The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Clerks 3 is available to stream (£9.99 rental) now. As a long time fan of the view askewniverse I was a little pensive as the last decent film Kevin Smith made was Red State back in 2011, although Tusk wasn't too bad.

I personally really enjoyed Clerks 3, if you take it as a comedy/drama then it works, if you're expecting gross out humour, you'll be disappointed. 8 out of 10 for me - if you liked the original film and it's subsequent sequel there's a lot to love here.

"Jay" trying to act is one of the funniest things you'll see.

Kevin Smith Finally Releases The Clerks 3 Trailer

• Like 1

On 16/10/2022 at 10:27, leemond2008 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I don't mind them passing the mantle of Myers to a new character, everything was just so convenient and poorly done though.

Out of all of the people in Haddonfield Michael stumbles on Corey who is in the midst of an utterly unbelievable relationship with Laurie Strodes granddaughter Allyson, oh ho hum, that really is convenient isn't it.

I still think the worst part was when he went back to see  ̷p̷e̷n̷n̷y̷w̷i̷s̷e̷ Myers in the sewer and he just knocked him over and stole his mask, that was absolutely pathetic, the scene where Myers ejaculated after killing the cop dude was pretty laughable as well, I was just waiting for the blue sparks and for him to suddenly say "there can be only one" 

Spoiler

Tin helmet on

I liked it. It was a bit different from most Halloween movies granted, but the genre has moved on a bit and honestly what I watched I think was more interesting than 90 minutes of Myers wandering around slowly and quietly just stabbing folk

My reading of it is that they tried to enforce some realm of realism to it. At the end of Halloween Kills he had been shot, stabbed and battered, and he's only an auld fella so he can't really be doing all the killing that he used to 

So Corey became a kind of avatar of Myers so we could still get to see a bunch of gruesome killings. Don't even think there was anything supernatural going on. Corey was at his lowest ebb and knew he would never be accepted. Meeting Myers was serendipitous and he took it as a sign to get his revenge.

And, for once they properly killed the killer at the end - no ambiguity.

Edited by TheMelvillan

On 16/10/2022 at 10:35, DeadlyDirk said:

Clerks 3 is available to stream (£9.99 rental) now. As a long time fan of the view askewniverse I was a little pensive as the last decent film Kevin Smith made was Red State back in 2011, although Tusk wasn't too bad.

I personally really enjoyed Clerks 3, if you take it as a comedy/drama then it works, if you're expecting gross out humour, you'll be disappointed. 8 out of 10 for me - if you liked the original film and it's subsequent sequel there's a lot to love here.

"Jay" trying to act is one of the funniest things you'll see.

Kevin Smith Finally Releases The Clerks 3 Trailer

Watched this last night, I totally agree. Wasn't quite what I was expecting from Kev but an interesting change in tone for the final act. Good film.

• Like 1

Disappearance at Clifton Hill.

Nice little indie mystery. You’ve likely seen similar before, but it keeps you guessing and wondering throughout.

Quite like Tuppence Middleton, not seen her in loads but what I have, I like.  

Oh and there’s a scene with David Cronenberg as a frogman.

5101044B-0548-448E-BCF9-949C725C653A.jpeg.6d7152aae4249149c7d5d23cfa82d0a0.jpeg

• Like 1

Once or twice If I haven't been able to think of something to watch I've looked on the Cahiers du Cinéma lists to see if anything looks interesting, of their best of each year I've seen the following bolded

The River - Jean Renoir (1951)
Voyage to Italy - Robert Rossellini (1954)
A Man Escaped - Robert Bresson (1956)
A King in New York - Charlie Chaplin (1957)
Touch of Evil - Orson Welles (1958)
Ugetsu Monogatari - Kenji Mizoguchi  (1959)
Sansho the Bailiff -Kenji Mizoguchi (1960)
Lola - Jacques Demy (1961)
Vivre Sa Vie - Jean-Luc Godard (1962)
Contempt - Jean-Luc Godard (1963)
Bande à Part - Jean-Luc Godard (1964)
Pierrot le Fou - Jean-Luc Godard (1965)
Au hasard Balthazar - Robert Bresson (1966)
Persona - Ingmar Bergman (1966)

