The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Some googling alerted me to "Zathura". Which I'd never **** heard of. But seems to be a sequel of sorts to the original Jumanji

Zuthura is great fun! Much better than the original Jumanji imo.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sne said:

Already posted my Movies of the year list and has not seen this one but my buddy who is a serious Cinemaphile has this one at the top of his movies of the year list so I'm going to check it out.

It's a Danish film originally came out in 2018 called "Den Skyldige" Might be something

The Guilty Poster

Thanks for this, it sounds excellent. It's on Netflix so I've added it to my list :thumb:

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Just to shit on idols a little. Robin Williams was part of the problem. I don't think he was very funny so I hate pretty much all of his films. 

I liked him in movies but I found a lot of his stand up and chat show appearances horribly cringeworthy

Edited by Stevo985

working my way through a list of recent horror flicks I've yet to see.

Started off with Bliss, a film I really didn't have any great expectations about. And turns out I was right.

Not really a horror movie to begin with although it has some gore and a bit of nudity. It's mostly a drug infused psychosis where we follow a young painter in L.A while she's trying to get a painting done.

It looks kinda good-ish but is overall pretty standard fare.

Has around 5.5 on IMBD and Metascore and that's about right.

Bliss Poster

Up next is 

1. Endzeit
  2. Hagazussa
  3. Tigers are not afraid
  4. Ready or not

Not necessarily in that order.

Give Endzeit as miss.

It's a no budget after the zombie outbreak flick that follows a very small number of people doing very little.

It's been done a 1000 times before and this offers nothing new. It looks like a school project and I guess it is.

Whoever put this on their movies of the year list must be related to those who made it.

Ever After Poster

3/10

edit: Turns out it was made by a Swedish director living in Berlin :D 

Edited by sne

Watched Grand Budapest Hotel, was better than I was expecting, liked the way it looked and thought Ralph Fiennes's character was amusing. Reminded me in a lot of ways to Jaques Tati's Playtime, so wasn't surprised to read afterwards that Anderson has named Tati as an influence.

Edited by useless

Watched The Lobster this evening. I remember the trailer sparking curiosity when it came out a few years ago, finally got round to watching it. 

I have no adequate words to sum up the insanity of that film. Feel strangely affectionate towards it but I don't understand it at all

• Like 2

On 06/01/2020 at 12:05, sne said:

Already posted my Movies of the year list and has not seen this one but my buddy who is a serious Cinemaphile has this one at the top of his movies of the year list so I'm going to check it out.

It's a Danish film originally came out in 2018 called "Den Skyldige" Might be something

The Guilty Poster

Watched this on Netflix last night and thought it was brilliant. As tense and engrossed as I have felt watching a film in some time. Cheers for the recommendation!

• Thanks 1

Watched Yesterday, well, yesterday. Disappointed. It wasn't awfull but could've been done so much better. Not very funny at all, rather poor acting and a weak story that could've been done better with. And Ed Sheeran. I expected it at least to be a lot more fun. I think I laughed a little two or three times. The best part was probably in the end when he met... And the thought of a world without Oasis is quite nice.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Pelle said:

Watched Yesterday, well, yesterday. Disappointed. It wasn't awfull but could've been done so much better. Not very funny at all, rather poor acting and a weak story that could've been done better with. And Ed Sheeran. I expected it at least to be a lot more fun. I think I laughed a little two or three times. The best part was probably in the end when he met... And the thought of a world without Oasis is quite nice.

they went down the paint by numbers rom com route and it ended up being a bit boring

its typical Richard Curtis

I'm over my Danny Dyer phase in movies now... moved on to far more cultured and nuanced actors - Scott Adkins (Sutton Coldfield's very own Steven Seagal) and the ultimate gangster, Craig Fairbrass. If he's in a film and and shouts "you facking cant" a lot then you know its going to be a belter. 

• Like 1

Ford Vs Ferrari...Ken Miles the Ford driver and star of the team (and the film )........and a Villa fan , his son has the shirt on for the race. Good film 8/10 

"Cheese and.onion cob"

1 hour ago, tinker said:

Ford Vs Ferrari...Ken Miles the Ford driver and star of the team (and the film )........and a Villa fan , his son has the shirt on for the race. Good film 8/10 

"Cheese and.onion cob"

You tell it's a Villa Forum because every review of this film mentions the Villa shirt :P.

Watched the Coen Brothers' True Grit on Netflix today. Not a classic, but a very good film if you like a good Wild West revenge story. Beautiful landscapes, funny dialogue, and occasional flashes of extreme violence. Brilliant performance from Hailee Steinfeld. Recommended.

• Like 2

Â