The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Does anyone know what the deal is with The Joker after this film? Will it be a continuation of his story with other films? Or is it just a one off showing some origins of how he became the person he is. 

I really like the style and atmosphere to it. But it's never going to work in a Superhero Universe if they try and carry the story on imo. 

Edited by PieFacE

57 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Does anyone know what the deal is with The Joker after this film? Will it be a continuation of his story with other films? Or is it just a one off showing some origins of how he became the person he is. 

I really like the style and atmosphere to it. But it's never going to work in a Superhero Universe if they try and carry the story on imo. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joker_(2019_film)

it is intended to launch DC Black, a series of DC-based films separate from the DC Extended Universe (DCEU).

Development of a standalone Joker film began in 2016 and was confirmed in August 2017, after Warner Bros. and DC Films decided to deemphasize the shared nature of the DCEU.

1 hour ago, PieFacE said:

It's a completely separate take on the characters origin. It's partly inspired by an actual comic, the Killing Joke, but pretty much only in its premise. It's not going to form a universe (or at least not intended to) and it's unrelated to the other DC stuff Warner Bros has done. It isn't intended to be given a sequel either.

The idea of doing standalone DC movies that aren't ostensibly connected to anything is a bit like the Elseworlds comics they used to do, where they would take a character and do something unusual with them, stuff like Superman: Red Son, which basically had the premise of 'what if Superman was raised in the USSR?'. This film is basically 'let's do a character study of how someone could become the Joker'.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Designer1 said:

Eh... I dunno with this.

The Terminator series ends well with 2. After that, with Cameron not really caring and Schwarzenegger aging the films become increasingly hokey (Genisys, ugh, being legitimately one of the worst films I've seen in a cinema I think) and this doesn't really escape that. Tim Miller is a good director and getting Hamilton back is a good move, but... We've kinda done Terminator, and Cameron's shadow is so heavily over it all that it pales in comparison. I've no doubt, with Miller's ability, that this will have some good action, but Cameron's best stuff has great action and weight, and even his flabby ponderous style doesn't harm it. There's none of that weight here, none of that feeling that you're watching a juggernaut helmed by a master. It's just a sci fi action film in Terminator cosplay.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Chindie said:

It's a completely separate take on the characters origin. It's partly inspired by an actual comic, the Killing Joke, but pretty much only in its premise. It's not going to form a universe (or at least not intended to) and it's unrelated to the other DC stuff Warner Bros has done. It isn't intended to be given a sequel either.

The idea of doing standalone DC movies that aren't ostensibly connected to anything is a bit like the Elseworlds comics they used to do, where they would take a character and do something unusual with them, stuff like Superman: Red Son, which basically had the premise of 'what if Superman was raised in the USSR?'. This film is basically 'let's do a character study of how someone could become the Joker'.

I’d love them to delve into the Elseworlds stuff. They were some of my favourite Batman one-shot/mini-series. 

Gotham By Gaslight (and the sequel, Master Of The Future) 

Leatherwing 

Red Rain/Bloodstorm/Crimson Mist 

Scar Of The Bat 

All really good stories that could be made into films. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

I’d love them to delve into the Elseworlds stuff. They were some of my favourite Batman one-shot/mini-series. 

Gotham By Gaslight (and the sequel, Master Of The Future) 

Leatherwing 

Red Rain/Bloodstorm/Crimson Mist 

Scar Of The Bat 

All really good stories that could be made into films. 

Gotham by Gaslight would be pretty good in fairness. They'd never do it of course, but Victorian Batman galavanting around London, good stuff...

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Chindie said:

Eh... I dunno with this.

The Terminator series ends well with 2. After that, with Cameron not really caring and Schwarzenegger aging the films become increasingly hokey (Genisys, ugh, being legitimately one of the worst films I've seen in a cinema I think) and this doesn't really escape that. Tim Miller is a good director and getting Hamilton back is a good move, but... We've kinda done Terminator, and Cameron's shadow is so heavily over it all that it pales in comparison. I've no doubt, with Miller's ability, that this will have some good action, but Cameron's best stuff has great action and weight, and even his flabby ponderous style doesn't harm it. There's none of that weight here, none of that feeling that you're watching a juggernaut helmed by a master. It's just a sci fi action film in Terminator cosplay.

