The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

They're both excellent films.

I think that's what @AVFCDAN is saying tbh.

Basically, if you don't like the more intelligent, slow burner horrors like Hereditary then don't watch The Witch or Babadook.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Basically, if you don't like the more intelligent, slow burner horrors like Hereditary then don't watch The Witch or Babadook.

Oooohhhh, my bad.

I haven't seen Hereditary so didn't get that. I thought he was saying they were both crap too :D 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Designer1 said:

To be fair,  I asked my mrs about what she thought about Hereditary as I really didn't like it,  she found it really quite good, deeply disturbing and unsettling.  So split in our house.

5 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

To be fair,  I asked my mrs about what she thought about Hereditary as I really didn't like it,  she found it really quite good, deeply disturbing and unsettling.  So split in our house.

Yeah she's the one with taste! 😉

(I joke of course, movies are ridiculously subjective)

• Haha 1

A lot of hate for The Red Sea Diving Resort (Netflix) around.

It wasn't fantastic, but it wasn't the worst thing I've ever seen. I'm convinced that Chris Evans is going to fade into relative obscurity now he's done with Captain America, he's just not a good actor.

At the other end of the scale, they really needed to do more with Michael Kenneth Williams. Fantastic actor and really underrated. Makes me want to go and rewatch The Wire.

Edited by desensitized43
wow that was wrong lol
  • Like 1

Netflix seem to have a habit of making very mediocre films, really not impressed with what they have offered up in the last 12 months to be honest. With the coming price rise and the TV shows going downhill a bit as well they are only just about keeping me as a customer to be honest.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

Netflix seem to have a habit of making very mediocre films, really not impressed with what they have offered up in the last 12 months to be honest. With the coming price rise and the TV shows going downhill a bit as well they are only just about keeping me as a customer to be honest.

Yeah, the films are very much more miss than hit imo. There are some gems, but they seem to be making a lot of very average movies. 

What worries me, is how much they use user data/preferences to develop content. As we see with pretty much everything, from politics to naming boats - if you start asking the general public, you’re in real trouble. 

Disagree on the TV shows though, I still think that apart from HBO, Netflix make the best TV content overall. 

1 hour ago, wazzap24 said:

Yeah, the films are very much more miss than hit imo. There are some gems, but they seem to be making a lot of very average movies. 

What worries me, is how much they use user data/preferences to develop content. As we see with pretty much everything, from politics to naming boats - if you start asking the general public, you’re in real trouble. 

Disagree on the TV shows though, I still think that apart from HBO, Netflix make the best TV content overall. 

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611572c5a0939aabfc64a

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, AVFCDAN said:

think this has been talked about before...

they don't make them, they only distribute them, my basic understanding is Netflix have a team doing the circuits on the various film festivals hoovering up as much as they can, probably cheap, I guess anything really good will have a distributer attached to it before its filmed or during filming (I think bright was the first film they were part of the production, might be wrong)

I haven't watched enough of them, beasts of no nation, their crouching tiger film and be my maybe were good, birdbox ok, still haven't watched mowgli, triple frontier, highway men, roma

there are a lot of good documentaries, the square, Virunga, winter on fire, 13th, rolling thunder revue, the remastered series

17 hours ago, desensitized43 said:

A lot of hate for The Red Sea Diving Resort (Netflix) around.

It wasn't fantastic, but it wasn't the worst thing I've ever seen. I'm convinced that Chris Evans is going to fade into relative obscurity now he's done with Captain America, he's just not a good actor.

At the other end of the scale, they really needed to do more with Michael Kenneth Williams. Fantastic actor and really underrated. Makes me want to go and rewatch The Wire.

the hate I have seen is the pro Israeli bias for the film, its not the first film in last few years with similar bias. Entebbe was another one and similar enough storyline

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

I cant shake the idea that it will be a poor mans hotel Rwanda (brilliant film)

That’s exactly what it is. 

Just finished Parasite by Korean super director Joon-ho Bong (The Host, Okja, Snowpiercer, Mother...).

While perhaps not the 10/10 flawless masterpiece it's been made out to be it's still really, really good.

Well worth the watch if you like this particular South Korean quirky type of dark satire.

Parasite Poster

• Like 1

Â