The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

12 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

depends on the tone for me, usually hate it when they do a reimagining of the music (rocketman) 

and I want the film to actually say something, I like a cock on the block type bio film, john and yoko for example if they threw both of them under the bus and said something against popular opinion id be really interested in it, BR from memory didn't really say anything of interest that a bog standard 30 min documentary wouldn't cover

Yep, showing Lennon as the woman beating hypocrite that he was may raise a few eyebrows.

• Like 2

Apparently Dylan is producing the movie about himself so don't count on that one painting himself in too bad a light.

But Mangold who directed Walk The Line is doing it so might still be good I guess.

Edited by sne

@sne I have been following the George Jones film(s) saga for a few years and wasnt sure if it had moved on, both Georgette his daughter and Nancy, his last wife were supposedly doing films, anything from this year or last where it may have moved on, I am really hoping that it has as there are a few great tales to tell.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

@sne I have been following the George Jones film(s) saga for a few years and wasnt sure if it had moved on, both Georgette his daughter and Nancy, his last wife were supposedly doing films, anything from this year or last where it may have moved on, I am really hoping that it has as there are a few great tales to tell.

The one they mention on IMDB is called George and Tammy and stars Jessica Chastain as Tammy and is directed by Michael Showalter (possibly not a great sign) 

It's in pre -production so not much to go on.

I'd really like a Waylon Jennings bio-pick, now there is a man with stories. He even got 2 episodes on Mike Judge's "Tales from the Tour Bus" :D 

Then again so did George and Tammy so might wanna check that out if you haven't already, it's great fun.

Edited by sne

3 minutes ago, sne said:

The one they mention on IMDB is called George and Tammy and stars Jessica Chastain as Tammy and is directed by Michael Showalter (possibly not a great sign) 

It's in pre -production so not much to go on.

I'd really like a Waylon Jennings bio-pick, now there is a man with stories. He even got 2 episodes on Mike Judge's "Tales from the Tour Bus" :D 

Then again so did George and Tammy so might wanna check that out if you haven't already, it's great fun.

Thank you, I will.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, sne said:

I'd really like a Waylon Jennings bio-pick,

For some reason when I read this I thought you meant Damon Wayans and thought "that's a weird person to want a biopic of!)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, sne said:

I read one of his biographies and he lived a life. I had a problem with the Cash film Walk the line as like a lot of books it focused mainly on the period up to the early to mid 60s and the chronology was messed up. The thing with Waylon, he had an interesting early life, and then the buddy holly connection, as well as him running around with Willie,  Tompall Glaser and the drugs and also his marriage to Jessi Colter. Its maybe too niche for a UK market, possibly even for a US market but it would make a good film.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Seat68 said:

I read one of his biographies and he lived a life. I had a problem with the Cash film Walk the line as like a lot of books it focused mainly on the period up to the early to mid 60s and the chronology was messed up. The thing with Waylon, he had an interesting early life, and then the buddy holly connection, as well as him running around with Willie,  Tompall Glaser and the drugs and also his marriage to Jessi Colter. Its maybe too niche for a UK market, possibly even for a US market but it would make a good film.

And a whole lot of fantastic songs as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Designer1 said:

Yep, showing Lennon as the woman beating hypocrite that he was may raise a few eyebrows.

do the early 70s and show the heroin bust, the may pang stuff (and yoko's own affair) the sean / julian relationship, then the booze drugs and masturbation addiction...followed by the suggestion that he had ironically started to sort himself out when he was killed

31 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

do the early 70s and show the heroin bust, the may pang stuff (and yoko's own affair) the sean / julian relationship, then the booze drugs and masturbation addiction...followed by the suggestion that he had ironically started to sort himself out when he was killed

These are two different things, right? 

• Like 1

Music bios are a perfect storm for studios.

They're cheap - small casts, small productions, with major CGI sequences rare, etc.

They have a built in audience and can attract wide audiences just looking for good drama or standout performances.

They can get awards buzz.

It's like mana from heaven for Hollywood. Cheap, fast and big returns. With blockbusters getting ever more expensive, knocking out a few biopics with possible awards boost if you nail it, no brainer.

