The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

On 20/01/2020 at 15:32, HanoiVillan said:

Persepolis might be a good start? It has a child protagonist, but children are not at all the primary audience, and in fact the subject matter is completely serious. It's a great film too. 

id recommend waltz with bashir too

and then the obvious one after that is grave of the fireflies as said, incredible film, its up there as "best war film"

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 3

Having heard Kermode wax lyrical about this last year, I finally got round to checking it out. Not sure it quite lives up to his hyperbole (it never quite felt like a complete thing), it's still very enjoyable and it looks beautiful.

qXydlJp.jpg

• Like 1

I actually liked the new Terminator film but I get why people hate it. There were things I really didn't like about it but for the most part I found it entertaining. Definitely the best squeal after T2 for me

just_mercy_ver3_xlg.jpg

Saw this last night. Michael B Jordan and Jamie Foxx are great. A legal drama about a guy challenging the death penalty verdicts for his clients. Whilst in some sense the film is conventional, I still genuinely had no idea how the film would end as it went along, I mean Alabama was(is I guess) so f**king racist

Watched Son of Saul last night  , it's a tough watch due to the subject content but shows the activity within Auschwitz  from an incredible visual perspective  , whilst blurring most of the atrocities so it doesn't feel like you are a voyeur .... fascinating film  and reasonably accurate , though I'm sure actual conditions were far far worse than the film portrays   .... but I just found it so hard to follow ,  it was filmed this way deliberately  (in 40mm) but the camera angles and the way it followed a person then switched  it was just made it hard on the eye to watch  , maybe it would have been better on a cinema screen  though ??

it's probably on BBC iplayer and def worth a look

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Watched Son of Saul last night  , it's a tough watch due to the subject content but shows the activity within Auschwitz  from an incredible visual perspective  , whilst blurring most of the atrocities so it doesn't feel like you are a voyeur .... fascinating film  and reasonably accurate , though I'm sure actual conditions were far far worse than the film portrays   .... but I just found it so hard to follow ,  it was filmed this way deliberately  (in 40mm) but the camera angles and the way it followed a person then switched  it was just made it hard on the eye to watch  , maybe it would have been better on a cinema screen  though ??

it's probably on BBC iplayer and def worth a look

Top watch that one - It really affected me when I watched it a few years ago. The things that happen in the peripheral view are way more disturbing than anything explicit.

The dates for the Studio Ghibli films as they release on Netflix;

01/02/20

• Castle in the Sky
  • My Neighbor Totoro
  • Kiki’s Delivery Service
  • Only Yesterday
  • Porco Rosso
  • Ocean Waves
  • Tales from Earthsea

01/03/20

• Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind
  • Princess Mononoke
  • My Neighbors the Yamadas
  • Spirited Away
  • The Cat Returns
  • Arrietty
  • The Tale of The Princess Kaguya

01/04/20

• Pom Poko
  • Whisper of the Heart
  • Howl’s Moving Castle
  • Ponyo, From Up on Poppy Hill
  • The Wind Rises
  • When Marnie Was There

Grave of the Fireflies is not included as Studio Ghibli do not own the digital distribution rights for it. Nausicaa is included though, although technically it isn't Ghibli.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Watched Andrei Rublev, had been meaning to watch it but after watching Hard to Be a God and lot of people comparing the two, decided to give it a go, really liked it. Also watched Zazie dans le Métro because of wanting to watch something a bit more light hearted, liked it a lot better than I expecting, apparently it's one of RIchard Ayoade's favorite films.

Edited by useless

Really enjoyed The Gentlemen. 

Yeah, it’s not quite Snatch or Lock Stock, but it was sharp, funny and amazingly for a film these days - it came in at under 2hrs! I actually managed to get up and walk out of the cinema without feeling the need for an hour at the chiropractors. 

Hugh Grant, Colin Farrell, Charlie Hunnam and Matthew McConaughey were all really good. 

7.5/10 for the film and an extra point for the runtime.

Watched Good Boys this afternoon. Lots of laugh out loud moments. You can tell Seth Rogan had a hand in it and for me that's a positive. 

As it goes I have watched more films in 2020 than I did in the preceding 5 years combined. The quality of which could be described as questionable. Apropos of nothing, I am planning on watching Cats tonight. 

49 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Watched Good Boys this afternoon. Lots of laugh out loud moments. You can tell Seth Rogan had a hand in it and for me that's a positive. 

As it goes I have watched more films in 2020 than I did in the preceding 5 years combined. The quality of which could be described as questionable. Apropos of nothing, I am planning on watching Cats tonight. 

#PrayforSeat68 

• Like 3

Just watched the latest Jumanji. It’s decent, if you liked the previous you’ll like this. The Rock, shines as usual, Kevin Hart was good, the chemistry between as always is great. Karen Gillan looked amazing. 
It’s good fun.

The cinema experience was annoying though, kids kept on using phones as torches, others kept on talking and then one bloke behind me was snoring :bang:

So I watched Cats. I don't understand why people said it was so shit. Aside from Victorias prominence, Bombalurena only in it for one song, possibly due to TS schedule or she is a **** awful dancer and McCavity being hugely prominent, it was a fairly faithful retelling of the musical. Yeah the CGI was a little shonky but I only noticed because that's what I was subconsciously told to do. Otherwise I thought it was pretty good. 

On 06/01/2020 at 12:05, sne said:

Already posted my Movies of the year list and has not seen this one but my buddy who is a serious Cinemaphile has this one at the top of his movies of the year list so I'm going to check it out.

It's a Danish film originally came out in 2018 called "Den Skyldige" Might be something

The Guilty Poster

Finally got around to watching it yesterday. It's absolutely superb! Amazing how much tension you can wring out of such a simple situation (a guy answering emergency calls basically) when the writing is so good.

It's on Netflix for anyone who fancies giving it a go. I'd highly recommend it :thumb:

• Like 2

I watched Carnival of Souls from 1962, thought it was a really enjoyable movie, agree with those that say it's like a long lost episode of the Twilight Zone, seen a few criticisms of the wooden acting but I think that and the low budget adds all the more to the surreal and dreamlike quality that film is going for.

Finally watched The boy in the striped pyjamas last night  , the last film I watched before it being Son of Saul  , needless to say I think the next film I watch will be a bit more uplifting  maybe Downfall or something  !!!

Could just be my take on it all and I've missed something but I felt the concept of Bruno was somewhat flawed though presumably he's a metaphor for the myth that the Germans weren't aware of the horrors going on around them  and maybe it was me but you were kinda asked to fell sorry for Bruno and his mum and sister  … even the father  .. yet feel no real sympathy for Shmuel  .. or the others in the camp  ... but still an "enjoyable" film

Edited by tonyh29

Bombshell - good performances from the main leads and Lithgow is suitably revolting as Roger Ailes, but they do rather whitewash the fact they're working for f**king Fox News, complicit in abusing people be it women, gays, minority races etc. It's all a single issue focus. Which is maybe fair enough, but they make it seem like Rupert Murdoch is almost a good guy for **** sake

Â