The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

25 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Another Netflix film, news of the world

Tom hanks as the only really recognisable cast member although I think the girl is up for awards for her performance, directed by Paul greengrass, western set in texas

Its a bit too slow for me, hanks gonna hanks, the girl is good, would say that IMO the star of this kind of film should be the cinematographer and its not, its nothing special and has some ropery CGI thrown in, it looks and feels like a cheap Netflix film at times which is a shame, the end is also postcarded from miles away

But its still a solid and enjoyable enough film, a bit like the dig, just a nice well acted watch, just nothibg spectacular 

Thats the girl from system crasher, well worth seeing of you haven't already, awesome performance in that one.

• Like 1

Watched 15 Minutes of War last night on Prime. Its about a bus full of children that are kidnapped by Somali rebels in Djibouti and the foreign legion snipers that rescue them. Based on true events, it’s quite a tense film that builds to some great action at the end. It’s come in for a lot of criticism because it’s a French film that doesn’t acknowledge French colonialism being bad, but if you take it for what it is, it’s a decent film. 

I did some reading after and bar a few details, it’s pretty much what happened in real life in 1976.

The link below details what really happened (according to the French Foreign Legion).

Spoiler

http://foreignlegion.info/1976-loyada-hostage-rescue-mission/

In early February 1976, two French Foreign Legion units were involved in an important hostage rescue mission in Loyada, a small village located at the border between modern-day Djibouti and Somalia, in the Horn of Africa. Their objective was to save 31 French children kidnapped by local militants from a Pan-Somali guerrilla organization supported by the Somali government...

Watched “Green Room” (2015) tonight.

Good little siege film, for those who haven’t seen it, essentially it’s Punk Band v Neo Nazis. I have a few quibbles, I think there’s a few too many nazi characters - I had a bit of a hard time telling them apart, it could have trimmed a couple.

But an enjoyable, pacy film, 7/10. I quite like films that have a small central cast, who are essentially trapped together and are having to get their way through the story one way or another so this ticked a few of those boxes for me.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Big Salad said:

Know a bit late to the game lol with this one, but watched 'Trainspotting' last night. Absolutely blown away with how great of a movie it was.  My emotions were all over the place with this one, wished had watched it way way sooner. Also never really thought Ewan McGregor was that top of an actor tbh, but he was brilliant in this.

One of my favourite films, it’s brilliant. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Big Salad said:

Know a bit late to the game lol with this one, but watched 'Trainspotting' last night. Absolutely blown away with how great of a movie it was.  My emotions were all over the place with this one, wished had watched it way way sooner. Also never really thought Ewan McGregor was that top of an actor tbh, but he was brilliant in this.

Great film and same about Ewan McGregor, always felt he must have an incredible agent to get the jobs he has had, very average actor but in this he was good.

Ps.. Martin Freeman  too, bloody awful except for one particular comedy series he appeared in.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Big Salad said:

One of my all time favourites. Remember watching it at New Street Odeon when it came out and was blown away by the acting, the grimness of the story but also being in hysterics as some of the scenes are comedy gold. 

Trainspotting 2 is ok, just feels like getting the cast back together for old times sake, but there are a few good moments in there. 

If you like the same sort of humour then Filth, the James McAvoy film, is worth a watch. The connection - all Irvine Welsh books. Well worth reading. 

• Like 2

Cop Land was on the other night. Hadn’t seen it for a very long time. Remember loving it when I was in my twenties and while it’s still a decent film it wasn’t as good as I had remembered. Fantastic cast but all of them not really firing on all cylinders. 

2 hours ago, Phil Silvers said:

Great film and same about Ewan McGregor, always felt he must have an incredible agent to get the jobs he has had, very average actor but in this he was good.

I don't think he's that big an actor, definitley well known but he's not in that many big films, dramas or blockbusters, take star wars out of it and his CV is very ordinary and even when he is in a decent size movie he's down in the supporting cast 

7 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I don't think he's that big an actor, definitley well known but he's not in that many big films, dramas or blockbusters, take star wars out of it and his CV is very ordinary and even when he is in a decent size movie he's down in the supporting cast 

His career rocketed with the Danny Boyle movies... Shallow Grave, Trainspotting, Life Less Ordinary....and I think he was meant to be in The Beach, but the studio wanted DiCaprio. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Phil Silvers said:

If you haven’t seen it, might be worth watching Season three of “Fargo” - you don’t really need to have seen the first two. McGregor is really good in that, twice. 

4 hours ago, Xela said:

His career rocketed with the Danny Boyle movies... Shallow Grave, Trainspotting, Life Less Ordinary....and I think he was meant to be in The Beach, but the studio wanted DiCaprio. 

He would have been brilliant in the beach. I can actually see now that the film was meant to be trainspotting in Thailand. It would've been even better with McGregor.

• Like 1

Following on from “Green Room” in a similar vein, I watched “Don’t Breathe” earlier. Really tense in places. I have a few complaints about the last 15 minutes and reading about it sounds like my recording of it missed a fairly pointless cold opening scene....but a good watch nonetheless, 7 or 8 out of 10.

• Like 1

For some reason I thought Christian Bale was originally lined up for the Beach and DiCaprio in line for American Psycho but somehow they ended up playing the other part. 

No doubt The Beach would’ve been better with Bale as the lead - maybe then they wouldn’t have messed around with a perfectly decent storyline. That film sucked.

• Like 1

Undisputed 2. Michael J White is the champ who gets set up in Russia deliberately to get sent down so he can fight the Prison champ in  a Illegal underground prison mafia controlled fightfest. Scot Adkins plays the Russian freight train prisoner come fighter. This one is set up as a kickboxing tournament rather than traditional boxing like the original and far superior undisputed starring Wesley Snipes and Ving Rhames. However it kills a couple of hours nicely and I’ve got to be honest I am really warming to Scott Adkins as an actor

Watched Close Encounters of the Third kind yesterday just cuz of all the hullabaloo over the anniversary and re-master.  I enjoyed it, but one thing that consistently stood out to me is just how f**king noisy that film is in many scenes that don't call for that noise. Spielberg had a thing for chaotic unnecessary noise back then. It really was quite jarring and infuriating. I don't mean the big set pieces. I mean a kid constantly making noise in the background. Kids screaming. The wife going batshit. Overly noisy crowds. Simultaneous shouty conversations going on in the one shot. He just seemed to have a hard-on for paralisingly distracting sound, and not really to the benefit of the scene. Other than that. Yeah, a good film.

On 11/04/2021 at 08:43, mykeyb said:

The Father, starring Anthony Hopkins and Olivia Coleman.

Hopkins should win awards for that performance 

won the BAFTA last night

i'll get round to it (and nomadland which won best film last night) its quite short from what i've seen, only about 90 mins long

On 11/04/2021 at 01:12, It's Your Round said:

The Red Sea Diving Resort, very good film based on a true story. I really enjoyed it but just looking at reviews and it’s been slated. Kinda reaffirms I’m right to make my own mind up on things. 

I thought it was ok but annoyed me a bit as came at a time when Netflix were making a lot of Pro Israeli movies, not that I care for the politics but just for the story purposes

Â