The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

a baddie with a hollowed out volcano lair, a piranha pool, ninja's dropping poison down from the rafters, some kendo, the best use of a bond theme tune by John Barry during a bond film, the blofeld performance, little nellie

bond peaks with you only live twice

• Like 3

On 20/02/2019 at 19:05, villa4europe said:

throwing it out there...apart from the 2 tarantino films has he done anything good?

horrible bosses 2 was ok (but not a patch on 1) so was big eyes but his CV is nothing special

late to this but I have never been a fan, doesnt really seem to have much range. Granted English is not his first language but still seems a poor actor. He was the worst thing in the last Bond film and that says a lot

5 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Not seen the film, so I can’t comment, but just on the off chance it wasn’t posted in here before, over 50 cuts in 1 minute and 22 seconds.

That made me feel dizzy.  😂

5 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Not seen the film, so I can’t comment, but just on the off chance it wasn’t posted in here before, over 50 cuts in 1 minute and 22 seconds.

I didn't notice that first time around, but now that I'm looking for it, it's actually very jarring to watch.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, sne said:

Lords of Chaos was as expected. On it's own it's not a bad movie, but it strays a bit from the truth of what really happened (just like the book) and there is some strange choices made from Åkerlund. Like for example making Varg Vikernes chubby.

Even with some grim scenes it's no where as dark as the true events were and it feels a bit like any other "starting a band/rise to fame" movie, which is a bit off considering.

Still, if you are into black metal and interested in this story (it's a fascinating one) you might like it, or hate it :D 

I'm not sure, it's very uneven 6/10?

Lords of Chaos Poster

I'm not much of a Black Metal fan, but the story of Mayhem and Dead's suicide (and it's subsequent effect on the people close to him and literally an entire genre of music) really is fascinatingly grim. And frost bitten. 

• Like 2

Quite enjoyed Bad Times at the El Royale. 

good cast, interesting concept regardless being in a similar vein to a Tarantino plot, in that 5 strangers converge on an old motel each with their own history. 

It's worth watching. 

Edited by theboyangel

7 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Think 'Green Book' winning over 'The Favourite' is going to be seen later as one of the all-time travesties TBFH. Certainly it should be. 

I was more surprised that it beat Roma tbh.

• Like 1

i turned the favourite off because it really wasnt my thing, the green book on the other hand i loved* same as a few years back i thought moonlight and la la land were both boring as **** and if you asked the question what the worst best picture winner was a lot would point to crash but i really liked that film, too much of it is about timing and whether its gained the hype (or if its blatantly an oscar baiting film)

* i watched green book before some of this written by a white man about a white man stuff came out, i've seen a fair few people since moaning that ali is the supporting actor rather than the lead, probably have a point even if im not completely buying in to what spike lee is selling

Alita Battle Angel.

Another one of those movies made possible by the development in graphics and what not.

Just like Mortal Engines and Ready Player One it looks pretty good, but probably doesn't do the source material justice. (Not read any of them)

Out of the 3 I probably rate Ready Player One highest, not by any big margin thou.

For Alita I was just waiting for the bigger arch to develop, but it didn't happen so the film just ended and that was it.

The whole film was pretty much a set up for a sequel, but no idea if one is coming. On it's own this one was pretty but forgettable.

6/10 Sunday hangover movie.

On ‎25‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 12:07, Shropshire Lad said:

As I'm at work I can't see which scene this is. So which scene is it? :) 

@Pelle here's a question for you mate regarding the Fred flick.

It's not bad movie (a bit too fluffy for a bio for me but that's another discussion) but...did you think that Malek actually sounded (as in when speaking) like Freddie? I've watched a fair few interviews with FM and I thought Malek was way off. In fact he sounded more like George from Rainbow which was a little off putting 😁 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

@Pelle here's a question for you mate regarding the Fred flick.

It's not bad movie (a bit too fluffy for a bio for me but that's another discussion) but...did you think that Malek actually sounded (as in when speaking) like Freddie? I've watched a fair few interviews with FM and I thought Malek was way off. In fact he sounded more like George from Rainbow which was a little off putting 😁 

Nah, no, he didn't sound like him. His voice was a bit too raspy, if that's a word. He didn't look very much like him either, of course. But he gave a good impression of being Freddie, I think. Gilym Lee and Joe Mazzello were the ones who most looked like the one they were playing. Gwilym more or less was Brian, both in looks and how he sounded and how he acted.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pelle said:

As I'm at work I can't see which scene this is. So which scene is it? :) 

They’re sat outside on a patio of a bar/pub/restaurant, a record company man (I assume) turns up and says “so you’re queen, and YOU must be Freddie Mercury”.

Roger looks at Brian, Brian looks to John, John looks at Freddie, Freddie looks back at the record company man....that sort of thing.

Edited by Shropshire Lad

1 hour ago, Shropshire Lad said:

They’re sat outside on a patio of a bar/pub/restaurant, a record company man (I assume) turns up and says “so you’re queen, and YOU must be Freddie Mercury”.

Roger looks at Brian, Brian looks to John, John looks at Freddie, Freddie looks back at the record company man....that sort of thing.

Huh, ok. Thought it was the PC where the journalists have a go at Freddie all the time. Never saw anything special in that scene that bothered me, but maybe I'll get the BOF syndrome now it's mentioned. It's their manager John Reid, btw. :) 

Â