The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

I hope the scope of music bios grows in the next 12 months or so, it may bring the almost mythical GG Allin biopic to fruition.

As for Lords of Chaos, well, Howling Moon is one heck of a song. That's really all I've got to say about that.

I have to give a mention to the passing of Kirk Douglas, such a wonderful actor and truly the last of that golden generation of iconic movie stars. I know Sparticus is the Douglas movie everyone remembers, but for me his best performance was that deeply complex character he portrayed in Detective Story. The sensitivity he brought to that role was amazing and a lesson in acting. 

He was a courageous man in life also, refusing to be intimidated by the Mccarthy witch hunt and allowing blacklisted writers to be given credit in their own names. Also a generous giver to charity. He will live long in the memory for all the right reasons. To live a 103,yrs on this earth and remain dignified to the end is a testament to this wonderful man. RIP

• Like 2

On 05/02/2020 at 13:01, hogso said:

I hope the scope of music bios grows in the next 12 months or so, it may bring the almost mythical GG Allin biopic to fruition.

As for Lords of Chaos, well, Howling Moon is one heck of a song. That's really all I've got to say about that.

the Todd Philips documentary about Allin was one of the craziest things i've ever watched. 

Trailers out for Saw reboot Spiral, doesn't show much apart from Chris Rock spouting a few clichés and Sam Jackson doing his bad mofo line.

I personally was a fan of the Saw franchise but of the first film in particular, will be interesting to see where they go with this, its intriguing because Chris Rock seems to be listed as a writer and producer and seemed to be the main person pushing for this film to be made.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

I have to give a mention to the passing of Kirk Douglas, such a wonderful actor and truly the last of that golden generation of iconic movie stars. I know Sparticus is the Douglas movie everyone remembers, but for me his best performance was that deeply complex character he portrayed in Detective Story. The sensitivity he brought to that role was amazing and a lesson in acting. 

He was a courageous man in life also, refusing to be intimidated by the Mccarthy witch hunt and allowing blacklisted writers to be given credit in their own names. Also a generous giver to charity. He will live long in the memory for all the right reasons. To live a 103,yrs on this earth and remain dignified to the end is a testament to this wonderful man. RIP

Natalie Wood says Hi

sure , the rumour has been around for years but every indication seems to be that the event happened , i suspect we will hear more about it in the coming months

22 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

the Todd Philips documentary about Allin was one of the craziest things i've ever watched. 

Yes, some fantastic live footage captured via that docu which would never have been otherwise. It's one of those where if it hadn't been recorded and you couldn't see it, you'd question if some of those things had actually happened, or were they instead a gross (literally!) exaggeration of what happened, adding to his particular mythos. 

But nope, he really did fight with and attempt to rape female audience members during shows, mutilate himself, throw his own shit at the crowd, etc. 

Truly a special kinda character, and by extension, band - absolutely ripe for adaptation, in a similar way to Throbbing Gristle, The Gerogerigegege, Hanatarash... 

Edited by hogso
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Natalie Wood says Hi

sure , the rumour has been around for years but every indication seems to be that the event happened , i suspect we will hear more about it in the coming month

I didn't know Natalie was still alive. Robert Wagner will be relieved. 

Birds of Prey.

Surprisingly good. It's not really a Bird's of Prey movie, because nobody would watch a Bird's of Prey movie, it's a Margot Robbie Harley Quinn movie with a supporting cast. And it has an obvious debt to the Deadpool thing with the violence and swearing. But it's good.

Biggest problems? It's very, very, very slight. The fundamental story here is absolutely minute. The film pads things by jumping to back story over and over for the first 2 thirds. It doesn't really develop its new characters, and particularly Huntress is completely underused. I'm not really a fan of the look of most of the characters, Canary and Huntress especially look horrifically bad, although I think Harley benefits from looking less like a hooker.

