The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

32 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

@Chindie @Designer1

i’m Interested to hear what you both think when you’ve seen it. 

I’m also slightly concerned about how knowledgable you both seem to be about the Manson Murders. 

Do either of you listen to Huey Lewis And The News? 

source.gif

It might take me a while to see it.

And don't get me started on Phil Collins. Or business cards.

• Haha 1

I watched the Casper movie, as I've always liked the look of it, but never actually got around to seeing it. Most surprising thing was that the dad (Bill Pullman) who I'd seen before in trailers but never made the connection is same guy from the first part of Lost Highway, also Laurie ( Amy Brenneman) from The Leftovers plays his wife. I thought it had some good scary moments, but wasn't really drawn in by the storyline, but maybe a good film to have on in the background if you like the overall feel and look of it.

On 18/08/2019 at 20:44, wazzap24 said:

Once Upon A Time In Hollywood. 

Cracking film, DiCaprio and Pitt are absolutely joyous together. 

Looks great, sounds great and the dialogue is typically Tarantino. 

Not a lot happens to be honest and it’ a long-ass film, but I never felt bored. 

Awesome ending. 

Just back from watching it and completely agree with the above.

Basically Tarantino's love letter to the industry and it's changing landscape. Some cracking scenes with everyone in the cast on top form (so many Tarantino faves crop up) and it's nice to see his foot fetish shows no sign of abating.

Also, without spoilers...that ending 😁 (let's just say it'll be a talking point!)

Edited by Designer1
  • Like 1

So for the past couple of nights I've gone through the M Night Shyamalan 'comic book superhero ' trilogy of Unbreakable, Split and Glass. 

Watched together, it's not a bad piece of work.

Split is the strongest of the three, mainly due to the performance(s) of James McAvoy but Samuel Jackson is in great form in Glass. 

It's a really different take on the superhero genre, which has been saturated by the Marvel franchise in recent years. 

Edited by theboyangel
  • Like 2

Finally saw Toy Story 4 yesterday - thought it was excellent. Have seen some reviews suggesting it wasn’t necessary after how 3 ended and that is how I felt when it was first announced but it didn’t feel contrived at all, felt that they’d written another great story. So much fun being in that world again and the ending... 

Going to see OUATIH later this week, looking forward to it, Will read up on Manson, thanks for the tip.

• Like 1

On 28/06/2019 at 22:24, AVFCDAN said:

Alita Battle Angel

Just finished watching this and not sure what to make of it. Firstly the Visual FX are absolutely outstanding, possibly the best I’ve ever seen. This film is so clean and considering half of what you are watching isn’t even real it’s not jarring at all, an absolute visual spectacle. Films like this make me want the matrix trilogy to be rebooted, what they could do with the 2nd and 3rd films now would be amazing.

Now onto the bad... the story is overly simplified and seems to be taken from the Young adult notebook, token romance leads the story and characters are underdeveloped across the board pretty much. Considering the quality of supporting roles of Christoph Waltz and Mahershala Ali they really aren’t given much to do here. Rosa Salazar is really good though and carries the film at all times, it would have been easy to get lost amongst all the visual effects but she brings some heart to the character that could easily have been lost.

Overall I have to give it at 7/10 but it’s definitely worth a watch, for any of you people with 4K Blu-ray and TVs this may be a demo worthy film.

2 months later a new matrix film is announced. Could be terrible but I can't wait.

OK,  i'll be the first to say it and risk the wrath of VT and cries of "you just don't get it"   ..Once upon a time in Hollywood... Meh

I moaned about Curtis just regurgitating all his material for "Yesterday"  and QT is the master of the same art ...

Lots of music  - check ,

Lots of shots from the knee down   - check ,

Loads of rambling slow dialogue drawn out in ways that nobody ever talks like - check

obscure B movie references  - check

it's not a terrible film ,   and the finale is of course  a stand out moment , unless you are one of those who are on the QT portrayal of women train , then in which case ,look away ...  but it just meanders along in a kinda uninteresting way  as you wait for it to play out

10 films and out was always the aim , maybe he should go out on 9

5/10 WNB

Edited by tonyh29
corrected film title

2 minutes ago, Rodders said:

It is fantastic. 

