The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Color Out of Space (2019)

Color Out of Space was good-ish but not great. Lovecraft inspired movies seldom are sadly.

I was hoping it be as good as 2018 Mandy but it wasn't. Still, it's a very Nicolas Cage movie and performance and if you liked the Annihilation vibe and look you might like this one. It's very niche.

Probably a 6.5-7/10 but since I like the genre i'll give it a 7.5/10 Cosmic horror ftw. Try watching this one while high, I dare you :D  (not that I've done so)

On 28/01/2020 at 04:20, tonyh29 said:

Finally watched The boy in the striped pyjamas last night  , the last film I watched before it being Son of Saul  , needless to say I think the next film I watch will be a bit more uplifting  maybe Downfall or something  !!!

Could just be my take on it all and I've missed something but I felt the concept of Bruno was somewhat flawed though presumably he's a metaphor for the myth that the Germans weren't aware of the horrors going on around them  and maybe it was me but you were kinda asked to fell sorry for Bruno and his mum and sister  … even the father  .. yet feel no real sympathy for Shmuel  .. or the others in the camp  ... but still an "enjoyable" film

Without being the guy who says "the book is much better than the movie" I want to point out that TBINTSP was originally a children's book. Adapting it for an adult audience was always going to be a very difficult task and it lost a lot of why it was a best seller by trying to appeal to older people.

For me "Life is Beautiful" is yet to be bettered on the subject matter.

1 minute ago, choffer said:

Finally got my copy of the Lighthouse from the US. Been banned from watching it until tonight. Can’t wait though. 

Watched it again last night, its absolutely mad!

"Ye fond of me lobster though aint ye" 

• Like 2

Watched Ingrid Goes West last night (on Netflix)

very easy to watch comedy about mental health and the effects of social media. 

attempted to watch uncut gems but the other half couldn’t deal with every other word being an expletive and lasted 10 mins - will have to watch on my own soon... 

2 hours ago, theboyangel said:

attempted to watch uncut gems but the other half couldn’t deal with every other word being an expletive and lasted 10 mins - will have to watch on my own soon... 

It's definitely worth it, but you need to be in the mood for such a high-emotional-intensity 2 and a bit hours. I've never seen a film that gets at the feeling of sports gambling so well.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

It's definitely worth it, but you need to be in the mood for such a high-emotional-intensity 2 and a bit hours. I've never seen a film that gets at the feeling of sports gambling so well.

Yep, heard good things about it. Just need to find time to watch it. 

Apparently music bio-picks is the next cash cow after super heroes. Everyone is getting one this year after the success of Rocket Man and Bohemian Rhapsody.

Elvis, Dylan, Aretha Franklin, Bowie, John & Yoko, Tammy Wynette & George Jones, The Shaggs and I'm sure there are more coming as it's always an Oscar nomination for the actors and big money for the film studios.

Just now, sne said:

Apparently music bio-picks is the next cash cow after super heroes. Everyone is getting one this year after the success of Rocket Man and Bohemian Rhapsody.

Elvis, Dylan, Aretha Franklin, Bowie, John & Yoko, Tammy Wynette & George Jones, The Shaggs and I'm sure there are more coming as it's always an Oscar nomination for the actors and big money for the film studios.

Interested in the Bowie one as it's the very talented Johnny Flynn playing him. 

• Like 2

Just now, Designer1 said:

Interested in the Bowie one as it's the very talented Johnny Flynn playing him. 

Yeah I'm sure there might be some gems in there.

It's just a bit boring that as soon as something is a hit every studio has to pump out exactly the same thing. They all want a sure thing and I get that, but it's boring.

• Like 1

depends on the tone for me, usually hate it when they do a reimagining of the music (rocketman) 

and I want the film to actually say something, I like a cock on the block type bio film, john and yoko for example if they threw both of them under the bus and said something against popular opinion id be really interested in it, BR from memory didn't really say anything of interest that a bog standard 30 min documentary wouldn't cover

Â