The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

22 hours ago, mjmooney said:

The  BAFTAs seem to be leaning very heavily toward political correctness with the number of black and/or female winners. 

Not sure, the headline is Coleman because let's face it she's a darling and probably the biggest / best British hope for an Oscar so get the hype train running

I haven't seen all the films but watched green book and BR last weekend and both actor nods were definitely good enough to win, Roma as best film is no surprise, I think there is a genuine lack of surprises if I'm honest, slight leaning towards British film the favourite, maybe blackkklansman for adapted screenplay

I think Oscar odds will be incredibly short this year, documentary and animated in particular are put your left kidney on it, documentary maybe surprising seeing as the last year (I think) had I am not your negro and the Netflix prison one up for it (both incredible) will definitely go to a film  about rock climbing 

Edited by villa4europe

13 hours ago, Xela said:

I hope it is based purely on ability but you can't help think after the 'scandals of recent years (lack of diversity etc) that award ceremonies going forward will be box ticking exercises. Same with the nominations. 

I thought the Favourite and Black Klansmann were two outstanding films with great performances throughout, as was Green Book, so none of those nominations weren't deserved and would be worthy winners for performances. If the push for diversity is creating space for more films like this then go for it.

I don't see a winner that is undeserved really. 

That said awards are generally quite silly anyway, the voters can only ever see a selection of the films in contention and are always subject to intense lobbying by the distributors etc anyway. So I think both cynicism at the nature of the awards and acknowledging the merited wins aren't mutually exclusive positions to hold

Watched The Wee man last night.

v1.bTsxMTE5Nzk5NjtqOzE4MDM5OzEyMDA7MTUzN

What a great film!

Based in Glasgow during the Arthur Thompson years, A young lad (The wee man) grows up to become part of the ring of crime led by one of Scotland's notorious criminals.

Not sure if also on Netflix but have seen someone on youtube has the entire film on there.

images.jpeg.ee36788b38ae9ea1a1783d5bce52dbf3.jpeg

Excellent character driven contemporary western from the director of A Prophet, Rust and Bone and Dheepan. 

A slow paced but involving story with a brilliant cast. All four main actors (Jake Gyllenhaal, John C Reilly, Joaquin Phoenix and Riz Ahmed) are at the top of their game.

Recommended.:thumb:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Â