The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

I loved Sandler from Bulletproof all the way through to You don't mess with the Zohan. They were all pretty stupid films but at least there was some heart to them and you could tell everyone was having a good time.

Then I saw Jack and Jill which is so bad you can barely believe it. Then along came his family of Netflix films where you can literally see the pound signs in his eyes, selling out isn't doing them justice.

• Like 2

On 23/06/2019 at 23:28, villa89 said:

Just watched the Maradona film. It's very good and well made. I would recommend it.

Just watched it too. Most of the stuff in the film is common knowledge, it really just follows him from 84-91 when he was at Napoli but some of the archive footage is absolutely wonderful. It seems Maradona had a film crew following him around in Naples the entire time he was there. I’m not sure it’s something you really need to see on the big screen but it’s an excellent film. 

Yeah. They lean on it heavily in the film and it really works. The interviews with the Napoli fitness coach are particularly good. I'll paraphrase here but there's a line about how he said he'd walk to the end of the earth for Diego but for Maradona he'd not take a single step, to which Diego replied that without Maradona, Diego would still be in the slums of Buenos Aires. 

The graffiti on the wall of the cemetery after Napoli won the league in 87 made me laugh out loud too.  

Alita Battle Angel

Just finished watching this and not sure what to make of it. Firstly the Visual FX are absolutely outstanding, possibly the best I’ve ever seen. This film is so clean and considering half of what you are watching isn’t even real it’s not jarring at all, an absolute visual spectacle. Films like this make me want the matrix trilogy to be rebooted, what they could do with the 2nd and 3rd films now would be amazing.

Now onto the bad... the story is overly simplified and seems to be taken from the Young adult notebook, token romance leads the story and characters are underdeveloped across the board pretty much. Considering the quality of supporting roles of Christoph Waltz and Mahershala Ali they really aren’t given much to do here. Rosa Salazar is really good though and carries the film at all times, it would have been easy to get lost amongst all the visual effects but she brings some heart to the character that could easily have been lost.

Overall I have to give it at 7/10 but it’s definitely worth a watch, for any of you people with 4K Blu-ray and TVs this may be a demo worthy film.

Edited by AVFCDAN

saw yesterday , yesterday

Ironic that a film about plagiarism should just be Curtis plagiarising his own film Notting Hill 

replace space cadet amusing Welsh bloke , with space cadet amusing non welsh bloke - check

close group of annoying friends who deserve to be slapped in the face with a  wet haddock - check

have love subjects being separated by fame and the miles - check

boy goes public to admit he's made the wrong decision   - check 

tbf I've only seen Notting Hill once about 20 years when i was trying to get laid   so it might not quite play out like that , but i'm fairly sure it went along those lines

it wasn't terrible , few genuine lol moments  , obviously the music was good and the little twist on the coast  at the end was unexpected , but it wasn't a well acted film and the script was a bit tired and predictable

probably warrants about 4/10 , giving it a plus 1 from what it deserves due to the music

Spider-Man Far From Home was superb and the best thing the Marvel studios could do after End Game.

good set pieces and well humoured throughout.

Tom Holland appears to be a likeable lad and the truest Spider-Man IMO. 

• Like 2

Watched The Mule yesterday on a flight. 

Meh. Not as good as I hoped. 

Ok story but an anticlimactic ending and a wasted opportunity with the cartel edge. 

Eastwood is great though

• Like 2

Saw the trailer for ‘Ad Astra’ with Brad Pitt yesterday. 

Looks pretty decent TBF - apologies if it’s already been posted and I’ve missed it. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, theboyangel said:

Spider-Man Far From Home was superb and the best thing the Marvel studios could do after End Game.

good set pieces and well humoured throughout.

Tom Holland appears to be a likeable lad and the truest Spider-Man IMO. 

Yep saw it earlier and completely agree with your appraisal. A genuinely well put together piece of work.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Watched The Mule yesterday on a flight. 

Meh. Not as good as I hoped. 

Ok story but an anticlimactic ending and a wasted opportunity with the cartel edge. 

Eastwood is great though

It was ok but that awful, awful scene with the girls at the Cartel place just made me cringe. Wish fulfilment load of sexist bollocks.

• Like 1

live action Mulan trailer out, looks like a big departure from the cartoon (no mushu!!) but it looks decent, hopefully they'll nail some wuxia in it

watched spiderman in to the spiderverse, been waiting a while to see it and it didn't disappoint, not a clue how they got that story to work but it really did, absolutely nailed the look and sound of it

Â