The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

On 14/08/2019 at 16:24, desensitized43 said:

A lot of hate for The Red Sea Diving Resort (Netflix) around.

It wasn't fantastic, but it wasn't the worst thing I've ever seen. I'm convinced that Chris Evans is going to fade into relative obscurity now he's done with Captain America, he's just not a good actor.

At the other end of the scale, they really needed to do more with Michael Kenneth Williams. Fantastic actor and really underrated. Makes me want to go and rewatch The Wire.

I thought it was decent to be honest.

• Like 1

On 15/08/2019 at 07:45, villa4europe said:

think this has been talked about before...

they don't make them, they only distribute them, my basic understanding is Netflix have a team doing the circuits on the various film festivals hoovering up as much as they can, probably cheap, I guess anything really good will have a distributer attached to it before its filmed or during filming (I think bright was the first film they were part of the production, might be wrong)

I haven't watched enough of them, beasts of no nation, their crouching tiger film and be my maybe were good, birdbox ok, still haven't watched mowgli, triple frontier, highway men, roma

there are a lot of good documentaries, the square, Virunga, winter on fire, 13th, rolling thunder revue, the remastered series

Yes they make great docs. Some of their films I liked. 

4 hours ago, Newry_Villan said:

Finished watching Destroyer with Nicole Kidman. Not bad at all. I don't recall her doing anything of note for a while so a decent comeback flick.

Loved Destroyer. Completely bleak viewing but a great storyline and well acted, particularly by a stripped down and burnt out kidman. 

would watch again. 

• Like 1

Hobbs and shaw

I'm not a fan of the fast and furious series, there are maybe 2 or 3 of them I haven't bothered to watch, the kevved up car racing stuff doesn't interest me in the slightest, with that in mind the direction the series has gone in later on is better, this film is probably the best one they've done to date, it's daft, brain at the door fun with a cast and set of characters that are tighter and frankly better

Not going to win any awards and a fair few will turn their noses up at it but it is what it is and as blockbusters go it's a good one 

8 hours ago, Newry_Villan said:

Finished watching Destroyer with Nicole Kidman. Not bad at all. I don't recall her doing anything of note for a while so a decent comeback flick.

She's done plenty of good work the last few years. I think she improves with age and is really on top of her game at the moment.

Once Upon A Time In Hollywood. 

Cracking film, DiCaprio and Pitt are absolutely joyous together. 

Looks great, sounds great and the dialogue is typically Tarantino. 

Not a lot happens to be honest and it’ a long-ass film, but I never felt bored. 

Awesome ending. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

Once Upon A Time In Hollywood. 

Cracking film, DiCaprio and Pitt are absolutely joyous together. 

Looks great, sounds great and the dialogue is typically Tarantino. 

Not a lot happens to be honest and it’ a long-ass film, but I never felt bored. 

Awesome ending. 

Going to see it tomorrow.

As a self confessed Tarantino fanboy I'm really excited to see this.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Designer1 said:

Going to see it tomorrow.

As a self confessed Tarantino fanboy I'm really excited to see this.

If you don’t know any of the details around the Manson Family murders, have a bit of a read up on it before you go (if you get chance) 

I didn’t and still really enjoyed it, but if I’d known a bit more it would have been even better! I got what he (Tarantino) was doing with the story and I had a basic knowledge of Manson, but it’s definitely worth reading up on. 

17 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

If you don’t know any of the details around the Manson Family murders, have a bit of a read up on it before you go (if you get chance) 

I didn’t and still really enjoyed it, but if I’d known a bit more it would have been even better! I got what he (Tarantino) was doing with the story and I had a basic knowledge of Manson, but it’s definitely worth reading up on. 

Yeah I'm pretty clued up when it comes to Manson but cheers anyway.

• Like 1

I really want to see it but from what I've seen Once Upon a Time in Hollywood hasn't reviewed that well (not that that's the be all and end all of course, just an observation)

53 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I really want to see it but from what I've seen Once Upon a Time in Hollywood hasn't reviewed that well (not that that's the be all and end all of course, just an observation)

Interesting.

Don't think I've read too many overly critical reviews tbh and it stands at 85% on RT. Like you say though, not the be all and end all and I'd prefer to judge for myself.

I'm hyped as **** personally 😀

Edited by Designer1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

It’s absolutely fundamental that you have at least a  basic knowledge of the Manson Family murders, if you know nothing about it, it will definitely effect how you see the film. 

It’s brilliant. 

Edited by wazzap24

11 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Interesting.

Don't think I've read too many overly critical reviews tbh and it stands at 85% on RT. Like you say though, not the be all and end all and I'd prefer to judge for myself.

I'm hyped as **** personally 😀

Oh 100%

I never let reviews of films sway my judgement. I might use them to judge which film I see and don't see (like if something gets utterly panned I won't bother going to see it)

Just found it interesting

I'll definitely be seeing it and I'll definitely be forming my own opinion

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

It’s absolutely fundamental that you have at least a  basic knowledge of the Manson Family murders, if you know nothing about it, it will definitely effect how you see the film. 

It’s brilliant. 

Is it a film ABOUT the Manson Family murders or is that just a background to a wider story?

I'd understood that that it was going to feature the Manson story but was actually going to be more about how that moment in time formed the end of the Hollywood golden era and Manson put a full stop on it. So I'm interested to hear that knowledge of the Manson Family is needed.

11 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Is it a film ABOUT the Manson Family murders or is that just a background to a wider story?

I'd understood that that it was going to feature the Manson story but was actually going to be more about how that moment in time formed the end of the Hollywood golden era and Manson put a full stop on it. So I'm interested to hear that knowledge of the Manson Family is needed.

It’s hard to say too much without giving it away. It’s kind of both (about and background)

You need to know about the first murders. 

Edit: 

You can go and watch it without knowing anything and it would still be enjoyable (imo),  but with a bit of knowledge it makes a lot more sense and you’ll appreciate the cleverness of it all. 

Edited by wazzap24

9 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

It’s hard to say too much without giving it away. It’s kind of both (about and background)

You need to know about the first murders. 

Edit: 

You can go and watch it without knowing anything and it would still be enjoyable (imo),  but with a bit of knowledge it makes a lot more sense and you’ll appreciate the cleverness of it all. 

Oh there's no problem with knowing about Manson, I know more than most people would about that whole case :)

Good to know regardless, thanks.

• Like 1

Â