The bale one was the right idea executed poorly (I liked it too, the trailer giving the story away was **** stupid) 

Rather than playing with time travel still and rewriting it all and pissing over the original films legacy just move it forward, give us a world in the future where the machines have won and the show the resistance, far more to play with 

OUATIH - feeligns very much undecided. There was entertainment and one big laugh towards the very end, otherwise it was just very meh. Didn't dislike it, Pitt and di Caprio are great and have fun, but so much ploddy baggage. Take a 3rd off most of the scenes and it'd at least seem more fluid.

Gotham by Gaslight was almost a game.

And they made an animation

Another Elseworlds book I think would make a good movie is JSA: The Golden Age

Image result for jsa the golden age

Some of the greatest heroes of the 1940s, including the original Green Lantern, Atom, Hawkman, Starman and others return in this spectacular Elseworlds tale. The story follows their postwar adventures as they battle evil in a world they fear may no longer need them. And as their importance wanes, a new hero, Dynaman, rallies the nation behind his fascist agenda.

• Like 1

Saw once upon a time..... yesterday and really enjoyed it (although half the time I was scanning the screen for all the cameos!)

it was long and drawn out in places but it was a typical Tarantino dialogue fuelled movie, ably fronted by both Pitt and DiCaprio who were both great to watch. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Rodders said:

OUATIH - feeligns very much undecided. There was entertainment and one big laugh towards the very end, otherwise it was just very meh. Didn't dislike it, Pitt and di Caprio are great and have fun, but so much ploddy baggage. Take a 3rd off most of the scenes and it'd at least seem more fluid.

the acting was good but the plot was very meh and i am being generous

I watched a good film a few months back, 'The Exterminating Angel' by a director called by Luis Buñuel. 

' A group of high-society friends are invited to a mansion for dinner and find themselves inexplicably unable to leave, in Luis Buñuel’s daring masterpiece The Exterminating Angel (El ángel exterminador). Made just one year after the director’s inter­na­tional sensation Viridiana, this film, full of eerie comic absurdity, continues Buñuel’s wicked takedown of the rituals and dependencies of the frivolous upper classes.'

giphy.gif

This tonight.

I have a slightly irrational love of this film. I know it's got a load of hokey stuff in it (the accents, the very arch acting from a lot of the cast, it's incredibly 80s inflected lovelorn Goth tone, the divergence from the book...) but it's just... Well it's Gary Oldman having a whale of a time supported by Anthony Hopkins chewing the scenery for all is worth, and it's made with fantastic art design and mood. I still think the weird werewolf/bat-man version of Dracula in this is one of the most curiously haunting and brilliant designs for Dracula in anything.

And of course it's got 90s Winona Ryder, mmm. And Sadie Frost. 

It's **** brilliant. Even with all its flaws, it's great.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Chindie said:

giphy.gif

This tonight.

I have a slightly irrational love of this film. I know it's got a load of hokey stuff in it (the accents, the very arch acting from a lot of the cast, it's incredibly 80s inflected lovelorn Goth tone, the divergence from the book...) but it's just... Well it's Gary Oldman having a whale of a time supported by Anthony Hopkins chewing the scenery for all is worth, and it's made with fantastic art design and mood. I still think the weird werewolf/bat-man version of Dracula in this is one of the most curiously haunting and brilliant designs for Dracula in anything.

And of course it's got 90s Winona Ryder, mmm. And Sadie Frost. 

It's **** brilliant. Even with all its flaws, it's great.

100% in agreement. Love the beginning sequence.  The soundtrack is excellent as well. I also have a irrational fondness for Richard E Grant. Keanu is woeful but I just love it.

Â