The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

1 hour ago, Ingram85 said:

Can someone confirm for me that a Batteries not included sequel exists? I've been searching for a copy since watching the first recently and it's like there is no trace of it ever actually existing :(

I googled it and got nothing except a handful of other people being equally as confused as I am about its scrubbing out of history.

I know it did exist as me and my brother used to watch the first and second vhs tapes back to back hundreds of times as kids. I've text him and he says that he remembers it too so that's at least 2 people.

Help me VT. You are my only hope. 

You will probably find that there was some twilight zone/amazing stories/saturday matinee/afternoon special etc episode that was similar and they they have been crossed in your head. There was an awful lot of very similar sci-fi stuff around in the 80's.

The first time i watched Jeepers creepers in 2001 i was 100% certain that i had seen it years before and spent hours trying to find out how/why/when etc (this was a bit harder to do nearly 20 years ago) Turns out that the entire opening scene is pretty much recreated from an old unsolved mysteries tv show episode i must have seen a decade earlier on killer Dennis Depue.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Chindie said:

In this case I think people are mixing up a few films that came out around the same time. Batteries Not Included, Cocoon and Short Circuit (and it's sequel) all came out in the space of 3 years and have vaguely similar elements - old people, sci fi, robots, family comic-drama. They're quite different films, but all have similarities and get muddled in people's heads, especially if they children when they watched them.

Add Flight of the Navigator and Innerspace (and The Brave Little Toaster ☺️) to this list and you have probably half of the entirety of film that I watched as a kid. 

As far as Batteries Still Not Included I have no recollection of it. Having searched online and read threads on the topic on yahoo and reddit and such, the people who do remember do so with as much conviction as @Ingram85 which is...concerning to me. There's no results on ebay anywhere in the world, nothing on wiki, or imdb. What's more, the people that do remember, or even say they have the VHS don't appear to have ever taken a photo and put it online.

Imdb says there was an edited version for tv, but that's far from unusual and surely wouldn't warrant a release under a different name at any time..? 

10 minutes ago, pooligan said:

For Your Eyes Only  (1981)

Another of my favourite Bond films  I must have watched it 4 or 5 times and i still enjoy watching it 

One of the online streaming services in Australia has all the Bond movies. I've started going through them. I've ticked off Dr. No & From Russia With Love. Very different from the modern iterations. Very little gimmicky gadgetry for starters! 

Edited by Hornso

48 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

the thing that stood out for me when I revisit the early films is the aggressiveness towards women, im sure he slaps some of them about and is very hands on

That was just Connery adding a bit of himself to the character , the only thing Moore would raise towards a woman would be his eyebrows 

Blinded by the Light  - is great fun. It's about the Pakistani-British lad growing up in Luton feeling transformed by the music of Bruce Springsteen :D. The sense of the period feels spot on,  the peculiarities of the family dynamic are portrayed really well too. A family drama, feel good film with a fairly conventional structure to it, but the performances are all so good, I found myself really moved by the end. The cast, particularly the father, are excellent. 

Hobbs and Shaw  - meanwhile is daft fun. I've never seen any of the Fast and Furious Films, not that you needed to I imagine. I'm sure I must have missed references, but Dwayne Johnson, Jason Statham  Idris Elba and Vanessa Kirby all have fun. Very self-aware of the stupidity of the plot and the dialogue is knowingly ridiculous. The action set-pieces are suitably ludicrous, particularly in the finale. Think it was definitely a bit baggy in places and some of the jokey parts were misses, and a bit draggy but largely it was a fun brainless watch. 

Red Sea Diving Resort on Netflix was an alright watch. 

Based on true events surrounding Mossad agents using a fake hotel in Sudan to evacuate Jewish refugees from Africa. 

Edited by theboyangel

I took my kids and wife to the cinema yesterday, because my 4 year old actually wanted to go, which is very unlike him.

Anyway, it was his choice or either Dora the Explorer, Toy Story 4 (which he's already seen) or Angry Birds 2.

He chose Angry Birds 2.  I was sad it wasn't Toy Story, but relieved it wasn't Dora the Explorer.

I had zero expectation of a film about a mobile phone game.

It was brilliant.  I was actually crying with laughter at a couple of bits.  I can't believe they got Jason Sudeikis, Danny McBride and Bill Hader to do voices.

I want to watch the first one now. :) 

It's silly, but in the right way.   

4 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

I took my kids and wife to the cinema yesterday, because my 4 year old actually wanted to go, which is very unlike him.

Anyway, it was his choice or either Dora the Explorer, Toy Story 4 (which he's already seen) or Angry Birds 2.

He chose Angry Birds 2.  I was sad it wasn't Toy Story, but relieved it wasn't Dora the Explorer.

It was brilliant.  I was actually crying with laughter at a couple of bits.  I can't believe they got Jason Sudeikis, Danny McBride and Bill Hader to do voices.

Watched it last week whilst on holiday in Cornwall.   I wasn't expecting much from it either, but agree with you totally that it was very funny.   A 7 or 8 out of 10 for a kids film.  My two (ages 4 and 7) liked it as well.   We have the first film on DVD and kids have had it on a couple of times, but I don't recall it being memorable.  Only seen bits though, so might be wrong.   

• Like 1

17 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

Were you able to keep up with the plot having not seen the first one?

• Haha 2

42 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

Hereditary - (On Netflix) - Horror apparantley.

4/10 -  There is a good Actress in it actually (Toni Colette).

Basically talking to dead relatives with truly comical outcomes. (Not supposed to be funny).

Must have cost $ 500 k max.

$10m

1 hour ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

Hereditary - (On Netflix) - Horror apparantley.

4/10 -  There is a good Actress in it actually (Toni Colette).

Basically talking to dead relatives with truly comical outcomes. (Not supposed to be funny).

Must have cost $ 500 k max.

Don't bother with The Witch or The Babadook eiither.

17 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

Don't bother with The Witch or The Babadook eiither.

😯 The Witch and particularly The Babadook are great. I don't normally enjoy horror, but they're superb. 

Went bargain film hunting yesterday and picked up the Before, Sunrise, Sunset and Midnight trilogy for £2.50. Such a glorious trio

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Rodders said:

😯 The Witch and particularly The Babadook are great. I don't normally enjoy horror, but they're superb. 

They are both good examples of slow burn horror films where you don't necessarily see "The Monster" as it were.

Its a massively underserved genre to be honest.

I really enjoyed the Ritual as well on Netflix if anyone is looking for something along similar lines.

1 hour ago, Rodders said:

Went bargain film hunting yesterday and picked up the Before, Sunrise, Sunset and Midnight trilogy for £2.50. Such a glorious trio

So good.

If you love your dialogue, they are a must see.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rodders said:

The Witch

I think Robert Eggers will go on to have a fantastic career in moviemaking. The Witch was sublime and The Lighthouse looks like it'll be just as interesting a piece of work.

Genuinely exciting talent.

• Like 1

Â