On the plus side - much of the action is excellent. John Wick excellent (because a bunch of scenes were done by Wick's choreographer). It's quite funny at times. It's shot quite well. And McGregor as Roman Sionis is great - he's taken a really D tier Batman villain and actually given him personality, by making him a slightly camp weirdo who can flip from smarm to menace in a heartbeat.

Better than than a lot of DCEU stuff (a low bar, sure).

Edited by Chindie
  • Like 1

Full list of winners (for anyone who cares 😁)

Best picture

Winner: Parasite
Ford v Ferrari
The Irishman
Jojo Rabbit
Joker
Little Women
Marriage Story
Once Upon A Time in Hollywood

Best actress

Winner: Renee Zellweger - Judy
Cynthia Erivo - Harriet
Scarlett Johansson - Marriage Story
Saoirse Ronan - Little Women
Charlize Theron - Bombshell

Best actor

Winner: Joaquin Phoenix - Joker
Antonio Banderas - Pain and Glory
Leonardo DiCaprio - Once Upon A Time in Hollywood
Adam Driver - Marriage Story
Jonathan Pryce - The Two Popes

Best supporting actress

Winner: Laura Dern - Marriage Story
Kathy Bates - Richard Jewell
Scarlett Johansson - Jojo Rabbit
Florence Pugh - Little Women
Margot Robbie - Bombshell

Best supporting actor

Winner: Brad Pitt - Once Upon A Time in Hollywood
Tom Hanks - A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood
Sir Anthony Hopkins - The Two Popes
Al Pacino - The Irishman
Joe Pesci - The Irishman

Best director

Winner: Parasite - Bong Joon-ho
The Irishman - Martin Scorsese
Joker - Todd Phillips
1917 - Sam Mendes
Once Upon A Time in Hollywood - Quentin Tarantino

Best original screenplay

Winner: Parasite - Bong Joon-ho & Han Jin Won
Knives Out - Rian Johnson
Marriage Story - Noah Baumbach
1917 - Sam Mendes & Krysty Wilson-Cairns
Once Upon A Time in Hollywood - Quentin Tarantino

Best adapted screenplay

Winner: Jojo Rabbit - Taika Waititi
The Irishman - Steven Zaillian
Joker - Todd Phillips & Scott Silver
Little Women - Greta Gerwig
The Two Popes - Anthony McCarten

Best animated feature

Winner: Toy Story 4
How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World
I Lost My Body
Klaus
Missing Link

Best documentary feature

Winner: American Factory
The Cave
The Edge of Democracy
For Sama
Honeyland

Best international feature

Winner: Parasite - South Korea
Corpus Christi - Poland
Honeyland - North Macedonia
Les Miserables - France
Pain and Glory - Spain

Best original song

Winner: (I'm Gonna) Love Me Again - Rocketman (Elton John & Bernie Taupin)
I Can't Let You Throw Yourself Away - Toy Story 4 (Randy Newman)
I'm Standing With You - Breakthrough (Diane Warren)
Into the Unknown - Frozen 2 (Kristen Anderson-Lopez & Robert Lopez)
Stand Up - Harriet (Joshuah Brian Campbell & Cynthia Erivo)

Best original score

Winner: Joker - Hildur Guðnadóttir
Little Women - Alexandre Desplat
Marriage Story - Randy Newman
1917 - Thomas Newman
Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker - John Williams

Best cinematography

Winner: 1917 - Roger Deakins
The Irishman - Rodrigo Prieto
Joker - Lawrence Sher
The Lighthouse - Jarin Blaschke
Once Upon A Time in Hollywood - Robert Richardson

Best visual effects

Winner: 1917 - Guillaume Rocheron, Greg Butler & Dominic Tuohy
Avengers: Endgame - Dan DeLeeuw, Russell Earl, Matt Aitken & Dan Sudick
The Irishman - Pablo Helman, Leandro Estebecorena, Nelson Sepulveda-Fauser & Stephane Grabli
The Lion King - Robert Legato, Adam Valdez, Andrew R Jones & Elliot Newman
Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker - Roger Guyett, Neal Scanlan, Patrick Tubach & Dominic Tuohy

