that's got worse as he's gone on for me. Tarantino a bit the same - a one trick pony.

Villeneuve makes great films but lacking a bit in warmth.

I appear to be in a grump with directors.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Yeah I'd add Scorcese. Forgot about him. Loved the Irishman

Peckinpah needs a mention for The Wild Bunch and the war film he made with James Coburn. The Iron Cross, that's the one, tremendous film.

Edited by sheepyvillian

4 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Nolan needs to pull himself out of his own jacksy, he's one that's got worse as he's gone on for me. Tarantino a bit the same - a one trick pony.

I'm not a great fan of Nolan, his pictures are the visual equivalent of the Times cryptic crossword, for me. One current director I really like, John Michael McDonagh. I  consider "Calvary" a masterpiece and The Guard was achingly funny. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

I'm not a great fan of Nolan, his pictures are the visual equivalent of the Times cryptic crossword, for me. One current director I really like, John Michael McDonagh. I  consider "Calvary" a masterpiece and The Guard was achingly funny. 

I watch The Guard often. Brilliant, and who doesn't love Villa fan and legend Brendan Gleason?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Designer1 said:

Really enjoyed this one. Great fun, barrels along at a good pace and unlike many monster movies it has some interesting characters, and a real heart and emotion to go with the action set pieces.

spacer.png

Is it anything to do with Troll hunter? Couldn't work out if Netflix had done a Hollywood remake of that good film

13 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Villeneuve IMO is currently making the best looking films

Nolan nails the sound, Dunkirk is a masterpiece in terms of sound

I'll throw another one out although he's not actually done that much and been quiet for a while (commonwealth games) - I like Steve McQueen

On directors and then been meaning to ask this for a while - James Cameron, does anyone give a shit about avatar? Seems like for such a big film and for how successful the first one was there's no buzz because everyone watched it but no one really likes it... Or maybe it's just because unlike other blockbuster franchises there isn't the in your face merch and associated cartoon series etc just seems like a nothing film franchise to me

4 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Is it anything to do with Troll hunter? Couldn't work out if Netflix had done a Hollywood remake of that good film

No. Completely separate (Troll Hunter is great).

This one is Norwegian too.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

does anyone give a shit about avatar?

No.

Wasn't a fan of the first one (3d technology aside which was superb) and so a sequel holds pretty much zero interest for me.

• Like 2

Â