The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

26 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

It's seeing the full list that makes you appreciate just how overrated QT is  ,

Most of his films are over directed & self indulgent with long sections of pointless, boring dialogue that adds nothing to the film. He's a film nerd not a great film maker. 

• Like 1

This one has been on my radar for a while, and as it's directed by Jennifer Kent (The Babadook), it's safe to say I'm  looking forward to it - it's had a fair bit of buzz and controversy surrounding it due to it's storyline and content.

spacer.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Designer1 said:

I'd go with this from best to worst 

1. Reservoir Dogs
2. Jackie Brown
3. Pulp Fiction

1. Pulp Fiction
2. True Romance*
3. Inglorious Bastards
4. Reservoir Dogs
5. Kill Bill pt1
6. Django Unchained
7. Kill Bill pt2
8. Jackie Brown
9. Hateful 8
10. Death Proof

Not Seen - Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

* yes, i know.

1 hour ago, Designer1 said:

This one has been on my radar for a while, and as it's directed by Jennifer Kent (The Babadook), it's safe to say I'm  looking forward to it - it's had a fair bit of buzz and controversy surrounding it due to it's storyline and content.

spacer.png

That the one set down under, a revenge/vengeance type story?

A bit like The Revenant, but not really :D 

Saw a trailer that had a "Southern Comfort" type scene in it with soldiers running through a swamp or something like that..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

It's seeing the full list that makes you appreciate just how overrated QT is  , anything from 3 down is pretty average / below average ... I'd probably put hateful 8 at 4th though

as i said to someone today if you were watching Once upon a time at home , you'd get bored and switch over to another channel  .... 

Dogs  , Jackie and Pulp fiction are the only 3 films  that stand up for repeat viewing the rest wouldn't pass the what's on the other channel test

I think he's strangely not got that much re-watchability, I know there's layers upon layers of references and blah blah but I cant get in to it, I think kill bill 1 and JB are the only 2 films of his I've watched more than 3 times, films like IB and H8 I enjoyed when I watched them but I've got no real desire to watch it again, I think for me every one of his films include really good cool moments that stand out as iconic but then as a collective the film is usually a bit bloated (which is why I like KB1) and up its own ass (er...not sure why I like KB1), im not even that fussed by RD and PF, they're not overrated they just don't float my boat for the entire 2 and a half hours

I could watch kill bill 1 all day

Dogs, Pulp and Brown are definitely his best work IMO. Do like a lot about Basterds as well. 

I guess what was seen as fresh and innovative in the 90's is seen as tired and overdone now.

• Like 1

Not seen once upon a time  yet but If anyone cares this is how I’d rank his films personally 

Reservoir dogs 10/10

Django unchained 9.5/10

Pulp fiction 9 /10

Kill Bill Vol 1 9/10

Jackie Brown 8/10

The hateful 8 8/10

Inglorious Bastards 8/10

Kill Bill Vol. 2 7/10

Deathproof 6/10

I love most of his movies tbh kinda a self confessed fanboy 

Edited by Bizzzle
  • Like 2

Having recently finished Mindhunter and rewatched Chernobyl I felt compelled to rewatch Citizen X.

It's pretty much a mix between the two.

The hunt for a serial killer in the early 80's in  Soviet Russia with all the red tape and bureaucracy that means. 

Some really good actors as well. 

It's from 95 so a modern film might have been done a bit different but it's still a really good movie.

Based on a true story as well. 

As a bonus it also, just like Chernobyl has a Swede playing a major part (Max Von Sydow)

Citizen X (1995)

Edited by sne
  • Like 1

Tarantino's great. He's incredibly indulgent but that's just part of what his films are.

Having said that, I was a little underwhelmed by Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. In many ways it's a great film, but more one to soak in and enjoy rather than be gripped by. Has the feel of a classic in places but it won't be remembered as one, and not up there with his best. Wonderful though as a homage (with perhaps some questionable bits) to Hollywood and film in that era.The end was typical Tarantino so I loved it - I imagine others might react differently!

Every summer I see one movie in the theater, so last night I saw the new Tarrantino flick. Idiotic. I walked out right before the big Manson crescendo. When the best scene in the film is the one with the dog, it's problematic, especially when you fork out $10 to watch it. Pointless scene after pointless scene. Pure wankfest.

Â