The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

I know its a VT favourite, but I watched Sexy Beast again last night. Brilliant!

Not sure who is more frightening - Ben Kingsley or Ian McShane! 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, fightoffyour said:

Just watched Palm Springs again. Sounds stupid but there are actually quite a few scenes at the start that have a bit of pay off for a second viewing. Anyway I think it’s one of the funniest and just nicest films I’ve ever seen, brilliant. I could watch it again right now in an endless loop.

It's superb. Definitely one that would stand up to repeat viewings.

• Like 3

Watched Promising Young Women which is quite good and Carey Mulligan looks better than I have ever seen her.

Unfortunately then watched the Kong v Godzilla film which is just a complete mess. A plot would have been a good idea........

8 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

Just watched Palm Springs again. Sounds stupid but there are actually quite a few scenes at the start that have a bit of pay off for a second viewing. Anyway I think it’s one of the funniest and just nicest films I’ve ever seen, brilliant. I could watch it again right now in an endless loop.

Jake Gyllenhaal Reaction GIF

• Like 1

On 18/04/2021 at 00:48, fightoffyour said:

On 18/04/2021 at 02:03, Designer1 said:

It's superb. Definitely one that would stand up to repeat viewings.

Palm Springs

Watched based on all the good feedback,  superb entertainment and some fantastic scenes.

Loved it 9/10

• Like 3

On 17/04/2021 at 18:38, Xela said:

I know its a VT favourite, but I watched Sexy Beast again last night. Brilliant!

Not sure who is more frightening - Ben Kingsley or Ian McShane! 

Saw it in the theater with zero expectations and loved it. Stylish, funny, weird and scary. Perfect film at the perfect time. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, maqroll said:

The actor who plays the deaf drummer is good.The film is a bit slow though. 

Riz Ahmed

saw something the other day that he's the first muslim actor to ever receive a post actor oscar nod, didnt really like that they had to stick that on to his name but at the same time think he's incredibly proud of his background and does that himself to try and raise awareness of lack of diversity and opportunities, seems like a great guy and he's a brilliant actor (although i tried and i cant have his music), 11 years since 4 lions...was linked with Bond and some other big stuff, he's got the chops and the personality i just think unfortunately he hasn't got the stature, he's about 5 ft 4"

give hip hop saved my life podcast with him on it a listen to and definitely watch the night of and four lions if you havent already 

• Like 1

On 20/04/2021 at 07:22, villa4europe said:

Riz Ahmed

saw something the other day that he's the first muslim actor to ever receive a post actor oscar nod.

Mahershala Ali has two wins and he's Muslim. I'm wondering if he's the first British muslim actor to be nominated. 

Edit: Those were both for supporting actor - Riz is the first to be nominated for Best Actor.

On 18/04/2021 at 07:33, mykeyb said:

Watched Promising Young Women which is quite good and Carey Mulligan looks better than I have ever seen her.

Unfortunately then watched the Kong v Godzilla film which is just a complete mess. A plot would have been a good idea........

Giant Ape v Giant Lizard lizard smash things and themselves up a bit is is really as much of a plot as you need.

I found the side stories a hindrance 

Mortal Kombat is out today, I expect a masterpiece.

Stowaway on Netflix is another one I suspect will be rather like every other naff sci-fi flick they come out with these days, but even a bad pizza is a pizza.

One for the TV-series thread but ep 1 of fantasy series Shadow and Bone is also out today on Netflix

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, sne said:

Stowaway on Netflix is another one I suspect will be rather like every other naff sci-fi flick they come out with these days, but even a bad pizza is a pizza.

One for the TV-series thread but ep 1 of fantasy series Shadow and Bone is also out today on Netflix

Watched it y'day. Wouldn't bother. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Watched it y'day. Wouldn't bother. 

I think I rate it higher than that but it’s your classic 6/10 film, worth a watch but will not live long in the memory or require a repeat viewing.

41 minutes ago, sne said:

been trying to watch it for 2 weeks now, the amount of times ive found it only to be greeted by "MORTAL KOMBAT!!!!" and the 90s techno beat...

if this film doesnt have it somewhere i'll be disappointed

Â