The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

On 21/03/2021 at 17:02, Mark Albrighton said:

Out of interest, have there been any other films where it’s been released, the dust has settled and a few years later it’s re- released, essentially acting as it’s own reboot/remake? 

I know about the various blade runner cuts, I’ve read about “Heaven’s Gate” being cut down a couple of times and released in relatively quick succession.

But has any film had this re introduction to the cinema going public before (even if they can’t technically go to the cinemas)? Almost like a fully backed second chance, treating it as if the previous film doesn’t count?

That’s to everyone who may know, although I suspect both @Chindie and @Designer1 will be able to rattle off a few names between them.

The Donner cut of Superman 2 is well worth checking out. It's very sketchy and patched together from audition tapes and sketches and all sorts, but boy is it good. His original vision for those films was amazing. And the fiddled-about versions that were released were pretty good anyway.

• Like 2

Watched justice league

To be fair it is better, its almost a half decent film

The baddies are definitley better, the set up kinds of works even if it's hard to care because it's a bit bollocks and it gets a huge dose of lower expectations, the cgi is better for the baddies but ropey in other places 

That said... Its way too long, it's over endulgent, the last 10 minutes are the epitome of that, too many characters and lore, original I remember flash as not the TV character but this time I found him annoying and a bit shit - then the technical stuff, the aspect ratio is awful, the colour pallette is dull, the soundtrack / music is terrible and in some places bizarre and unfitting - then DC lfilms on general, they're an absolute mess, with hindsight now how do they do this film first then aquaman then flash then wonder woman 80s whatever it was called which doesn't fit to this at all then the batman SS and black Adam (not to mention shazzam...) none of it works or fits together in a cohesive way, this cut makes it look even drafter and clueless 

Stumbled across a short (12 mins) starring Katheryn Winnick called Stripped :

MV5BZjU5YjFkMjktZWI0Zi00OWU5LWJiNWMtOTFm

Very enjoyable film for obvious reasons. 

However, I didn't know about the the true story that it's based on and that is some messed up s**t. 

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/long_reads/1970-s-child-slavery-hard-labour-australian-racism-national-apology-stolen-children-tragic-and-triumphant-life-margaret-dupre-a7778506.html

"In 1977 a single mum of three left her home in Essex, bound for a new life in Australia. On arrival in Pinjarra, her kids were seized and forced into hard labour on a farm and she was sent to Perth. To survive she became a stripper and later a national pin-up girl."

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Rds1983 said:

Stumbled across a short (12 mins) starring Katheryn Winnick called Stripped :

MV5BZjU5YjFkMjktZWI0Zi00OWU5LWJiNWMtOTFm

Very enjoyable film for obvious reasons. 

However, I didn't know about the the true story that it's based on and that is some messed up s**t. 

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/long_reads/1970-s-child-slavery-hard-labour-australian-racism-national-apology-stolen-children-tragic-and-triumphant-life-margaret-dupre-a7778506.html

"In 1977 a single mum of three left her home in Essex, bound for a new life in Australia. On arrival in Pinjarra, her kids were seized and forced into hard labour on a farm and she was sent to Perth. To survive she became a stripper and later a national pin-up girl."

They managed to fit all that in in just 12 minutes 😮😮😮

46 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

They managed to fit all that in in just 12 minutes 😮😮😮

To be honest, I couldn't say, I was to distracted to concentrate on the plot and had to Google the story of what happened afterwards. 

• Haha 2

The missus has just informed me we have a NowTV account and have had for months.... Creation Stories here we come... possibly followed by Being Frank and then maybe Rudeboy (which I've seen in the cinema already)

55 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Debt Collector 2, Scott Adkins, not as good as the first but kills an hour and a half

That’s not the highest benchmark for decency is it 😂 I think I’ll give it a miss (along with part 1) 😁

Even being from Sutton is not enough for me to watch a Scott Adkins film. He makes Statham look like Laurence Olivier. 

(horses for courses though - clearly folk do enjoy his films) 

Edited by theboyangel
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

That’s not the highest benchmark for decency is it 😂 I think I’ll give it a miss (along with part 1) 😁

Even being from Sutton is not enough for me to watch a Scott Adkins film. He makes Statham look like Laurence Olivier. 

(horses for courses though - clearly folk do enjoy his films) 

Villa fan as well tips it for me 

Avengement is very good in all fairness

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Like 1

Looks like a black Adam trailer is coming tonight too

Hard to know how SS will go, could easily misplace the comedy, I don't think harley quinn is a good character and the last films biggest downfall was the awful baddie (not that there was a whole lot that was good about the last one...) it was also another DC film with terrible music / soundtrack 

Edited by villa4europe

On 21/03/2021 at 21:43, theboyangel said:

Just watched Palm Springs - a groundhog day type continuous time loop film starring Andy Samberg. 

Absolutely brilliant - very funny and.Samberg was excellent even with a more muted character to play. 

Very different to the Bill Murray film but just as good. Well.worth a watch

Just watched this after your recommendation. Very enjoyable 👍👍👍

• Like 2

Just finished the Synder cut 

On the whole I liked it , it’s certainly much better  than the original . I was a bit confused at times partly as I’d forgotten huge chunks of the first film that this follows , but I thought the extra running time allowed them to flesh out more plot and character. 

If I had to pick faults then quicksilver in the x-men movies is better than the flash for the comic relief  ,  iron man is better than Cyborg for the flying genius character , Thor’s encounters  with the Norwegian village are more amusing and better than Aquaman and Ebony Maw is better than steppenwolf ... I can’t be alone in thinking too much of the superhero universe seems very samey ?

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 1

Â