Best film editing

Winner: Ford v Ferrari - Michael McCusker & Andrew Buckland
The Irishman - Thelma Schoonmaker
Jojo Rabbit - Tom Eagles
Joker - Jeff Groth
Parasite - Yang Jinmo

Best costume design

Winner: Little Women - Jacqueline Durran
The Irishman - Sandy Powell & Christopher Peterson
Jojo Rabbit - Mayes C Rubeo
Joker - Mark Bridges
Once Upon A Time in Hollywood - Arianne Phillips

Best sound editing

Winner: Ford v Ferrari - Donald Sylvester
Joker - Alan Robert Murray
1917 - Oliver Tarney & Rachael Tate
Once Upon A Time in Hollywood - Wylie Stateman
Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker - Matthew Wood & David Acord

Best sound mixing

Winner: 1917 - Mark Taylor & Stuart Wilson
Ad Astra - Gary Rydstrom, Tom Johnson & Mark Ulano
Ford v Ferrari - Paul Massey, David Giammarco & Steven A Morrow
Joker - Tom Ozanich, Dean Zupancic & Tod Maitland
Once Upon A Time in Hollywood - Michael Minkler, Christian P Minkler & Mark Ulano

Best production design

Winner: Once Upon A Time in Hollywood - Barbara Ling & Nancy Haigh
The Irishman - Bob Shaw & Regina Graves
Jojo Rabbit - Ra Vincent & Nora Sopková
1917 - Dennis Gassner & Lee Sandales
Parasite - Lee Ha Jun & Cho Won Woo

Best make-up and hairstyling

Winner: Bombshell - Kazu Hiro, Anne Morgan & Vivian Baker
Joker - Nicki Ledermann & Kay Georgiou
Judy - Jeremy Woodhead
Maleficent: Mistress of Evil - Paul Gooch, Arjen Tuiten & David White
1917 - Naomi Donne, Tristan Versluis & Rebecca Cole

Best live action short

Winner: The Neighbors' Window
Brotherhood
Nefta Football Club
Saria
A Sister

Best animated short

Hair Love
Dcera (Daughter)
Kitbull
Memorable
Sister

Best documentary short

Winner: Learning to Skateboard in a Warzone (If You're a Girl)
In the Absence
Life Overtakes Me
St Louis Superman
Walk Run Cha-Cha

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Well deserved Best Picture Oscar for Parasite

spacer.png

:thumb:

Was showing my other half the trailer for this yesterday and she wasn't THAT convinced. Genuinely didn't know it was up for Best picture so the fact it's won should tip her over the edge to wanting to go with me (if we can find anywhere showing it)

30 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Hoping this will go on wider release now following the Oscar.  Nowhere near me seems to be showing it.

FEw places in Birmingham showing it this week.

Electric, Cineworld Broad Street, Everyman

I've seen 6/9 of the best picture films, haven't seen parasite but will get round to that and jojo rabbit at some point leaving just little women off, wouldn't say any of them are absolutely stunning incredible 10/10 films 

not seen judy but johansson is excellent in marriage story, would say dern was just ok in that so surprised she's cleaned up, glad pitt won as I quite like him and he sounded a bit nervous in his acceptance speech and I think he's right they should add an award for stunts, poor year for animated films

Finally got round to seeing 1917 last night.

Absolutely loved it. Loved the way it was shot and loved the crushing bleakness of it all. Good performances all round as well with some excellent cameos.

Some very emotional bits too. One part in particular had me sobbing.

Not sure it was an absolute 10/10 effort, but very good.

• Like 1

Glad for Parasite - though still need to see it. I did think 1917 cleaning up at the Baftas was OTT, as much I did enjoy it. 

Happy to see there was a win for Rocketman as I loved that film last year, and if the Queen film hadn't inexplicably picked up awards last year, then Taron Egerton, Dexter Fletcher might have received some nominations. 

Â