The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

@Demitri_C

X-Men film series thoughts

X-Men - decent enough 2000s early comic book movie. 

X-Men 2 - genuinely good early comic book movie

X-Men 3 - dreadful. Wastes 2 good storylines, does various missteps (killing Cyclops off screen?!), plot holes... Awful.

X-Men Origins Wolverine - terrible. Rubbish plot, horrific CGI (the bathroom claws, shudder), completely **** up Deadpool. Bad.

X-Men First Class - half a good movie. The Magneto origin stuff, pretty good. The First Class stuff, bad. The scene with Banshee flying is one of the worst scenes in anything ever.

The Wolverine - a nice modern take on the Ronin Wolverine storyline.  Loses its way at the end (Silver Samurai thing is just.. ugh) but a lot of good stuff there. On the downside it's got one of the most blatant examples of 'repower the hero to make it interesting' ever, which is always a bit crap.

X-Men Days of Future Past - probably the best 'true' X-Men film. Nicely melds the First Class and original casts, interprets the DOFP plot well enough, fairly good all round.

Deadpool - revitalises the franchise, by taking the piss out of it (and the genre). Nice nods to the wider franchise, genuinely funny, excellent action, good take on Colossus, looks good. Biggest flaw is it's an origin story so has a ropey plot overall, and the nature of the character is such that they have to throw jokes at everything, meaning a ton of misses and can be irritating.

X-Men Apocalypse - crap. Bad, bad, bad take on Apocalypse, the First Class cast can't carry a film on their own, finale is shit. Feels rushed, done on the cheap, no joy to any of it. Crap.

Logan - barely a comic book movie, but it's genuinely excellent. Nice take on the Old Man Logan version of Wolverine, really cool ideas with an dementia ridden Xavier, good take on Caliban, simple but fun Western esque plot. Biggest flaw is the introduction of X-24, which I get the idea of but it feels really cop-out y and a bit too on the nose.

Deadpool 2 - take Deadpool and pump up the budget. It's pretty good. Not as good as the first, but still fun. The best version of Juggernaut we're ever likely to get, Brolin is fun as Cable (if nothing like him in reality, which the film actually mocks, to it's credit), it's a little less good on the action front and isn't as funny, but the 'X-Force' scene might make up for it all. Also manages to make Domino a good character, mostly because they absolutely nail showing her 'power'. Also has a great Rob Liefeld (creator of Deadpool and hack) joke.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I know it’s generally considered poor but the third X men film is the one I’ve probably seen the most. It seems like it’s often being shown when I turn on the telly. To be more precise it’s always just in time for the Jean Grey/Professor X living room-kitchen scene, Ian McKellen saying “Charles!!”.

That bit is alright, probably not so much rest although I do like seeing Frasier as that big blue bear thing.

X Men and X Men 2 were two of the films that started my "comic book films are largely rubbish" mindset. They were both awful.

Deadpool is good though and I haven't seen Logan but I'd like to given it looks good and reviews were positive.

35 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

X Men and X Men 2 were two of the films that started my "comic book films are largely rubbish" mindset. They were both awful.

Deadpool is good though and I haven't seen Logan but I'd like to given it looks good and reviews were positive.

X-Men hasn't aged that well and has some horrific dialogue (that line from Storm is infamous) and some crappy bits but I wouldn't say it's bad August all really. 

X2 is genuinely good, I really can't recall much I'd say was bad let alone awful.

If there is something about the X-Men films that wears thin, it's the racism/homophobia allegory was done to death by the films. It's always been a fundamental thing to the series, but not every X-Men storyline is about driven by that theme and the series really fan it into the ground.

Deadpool I like less than most people, but almost entirely because I don't like the character that much. He's been heavily overexposed by Marvel in every medium that they could, even prior to the films, and the constant gags and fourth wall breaking wears really thin. It works in the films better I think, probably because the references and style fit film more naturally, and also because the nature of film is its far more more 'limited' (there's what, 4 hours of Deadpool on film, tops? On the page there's literally years worth).

You should watch Logan. It's basically a Western with comic trappings. It's genuinely a very good movie, and you'll be happy to hear that its most comic-y stuff is pretty limited and the worst thing about it. Otherwise it's just a really good, contained movie.

340585310_download(1).jpeg.4526cd50260c71e6261e4f566d0c49e3.jpeg

An Evening with Beverly Luff Linn.

Superbly grotesque romantic comedy from the Greasy Strangler people.

If you enjoyed the unique humour of GS then you'll be right at home with this.

I laughed like a drain throughout. Wonderful stuff.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, sne said:

Really have zero enthusiasm for them telling the Dark Phoenix story-line again.

Also Famke Janssen was way hotter :D 

You might be in luck. There's a small (very small) chance it might never see the light of day. By all accounts it's absolutely awful, had the X-Men brand suddenly ripped off it, and then it's release date pushed back (I'm not even sure if it has a release date now?). The Disney acquisition has made the release of the 2 films Fox was making a bit dodgy, and especially so when neither is meant to be much cop and Disney will be very keen to establish their own X-Men. Starting on the back of 2 bad films might not be good. But it would be a bold move to just bin them.

Also, mmm... Famke Janssen.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

The  BAFTAs seem to be leaning very heavily toward political correctness with the number of black and/or female winners. 

Or it just so happens this year it was felt a lot of women and non-white nominees were the best. Certainly I can't see much that looks too out of the ordinary from what I've heard of the nominees. Only Black Panther winning effects looks a bit dodgy, because Infinity War was far better. And maybe Malek, but that was a weak field I think.

7 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Heavy Lovecraft influence too, which is always a plus.

Definitely.

Speaking of which, be interesting to see what they make of this one:

Bildresultat för Lovecraft Country

8 part TV series coming this year. Not read the book but it's supposed to be pretty good.

Aught to be Lovecraftian enough.

17 hours ago, Designer1 said:

340585310_download(1).jpeg.4526cd50260c71e6261e4f566d0c49e3.jpeg

An Evening with Beverly Luff Linn.

Superbly grotesque romantic comedy from the Greasy Strangler people.

If you enjoyed the unique humour of GS then you'll be right at home with this.

I laughed like a drain throughout. Wonderful stuff.

Jemaine , April and the Pontiac Bandit ?

I'm in.

• Like 2

Blackkklansman was pretty good, even though I had read the book previously and there were a few embellishments on the original story.

spike lee did a good job of highlighting the similarities between 70s America and America today under Trump. 

21 hours ago, mjmooney said:

The  BAFTAs seem to be leaning very heavily toward political correctness with the number of black and/or female winners. 

I hope it is based purely on ability but you can't help think after the 'scandals of recent years (lack of diversity etc) that award ceremonies going forward will be box ticking exercises. Same with the nominations. 

• Like 1

Â