Superb movie - one of the best I've seen this year :thumb:

He (Koreeda) has made some belters in the past which I've recommended on here. Our Little Sister and I Wish are amongst his best work.

• Thanks 1

Watched Shot Caller and Men in Black International over the weekend.

Shot Caller was not bad, the usual prison/convict stuff done OK. Nothing I haven't seen loads of times before, but still not a bad effort. Both Jamie Lannister and The Punisher in it. 6/10

Men in Black International was exactly what you'd expect. More of the same but slightly worse. Lots of big name actors phoning it in for an easy pay day. 5.5/10. 

2 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

OK,  i'll be the first to say it and risk the wrath of VT and cries of "you just don't get it"   ..Once upon a time in America ... Meh

I moaned about Curtis just regurgitating all his material for "Yesterday"  and QT is the master of the same art ...

Lots of music  - check ,

Lots of shots from the knee down   - check ,

Loads of rambling slow dialogue drawn out in ways that nobody ever talks like - check

obscure B movie references  - check

it's not a terrible film ,   and the finale is of course  a stand out moment , unless you are one of those who are on the QT portrayal of women train , then in which case ,look away ...  but it just meanders along in a kinda uninteresting way  as you wait for it to play out

10 films and out was always the aim , maybe he should go out on 9

5/10 WNB

America or Hollywood?

Read a Swedish review about Once upon a time in Hollywood and Tarantino where he compared him to Oasis.

Basically he thought that just like Oasis he started out with 2 amazing works (Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction) but has since basically just done "Be here now" over and over again :D

He does add the caveat that he wrote the script for True Romance as well.

While I don't necessarily agree with him I do think there is something in it.

A bit too long and a bit too self indulgent.

Not seen Once upon a time in Hollywood yet but I imagine I will enjoy it but not love it.

6 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

Inglorious is probably my favourite Tarantino film, probably then Pulp Fiction and then Django.

Can't wait to see this new one.

I'd go with this from best to worst (although I still enjoyed Death Proof on a certain cinema geek level)

1. Reservoir Dogs
2. Jackie Brown
3. Pulp Fiction
4. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
5. Kill Bill pt1
6. Inglorious Bastards
7. Kill Bill pt2
8. Hateful 8
9. Django Unchained
10. Death Proof

3 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

I'd go with this from best to worst (although I still enjoyed Death Proof on a certain cinema geek level)

1. Reservoir Dogs
2. Jackie Brown
3. Pulp Fiction
4. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
5. Kill Bill pt1
6. Inglorious Bastards
7. Kill Bill pt2
8. Hateful 8
9. Django Unchained
10. Death Proof

It's seeing the full list that makes you appreciate just how overrated QT is  , anything from 3 down is pretty average / below average ... I'd probably put hateful 8 at 4th though

as i said to someone today if you were watching Once upon a time at home , you'd get bored and switch over to another channel  .... 

Dogs  , Jackie and Pulp fiction are the only 3 films  that stand up for repeat viewing the rest wouldn't pass the what's on the other channel test

• Like 2

Nitpicking maybe, but a pet peeve of mine with Tarantino is him regularly using his title cards with “Chapter One : .....”.

Pretentious as ****.  I know he uses a similar thing with Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction and I don’t mind them as much for whatever reason. I do prefer those two films anyway, so perhaps my tolerance is higher. I dare say there are some other directors who use it, but something about QT’s usage of them rubs me up the wrong way.*

Generally more or less everything since Pulp Fiction I’ve seen has been either patchy, indulgent or overlong but admittedly peppered with the odd moment of brilliance.

* For what it’s worth, I think an instance where title cards are used nicely is The Shining - “a month later”, “Tuesday” etc are sort of meaningless reference points but because of that they have an unsettling quality about them.

• Like 1

Â