The Chronicle of Anna Magdalena Bach - Danièle Huillet (1968)
The Aviator's Wife - Éric Rohmer (1981)
A Room in Town - Jacques Demy (1982)
To Our LIves - Maurice Pialat (1983)
Full Moon in Paris - Éric Rohmer (1984)
Hail Mary - Jean-Luc Godard (1985)
The Green Ray - Éric Rohmer (1986)
Under The Sun of Satan - Maurice Pialat (1987)
A Short Film about Killing - Krzysztof Kieślowski (1988)
Do The Right Thing - Spike Lee (1989)
Freeze Die Come to LIfe -  Vitali Kanevsky (1990)
Van Gogh - Maurice Pialat (1991)
Unforgiven - Clint Eastwood (1992)
A Perfect World - Clint Eastwood (1993)
Caro diario - Nanni Moretti (1994)
La Cérémonie - Claude Chabrol (1995)
Crash - David Cronenberg (1996)
Hana-bi - Takeshi Kitano (1997)
Flowers of Shangai - Hou Hsiao-hsien (1998)
Eyes Wide Shut - Stanley Kubrick (1999)
The Bridges of Madison County - Clint Eastwood (2000)
Esther Khan - Arnaud Desplechin (2001)
Mulholland Dr. - David Lynch (2002)
Secret Things - Jean-Claude Brisseau (2003)
Tropical Malady - Apichatpong Weerasethakul (2004)
Last Days - Gus Van Sant (2005)
Private Fears in Public Places - Alain Resnais (2006)
Paranoid Park - Gus Van Sant (2007)
Redacted - Brian De Palma (2008)
Wild Grass - Alain Resnais (2009)
Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives - Apichatpong Weerasethakul (2010)
We Have a Pope - Nanni Moretti (2011)
Holy Motors - Leos Carax (2012)
Stranger by the Lake - Alain Guiraudie (2013)
Li'l Quinquin - Bruno Dumont (2014)
Mia Madre - Nanni Moretti (2015)
Toni Erdmann - Maren Ade (2016)
Twin Peaks Season 3 - David Lynch (2017)
The Wild Boys - Bertrand Mandico (2018)
The Image Book - Jean-Luc Godard (2019)
City Hall - Frederick Wiseman (2020)
First Cow - Kelly Reichardt (2021)

A few on there that I've been meaning to watch, but a lot of them I haven't even heard of, and in most cases I can think of a film or two from that year I prefer.

On 22/10/2022 at 14:09, leemond2008 said:

Oh hellz yeah

A black and white clown with a tiny top hat holds a spiked hammer. Below a scene of fire and bodies, and standing among them is a young woman dressed as a warrior angel.

Curtains closed, got me a mega pint of tea and I'm about to settle down for this, can't wait for it, been looking forward to this one for absolutely ages, madness to think it was delayed by 2 years for the bat-flu

I noticed you didn't follow up on this.

I started it Sunday evening but had to break for the F1 so only got about 25 mins in. Looking forward to finishing it tonight, thought it was brilliant from what i did see. Very atmospheric, unsettling and nails that B movie look that very few films manage without just looking crap.

Edited by AVFCDAN

3 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

I noticed you didn't follow up on this.

I started it Sunday evening but had to break for the F1 so only got about 25 mins in. Looking forward to finishing it tonight, thought it was brilliant from what i did see. Very atmospheric, unsettling and nails that B movie look that very few films manage without just looking crap.

oh man, I loved it, the soundtrack was one of the most prominent things for me, it expands on the story but is still very much left in the "what the **** is going on" territory, I think it'll take 4 or 5 films before his entire back story is properly fleshed out and I think that is exactly how Leone wants it, it'll keep the interest up.

As for the gore and brutality...well...lets just say that Art the Clown is a bit of a bastard 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, leemond2008 said:

oh man, I loved it, the soundtrack was one of the most prominent things for me, it expands on the story but is still very much left in the "what the **** is going on" territory, I think it'll take 4 or 5 films before his entire back story is properly fleshed out and I think that is exactly how Leone wants it, it'll keep the interest up.

As for the gore and brutality...well...lets just say that Art the Clown is a bit of a bastard 

I assume you recommend the first one as well then?

Doesn't seem to be as highly rated on IMDB but I'm definitely up for more of Art the clown!

31 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

I assume you recommend the first one as well then?

Doesn't seem to be as highly rated on IMDB but I'm definitely up for more of Art the clown!

I'd definitely recommend the first one...well its actually the second one (Art first came about in All Hallows Eve, another weird film and was played by a completely different actor, nowhere near as good but still worth seeing) 

The Terrifier 1 clearly has a much lower budget but man, they use it well, the shock factor is what carried this film, no one really knew who Art was and no one was expecting it to be as brutal as it was (once you have seen "that scene" you will understand) there is no plot at all, he's basically a mad ass killer clown hunting 2 girls.

Turn your brain off watch it, enjoy it, be grossed out by it.

image-w1280.jpg?format=1000w

Anatomy of a Murder - (Otto Preminger) This was a cracking courtroom drama film,  said to be very realistic, and that's the way it came across, but also still very gripping, James Steward, George C. Scott, and Lee Remick were all excellent as was pretty much everyone else.

• Like 1

On 24/10/2022 at 12:24, leemond2008 said:

I'd definitely recommend the first one...well its actually the second one (Art first came about in All Hallows Eve, another weird film and was played by a completely different actor, nowhere near as good but still worth seeing) 

The Terrifier 1 clearly has a much lower budget but man, they use it well, the shock factor is what carried this film, no one really knew who Art was and no one was expecting it to be as brutal as it was (once you have seen "that scene" you will understand) there is no plot at all, he's basically a mad ass killer clown hunting 2 girls.

Turn your brain off watch it, enjoy it, be grossed out by it.

I watched Terrifier 1 earlier and it’s definitely a lower budget version, very low budget in fact. I have to say the second one is better in almost every way but as you say the soundtrack is the most prominent thing and really helps.

The first one is the kind of movie you would see on Shudder, the second is worthy of a cinema release although not scheduled in the UK at the moment.

Â