The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

I noticed a little Easter egg in Pulp Fiction that I haven't heard people talk about before. When Butch gets out of the car to retrieve the watch from his apartment a little voice comes over a radio and mentions Jack Rabbit Slims. This was obviously a precursor to the death of John Travolta's character. 

2 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

I noticed a little Easter egg in Pulp Fiction that I haven't heard people talk about before. When Butch gets out of the car to retrieve the watch from his apartment a little voice comes over a radio and mentions Jack Rabbit Slims. This was obviously a precursor to the death of John Travolta's character. 

Bloody Tories

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Designer1 said:

No.

Wasn't a fan of the first one (3d technology aside which was superb) and so a sequel holds pretty much zero interest for me.

I knew I was watching absolute horse manure (although, admittedly very pretty to look at horse manure) when they started talking about "Unobtanium" :crylaugh:

MV5BMmNkYjFmNDMtOTE0ZC00MmUxLTlmNzctMTg1

Repo Chick (Alex Cox) - Some don't seem to realize that it looks the way it does and the acting is the way it is as some sort of artistic choice, both of which are fine for what they are and it can be quite amusing at times as well, but the story felt all over the place, kind of reminded a little of a very low budget Southland Tales.

I'm surprised none of the VT film buffs have passed comment on this momentous paradigm shift. 'Citizen Kane' finally displaced as the de facto Greatest Film of All Time. By... say what??? 

Sight and Sound magazine has announced the result of its latest decennial Greatest Film of All Time critics’ poll and Chantal Akerman’s radically austere, disturbing and brilliant 1975 film Jeanne Dielman, 23 Quai du Commerce, 1080 Bruxelles is in with a bullet at No 1. This is the eerily unsettling and mesmeric three-hour-plus account of a single mother’s apparently banal life in real-time long takes, which progressively disclose an awful secret. With a fierce, cold, sustained blaze, the movie speaks to contemporary issues and questions: housework as work, sex work as work, the burden of motherhood and caregiving, the theatre of bourgeois respectability, the terrible loneliness of domestic life and female marginalisation, the unnoticed ubiquity of power and violence.

Guardian

This I've got to see, I thought. So the missus and I settled down with the popcorn, and... look, I'm an arthouse movie fan. I like long, slow movies. I respect the director's art, and invariably stay right through to the credits. But, come on. We lasted twenty minutes before knocking it on the head. Boring has a new definition. 

Somebody at Sight and Sound is taking the piss. 

On 07/12/2022 at 02:11, TheAuthority said:

I knew I was watching absolute horse manure (although, admittedly very pretty to look at horse manure) when they started talking about "Unobtanium" :crylaugh:

I'm not going to weigh in on whether or not the film is any good, but I would say that the name 'unobtainium' has been used in real life by engineers since the 1950's to jokingly refer to a material that was particularly expensive or hard to get. They weren't referring to a name of a specific element, or rock or anything. 

• Like 1

On 07/12/2022 at 00:13, sheepyvillian said:

there's loads of that in pulp fiction. did a media studies a level essay on it and there's loads of little connections that you don't pick up on right away. like it was butch that keyed vincent's car following their disagreement in the bar

On 07/12/2022 at 02:11, TheAuthority said:

For me it was about half of the way through the film when I realised Cameron had stolen the story from pocahontas

Also thought the 3D glasses took an edge off the colour meaning all the 3D brilliance actually took something away from the film rather than add to it

• Like 1

8 hours ago, tomav84 said:

there's loads of that in pulp fiction. did a media studies a level essay on it and there's loads of little connections that you don't pick up on right away. like it was butch that keyed vincent's car following their disagreement in the bar

Its been years since i've seen it, but I was always confused as to why to vincent didn't hear butch coming back to the apartment when he was on the toilet. Then I read that he would have thought it was marsellus, as he was there with him but had popped out for breakfast/coffee. Thats why he was in butch's neighbourhood prior to butch running him over on the crossing. 

8 hours ago, tomav84 said:

That makes sense.

5 hours ago, villa4europe said:

For me it was about half of the way through the film when I realised Cameron had stolen the story from pocahontas

Also thought the 3D glasses took an edge off the colour meaning all the 3D brilliance actually took something away from the film rather than add to it

I always said it was basically a CGi remake of Fern Gully the Last Rainforest.  

• Like 2

It's Dances with Wolves in space with the Native Americans replaced with giant blue people.

It's not good. It's basically a tech demo, and that's all Cameron is interested in with it if we're being honest.

I think the thing that most annoyed me about that film is that they claimed to have approached the idea of an alien world with a scientific approach, but then the creatures they created were the worst primary school fever dream designs imaginable. 'So, look, they have horses right, but they have six legs right?! And they're blue! And... They've got like vents in their necks... And...and...and 4 eyes!'.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, mjmooney said:

This I've got to see, I thought. So the missus and I settled down with the popcorn, and... look, I'm an arthouse movie fan. I like long, slow movies. I respect the director's art, and invariably stay right through to the credits. But, come on. We lasted twenty minutes before knocking it on the head. Boring has a new definition. 

Somebody at Sight and Sound is taking the piss. 

Personally I'm holding out for the Director's cut, with at least 55 minutes more ennui.

• Like 1

Â