The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

18 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I generally dislike Wes Anderson movies.

There. I said it.

Yep.

I've seen a couple that are ok but in general they are a bit too pretentious 

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

I generally dislike Wes Anderson movies.

There. I said it.

1 hour ago, Xela said:

Yep.

I've seen a couple that are ok but in general they are a bit too pretentious 

We can never be friends. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Fantastic Mr Fox and Isle of Dogs are the best things he's done. Everything else is meh.

Nah I get that he's not for everyone. His visual and storytelling style is so unique that I'd imagine quite a few people not getting on with it.

He's never done a minute of film I haven't loved tbh.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

We can never be friends. 

He needs a Danny Dyer or Craig Fairbrass in there to add some ooomphh. I want to see Owen Wilson get chinned and be called a fackin' melt!

Seriously though, I did quite like The Grand Budapest Hotel. 

30 minutes ago, Xela said:

He needs a Danny Dyer or Craig Fairbrass in there to add some ooomphh. I want to see Owen Wilson get chinned and be called a fackin' melt!

Seriously though, I did quite like The Grand Budapest Hotel. 

a remake of Green Street by Wes Anderson

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Xela said:

Watched I, Robot, again the other night. One of my favourite sci-fi movies.

a couple of pages back I said will smith surprisingly has a long list of shit films

however I robot is not one of them, been a while since ive seen it though, how does it stand up CGI wise?

• Like 1

On 11/02/2020 at 21:37, Davkaus said:

I feel like at least 2 of them could have been saved by someone being brave enough to say "guys, literally nobody likes aquaman"

Over 1 billion dollars in box office means someone liked Aquaman. 

11 hours ago, villa4europe said:

a couple of pages back I said will smith surprisingly has a long list of shit films

however I robot is not one of them, been a while since ive seen it though, how does it stand up CGI wise?

I think its stood up well. The early scenes in the street with the older, well used robots, is a bit Bladerunner-ish, in terms of the dystopian look, which I like. 

I don't think the CGI intrudes at all, and isn't that noticeable, IMO

Watched 'Love and Peace', this is the third SIon Sono film I've watched recently, but it's completey different from Love Exposure and Tokyo Vampire Hotel, as it's a family movie, but still just as crazy in it's own way. Hard to describe without going through the whole plot, but it's basically about a guy with no friends that ends up befriending a terrapin and tells it his dreams and wishes, the terrapin ends up in the sewer system where it comes across a sort of underground toy workshop where there's this character that collects abandoned toys and pets and brings them to life and gives them the power of speech (like Toy Story but done with puppets rather than CGI), except in the case of the terrapin which he accidently gives the power to grant wishes instead, which is when the main characters dreams of becoming a rock star start coming true... I thought it was excellent, starts of silly but gets more deep as it goes on whilst remaing fun, I especially liked the way the talking toys have a lot of depth to them, and you can actually feel sorry for their situation.

• Like 2

Birds Of Prey was ok, it was basically a decent Netflix movie. 

Margot Robbie was more than watchable and there was some decent supporting performances from Jurnee Smollett-Bell and Ella Jay Basco. 

Not much of a story to be honest, but it was a passable couple of hours. 

Â