The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Should probably have just called it Harley Quinn: Birds of Prey in the first place rather than Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn). Not like it has done terribly is it $33.4 mil opening weekend in the middle of feb, next highest was bad boys on $12.1 and the 9 other movies that made up the top 10 (including bad boys) only took a combined $48.5 mil.

Over here Zavvi have launched an entire BOP/Harley clothing line & pre-orders for the 4k steelbook sold out in a couple of hours. It wil sell an awful lot on blu-ray & digital when it gets a home release

It's not been a complete flop but it's not exactly done well at all either. It's opened in the same window that Deadpool did, with the same audience theoretically, for similar money, and reviewed decently well, and it's had a spluttering start. Warner won't be happy with the opening weekend.

On the plus side it's got a decent chance at having some legs as there's bugger all chasing the same audience coming out for the better part of a month iirc.

It's not a bad film by any means but nobody wants to watch a Birds of Prey movie.

1917 was very good, better than Dunkirk (I know different wars) Main actor was very good and the big stars didnt stay on screen too long to take over.

I am surprised not many WW1 movies these days and thought was some homage to Paths of Glory in it. Get a bit fatigued with WW2 movies, WW1 is more interesting as not been done as much

only issue for me was 

Spoiler

Germans couldnt shoot for shit in the film

• Like 3

5 hours ago, LakotaDakota said:

Should probably have just called it Harley Quinn: Birds of Prey in the first place rather than Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn). Not like it has done terribly is it $33.4 mil opening weekend in the middle of feb, next highest was bad boys on $12.1 and the 9 other movies that made up the top 10 (including bad boys) only took a combined $48.5 mil.

Over here Zavvi have launched an entire BOP/Harley clothing line & pre-orders for the 4k steelbook sold out in a couple of hours. It wil sell an awful lot on blu-ray & digital when it gets a home release

It's quite amusing watching DC trying and failing to recreate Marvel's success. They've got another 7 films coming out in the next 2 years, ffs. And they'll all be crap.

If people could just get over this superhero bullshit for a few years, that'd be great.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

It's quite amusing watching DC trying and failing to recreate Marvel's success. They've got another 7 films coming out in the next 2 years, ffs. And they'll all be crap.

If people could just get over this superhero bullshit for a few years, that'd be great.

I think Marvel built up a core audience over time, DC just went straight in with big names for quick money and it has looked as bad as you would expect

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

1917 was very good, better than Dunkirk (I know different wars) Main actor was very good and the big stars didnt stay on screen too long to take over.

I am surprised not many WW1 movies these days and thought was some homage to Paths of Glory in it. Get a bit fatigued with WW2 movies, WW1 is more interesting as not been done as much

only issue for me was 

Hide contents

Germans couldnt shoot for shit in the film

Biggest hole for me was time

Unless I misunderstood something: (big spoilers)

Spoiler

They say at the start it'll take them 8 or 9 hours (I think) to get where they need to go. The guy reluctant to go says something like "it'll take us 8 hours so we can afford to wait until dark"

So I was sat there thinking "Well I know this is all one shot (or made to look like one shot) so unless this film is 8 hours long we must have a break somewhere"

We did get the break (when he gets knocked out after killing that German in the tower) but he's not moving during the break. Yet he gets to his destination on time (more or less). So the journey only takes him like 2 hours or so.

I know he travels in the truck for a bit, but that's only a couple of minutes, and half the time they're pushing it out of that hole and then stuck at the bridge, so they don't travel very far at all. And he gets carried down the river, but again that's very brief.

Maybe I misunderstood something. Seems like very easy thing to avoid. Just don't put that line in at the start saying it'll take 8 hours and the issue isn't there.

Edited by Stevo985

48 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

DC tried to rush the Marvel method and made a few mistakes in trying. Firstly in rushing it it became painfully clear they were chasing the Avengers dollar. Secondly they gave the creative reins to Zack Snyder, who isn't the man for that job. When BvS made that obvious, they bottled Justice League and basically everything since then has been a rescue job. Brilliantly they've now landed with a complete hash of a situation, where they've had some stuff land (Robbie's Harley Quinn, Wonder Woman mainly) but the wider universe died on its arse, so they've quietly shoved the stuff that failed into a bin and carried on the stuff that didn't, whilst also rebooting the failures (Batman) and doing completely unrelated stuff (Joker).

43 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

2016: Suicide Squad

2021: The Suicide Squad

Image result for why gif

There was enough in the original film that worked (Harley mostly) that they're convinced theres DC's Guardians of the Galaxy in there somewhere. So they hired James Gunn to make sure.

32 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I feel like at least 2 of them could have been saved by someone being brave enough to say "guys, literally nobody likes aquaman"

Kids like Aquaman. And Momoa is liked. Oddly enough the solo Aquaman film, once you got past how completely stupid it is, is one of the best things they've done. A low bar, but still.

11 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Is this like when they kept making Fantastic 4 films even though they were all shite?

No. The Fantastic 4 thing was a licensing thing. Fox had the rights so long as they kept using them, so they made the awful reboot. In DCs case, Warner owns DC and there's not really any of the licensing nonsense with DC (there's some wrangles over historic ownership, but that's really, really tedious rubbish). It's more a case of Warner trying to get an ensemble Guardians equivalent, where they've had some characters catch on, but which are thin on the ground in the DC lineup. Marvel has team ups coming out of its arse, DC much less so - they basically have the Justice League, the villain equivalent, and the Suicide Squad, which have ever really gone anywhere. Otherwise it's more 'families' of characters - the Flash family, the Bat Family, Lanterns... None of which really fill the gap.

• Like 1

On a roll at the moment  , Jo Jo last week , Parasite last night ... doubt I'll see 2 better films in the rest of 2020

I went into the cinema knowing nothing other than it was in Korean and it had won a couple of Oscars   , no actual idea of plot ....  really  enjoyed the film , but that said the "twist " when the housekeeper returns just  didn't work for me , nor did

the dad going from likeable rogue  to cold-blooded killer

that said  , it is a good film , but  the awards people should have given it to Jo Jo rabbit , its a better overall film than parasite , IMO

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

On a roll at the moment  , Jo Jo last week , Parasite last night ... doubt I'll see 2 better films in the rest of 2020

I went into the cinema knowing nothing other than it was in Korean and it had won a couple of Oscars   , no actual idea of plot ....  really  enjoyed the film , but that said the "twist " when the housekeeper returns just  didn't work for me , nor did

Hide contents

the dad going from likeable rogue  to cold-blooded killer

that said  , it is a good film , but  the awards people should have given it to Jo Jo rabbit , its a better overall film than parasite , IMO

Glad you liked it for the most and I agree re jojo rabbit, its a masterpiece 

• Like 1

Â