The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

3 minutes ago, pooligan said:

In The Loop (2009)

Certainly not a film i will remember and doubt i would ever watch it again 

Been a while since I watched it.

Got rave reviews at the time but I remember thinking it was a weaker version of the truly great tv series.

Having some actors from “The thick of it” playing their characters from that show, but others playing similar but different ones was a bit jarring.

• Like 1

On 06/02/2019 at 19:55, tonyh29 said:

Glass last night

what a stinking pile of poo that was  , the implication is there could be further films in the series... let’s hope that isn’t the case 

I didn't think it was quite as bad as that, but it was pretty disappointing, especially considering the first two films in the trilogy were pretty good.

That's what you get with Shyamalan, he's capable of making great films, but often makes shite ones. 

On 06/02/2019 at 19:55, tonyh29 said:

Glass last night

what a stinking pile of poo that was  , the implication is there could be further films in the series... let’s hope that isn’t the case 

Just saw it today. It was okay. Not brilliant but ok

Spoiler

The part about them knowing they are super heroes all along and t try persuade them/make them doubt they were not so they can keep the balance what a stupid explanation that was. 

I have to say the actor who plays Kevin is **** awesome. He should get a Oscar for that performance. 

• Like 1

'Green Book' - left the cinema with the missus, and we agreed that it was funny and heart-warming but definitely lacked any sort of edge. Then got in the car, Kermode was on Five Live and reading out some email from a guy saying something similar, about how disorienting it is watching it as a black person, given its fairly panglossian view of US race relations. They don't really face any problems in the film, and the only really difficult moment is solved by a phone call to Bobby Kennedy, of all things. The performances are good though.

There's quite a heartfelt scene where Ali's character talks about how he wants to be a serious musician, not just an 'entertainer' with a glass of whisky on the side of the piano. The bitter irony is that that's kind of what 'Green Book' actually is. 

• Like 1

The Bruce Willis version of Death Wish

Ok for the type of film it is. Some gruesome death scenes. Not surprising considering Eli Roth directed it. 

23 minutes ago, Xela said:

The Bruce Willis version of Death Wish

Ok for the type of film it is. Some gruesome death scenes. Not surprising considering Eli Roth directed it. 

Utter utter shit.

I mean the original was a pulpy mess with dubious moralistic views but **** me at least Bronson had the good grace to stay awake while Winner was filming him! Willis is a disgrace to the acting profession these days.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Finally got a chance to watch xmen apocalypse. Omg what a absolute pile of shit that was. 

Marvel have to face it these films are a complete failure without wolverine. 

Spoiler

I thought apocalypse was invincible yet gets defeated by Jean grey phoenix??? Wtf

Edited by Demitri_C

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Finally got a chance to watch xmen apocalypse. Omg what a absolute pile of shit that was. 

Reveal hidden contents

I thought apocalypse was invincible yet gets defeated by Jean grey phoenix??? Wtf

Dem you duplicate scamp, I’ve been flicking in and out of this thread several times thinking I’m in the marvel film thread by mistake.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

'Green Book' - left the cinema with the missus, and we agreed that it was funny and heart-warming but definitely lacked any sort of edge. Then got in the car, Kermode was on Five Live and reading out some email from a guy saying something similar, about how disorienting it is watching it as a black person, given its fairly panglossian view of US race relations. They don't really face any problems in the film, and the only really difficult moment is solved by a phone call to Bobby Kennedy, of all things. The performances are good though.

There's quite a heartfelt scene where Ali's character talks about how he wants to be a serious musician, not just an 'entertainer' with a glass of whisky on the side of the piano. The bitter irony is that that's kind of what 'Green Book' actually is. 

Wait what...

Spoiler

The scenes where he is due to play in Birmingham as the star of the show but he isn't allowed to eat in the restaurant doesn't show what problems they faced? Or the scene where he couldn't use the toilet inside the posh people's house? Or the fact that the film is called the green book because that was the name of the book of the shit hole hotels black people were allowed to stay in?

7 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Dem you duplicate scamp, I’ve been flicking in and out of this thread several times thinking I’m in the marvel film thread by mistake.

Sorry I posted that then remembered after there was a marvel thread

25 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Wait what...

Reveal hidden contents

The scenes where he is due to play in Birmingham as the star of the show but he isn't allowed to eat in the restaurant doesn't show what problems they faced? Or the scene where he couldn't use the toilet inside the posh people's house? Or the fact that the film is called the green book because that was the name of the book of the shit hole hotels black people were allowed to stay in?

Spoiler

Yes, these all show basic features of life under segregation, but to take them in turn, he chooses to stoically accept needing to return to his motel for the bathroom rather than making a scene, the 'Green Book' of the title is mentioned a couple of times, and the inconvenience caused by racial segregation in hotel accommodation occupies no more than five minutes of screen time, and the refusal to seat him for dinner leads to a moment of self-actualisation and then a joyous evening at a much more enjoyable establishment down the road. 

None of these things are good, and none should have happened. But the point is that the film doesn't contain enough conflict to really show how awful life under Jim Crow was. It needs more thorns. 

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Reveal hidden contents

Not a Marvel film. X-Men films to date are Fox.

I really loved Green Book but it is on the feel good side of things rather than a deep analysis of race relations. I remember listening to that email read out and it did make me think about the perspective of it all, but I suppose the story here is Tony's rather than Shirleys. Maybe it should have been the latter, but it was written by Tony's son ( and is pretty much 90% fiction from what I gather ). I'd happily watch another film with a sharper edge from the other side, but despite all the acknowledged criticisms, Ali and Viggo were both so good in the leads I had too much of a good time to think about that at the time.

Â