The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

35 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

I watched Terrifier 1 earlier and it’s definitely a lower budget version, very low budget in fact. I have to say the second one is better in almost every way but as you say the soundtrack is the most prominent thing and really helps.

The first one is the kind of movie you would see on Shudder, the second is worthy of a cinema release although not scheduled in the UK at the moment.

you've gotta admit though, the scene in the cafe was awesome wasn't it

On 22/10/2022 at 14:09, leemond2008 said:

Oh hellz yeah

A black and white clown with a tiny top hat holds a spiked hammer. Below a scene of fire and bodies, and standing among them is a young woman dressed as a warrior angel.

Curtains closed, got me a mega pint of tea and I'm about to settle down for this, can't wait for it, been looking forward to this one for absolutely ages, madness to think it was delayed by 2 years for the bat-flu

My Terrifier Double Bill Blu ray arrived today so that'll be getting a repeat watch.

Big fan of the first one so really hyped to watch the sequel.

I have a feeling Art could become the next big horror icon.

23 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

My Terrifier Double Bill Blu ray arrived today so that'll be getting a repeat watch.

Big fan of the first one so really hyped to watch the sequel.

I have a feeling Art could become the next big horror icon.

I think he already is to be fair, we haven't had anything like him for so so long, who was the last proper iconic horror villain? Ghostface? 

You are in for a treat

• Like 1

Saw a couple of DC films recently:

The Mrs’ young nephew stayed over so we watched Superpets. I thought it was great fun. Animation and laughs for the kids, but even humour and nuance in there to keep adults entertained.

Black Adam - it was ok. Bit slow at times and the DC films just seem to be trying too hard to make an impact. 

• Like 1

i was tempted by black adam the other night (kw) it's out there but not perfect but it feels like a film that it doesnt really matter if you watch it this weekend or in 18 months on a streaming service theres no rush for it

just something about DC where im not overly fussed

• Like 1

On 26/10/2022 at 19:48, Designer1 said:

Just back from watching this and it's going to take something spectacular for it not to be my film of the year.

Superbly written, funny, wry and often incredibly dark with a brilliant ensemble cast including a career best performance from Farrell.

spacer.png

Thrilled to hear this, the pair have such incredible chemistry, In Bruges is probably in my top 5 movies so hyped..

• Like 1

My films for this weekend

Bananabarian

Barbarian 2022 film poster.png

I didn't get to watching it the other day so that is a definite watch at some point today

A woman in a red dress with an axe over her shoulder

I didn't realise this was out yet (or maybe it isn't, but either way its available) I loved X, thought that it was brilliant, the fact that this was filmed alongside it makes me hope that Ti West knew exactly what he was doing and this will be of equal quality

Last night I watched 

Halloween III Season of the Witch film poster.jpg

I'm currently reading Taking Shape which runs through in detail each of the Halloween films all the way up to Halloween 2018, I needed a refresher on Season of the Witch before I started reading about that one because its the one Halloween film I don't really pay any attention to.

On 25/10/2022 at 21:03, PieFacE said:

This thread is missing @Designer1 - Hope he's okay!

The film "Barbarian" looks interesting. Available on the high seas.

I watched it. Its not bad but gets abit wierd after when justin long comes into it

No spoilers but curious to see wht you think

8 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I watched it. Its not bad but gets abit wierd after when justin long comes into it

No spoilers but curious to see wht you think

Just watched Barbarian 

I thought it was pretty good, nothing amazing but a solid film. 

I went in not knowing anything at all about the plot, thought it all looked pretty standard at the beginning with Skarsgard playing his part really well, the tonal shift in the film was done really well, when I was reading up on it afterwards, I think it was on Wiki that I read "it is like a Fincher upstairs and Raimi downstairs" that is a pretty good way of describing it. 

Justin Long was the stand out performance for me, I really enjoyed his part.

I'd give it an overall 6.5/10 but the director deserves massive props for that being his first film.

27 minutes ago, leemond2008 said:

Just watched Barbarian 

I thought it was pretty good, nothing amazing but a solid film. 

I went in not knowing anything at all about the plot, thought it all looked pretty standard at the beginning with Skarsgard playing his part really well, the tonal shift in the film was done really well, when I was reading up on it afterwards, I think it was on Wiki that I read "it is like a Fincher upstairs and Raimi downstairs" that is a pretty good way of describing it. 

Justin Long was the stand out performance for me, I really enjoyed his part.

I'd give it an overall 6.5/10 but the director deserves massive props for that being his first film.

Spoiler

It was really wierd longs part. There is absolutely zero mention of him until the other guy was killed and she was captured.

I didnt understand the rape part as i thought there was ginna be a link between longs charchter and the one that got captured. Ut was really odd the reasons he would go to the house

On 29/10/2022 at 08:04, leemond2008 said:

My films for this weekend

Bananabarian

Barbarian 2022 film poster.png

I didn't get to watching it the other day so that is a definite watch at some point today

I didn't realise this was out yet (or maybe it isn't, but either way its available) I loved X, thought that it was brilliant, the fact that this was filmed alongside it makes me hope that Ti West knew exactly what he was doing and this will be of equal quality

Last night I watched 

Halloween III Season of the Witch film poster.jpg

I'm currently reading Taking Shape which runs through in detail each of the Halloween films all the way up to Halloween 2018, I needed a refresher on Season of the Witch before I started reading about that one because its the one Halloween film I don't really pay any attention to.

That damn silver shamrock advert, once heard never leaves, still pops up in my head randomly from time to time 

On 26/10/2022 at 20:40, leemond2008 said:

I think he already is to be fair, we haven't had anything like him for so so long, who was the last proper iconic horror villain? Ghostface? 

You are in for a treat

That one scene disturbed me. Usually partial to a horror and consider myself desensitized to any gore but **** me... that was next level.

• Like 1

I think what Leone has done brilliantly with Terrifier 2 is take the story in a new expanded direction without diluting Art's character one iota.

The original worked brilliantly as it was stripped back, minimalistic film making which battered a single bloody riff from beginning to end. Deviating from that in the sequel was a gamble but due to the story, its pacing and the addition of some truly surreal wtf scenes it works a bloody treat. Two and a half hours absolutely flew past.

Judging from the end credit scene there's much more to come and I can't wait.

1 hour ago, MCU said:

That one scene disturbed me. Usually partial to a horror and consider myself desensitized to any gore but **** me... that was next level.

Assuming you mean...

Spoiler

The bedroom murder scene?

If so, yeah that was next level fuckedupedness 😁

• Like 1

Massive shift from X but I thoroughly enjoyed it, Mia Goth is absolutely brilliant as both Pearl and Maxine.

Ti West has done a really good job of capturing the feel of the year (1918) the whole film is a lot more colourful, it has a completely different feel to X, after watching it, I reckon they could squeeze out another prequel, it almost feels like it has only told half of the origin story...I'm not sure if it would work or even what the appetite for it would be, I think I really just want to see Mia Goth as Pearl again.

There is a scene towards the end where she dives into a long monologue which is brilliant.

Not sure what people would think of it who aren't invested in the X franchise, if you are interested in Pearl's origins though, you won't be disappointed.

• Like 2

Â