A Beautiful Day in the Neighbourhood - is a bit weird. 'Aggressive kindness' is how I think Kermode framed it, and that rings true, there are undoubtedly some decent / moving moments to it - Matthew Rhys is always excellent, but it wasn't quite the full on charmingly feel good film I'd been led to expect. The Mr Rogers character definitely comes across as a bit creepy.

Edited by Rodders

So finally , Jo Jo rabbit last night  ... quite often films you have high expectations for let you down   , thankfully this one didn't

I thought Joker had the best film Oscar sown up but if there is any justice in the world this film should take it  ..( though of course we know Hollywood is bent and it will go to 1917 but that's another story )

Primarily it's a comedy of course  but it  was just a  beautiful film  with some really poignant scenes ...  its both hilarious and sad  , even Scarlett Johansson not taking her clothes off didn't sour it .

if you ever wanted to show a film that ridicules hate and ignorance in the world this would be a good one to show

My favourite film is Harvey , maybe I'm just a sucker for films with imaginary friends .. though James Stewart drop kicking the rabbit through a window accompanied by "**** Off Harvey"  possibly wouldn't have worked  in the way it did for Jo Jo

• Like 3

My wife commented about all the Punxatawney Phil posts on FB the other day. No idea what it was all about.

It seems she has NEVER seen "Groundhog Day" 😮

That will be put right before the weekend.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

So finally , Jo Jo rabbit last night  ... quite often films you have high expectations for let you down   , thankfully this one didn't

I thought Joker had the best film Oscar sown up but if there is any justice in the world this film should take it  ..( though of course we know Hollywood is bent and it will go to 1917 but that's another story )

Primarily it's a comedy of course  but it  was just a  beautiful film  with some really poignant scenes ...  its both hilarious and sad  , even Scarlett Johansson not taking her clothes off didn't sour it .

if you ever wanted to show a film that ridicules hate and ignorance in the world this would be a good one to show

My favourite film is Harvey , maybe I'm just a sucker for films with imaginary friends .. though James Stewart drop kicking the rabbit through a window accompanied by "**** Off Harvey"  possibly wouldn't have worked  in the way it did for Jo Jo

I agree with all of this and without spoiling too much, the  final scene together with Jo jo and his mum, particularly the shoes really was done beautifully.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wainy316 said:

Watched Lords of Chaos which is based on the true story of Norwegian Black Metal, particularly the band Mayhem.

Mental collection of events.

A fascinating, if extremely dumb, period of cultural history. I thought the film covered it quite well, and it seems to have annoyed a lot of the people involved so that's a bonus. I watched it at The Electric in Brum with a crowd of Black Country heavy metallers who were honestly the nicest-but-dimmest bunch of people I've ever watched a film with. So gormlessly enthusiastic, it was very charming :D

2 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

A fascinating, if extremely dumb, period of cultural history. I thought the film covered it quite well, and it seems to have annoyed a lot of the people involved so that's a bonus. I watched it at The Electric in Brum with a crowd of Black Country heavy metallers who were honestly the nicest-but-dimmest bunch of people I've ever watched a film with. So gormlessly enthusiastic, it was very charming :D

I also kinda liked it, but it was dangerously close to being a MTV becoming the band movie at times. 

They took a lot of liberties and it's only natural for the persons who know what really happened to be a bit emotional. Especially since black metal is a black or white thing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wainy316 said:

Watched Lords of Chaos which is based on the true story of Norwegian Black Metal, particularly the band Mayhem.

Mental collection of events.

It was a pretty decent attempt to get over the absolute mayhem (lol) of that particular period, but it really didn't flesh out the main characters on the NBM scene enough and they ended up more like caricatures.

The book is much, much better.

Edited by Designer1
Speeling.
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, sne said:

I also kinda liked it, but it was dangerously close to being a MTV becoming the band movie at times. 

They took a lot of liberties and it's only natural for the persons who know what really happened to be a bit emotional. Especially since black metal is a black or white thing. 

30 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

It was a pretty decent attempt to get over the absolute mayhem (lol) of that particular period, but it really didn't flesh out the main characters on the NBM scene enough and they ended up more like caricatures.

The book is much, much better.

Yeah, the production values were, err, not brilliant in places. 

I can definitely imagine that it took a lot of liberties, but I don't necessarily mind that, as long as it isn't actually slanderous or something. 

I'm interested to read the book though. 

Â