The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Mary Queen of Scots - dull, uninteresting and unlikable characters, plus a confusing incoherent plot, for me this is Sairse Ronans'first stinker. 

Green Book - terrifically entertaining, fun feel good road trip unlikely buddy film. No surprises but a fun script and the two leads make it so watchable 

On 02/02/2019 at 14:14, theboyangel said:

Tonight we’ll be watching Leave No Trace and tomorrow Hotel Artemis 

looking forward to both 

So, Leave No Trace was very good. Well acted, particularly Tom and nicely paced (it could've been infuriating slow under other direction). 

Hotel Artemis was alright. A good concept but never really developed any.of the characters so felt a little mis-hit in places. It was only 90 mins too so it had plenty of scope to flesh it out. Not bad,  it not brilliant either. 

watched if beale street could talk and first man, both good but slightly disappointing, not surprised that either have seemingly got awards snubs

if beale street could talk is told is a great way and has some good performances but its a strange one in that it feels quite relevant despite its setting and yet at the same time it doesn't punch as hard as the green book

first man was more disappointing, assuming that they portray him accurately he seems largely void of character which means he doesnt come across that interesting, theres some stuff with the wife that maybe people might take differently and some strong stuff about his daughter but again it lacked punch and the film cant be that accurate because the landing never actually happened

not a bad weekend aquaman, green book, first man, beale street, BR, bumblebee, still need to sit down and watch roma and get hold of vice, watched 10 minutes of the favourite and didnt think it would be my thing, for the same reason i havent watched a star is born yet either

2 hours ago, theboyangel said:

So, Leave No Trace was very good. Well acted, particularly Tom and nicely paced (it could've been infuriating slow under other direction). 

Watched this and I have to say it was different to what I expected but still a good watch and enjoyable.

• Like 1

Overlord Poster

6.5/10

Not my favorite occult/nazi/zombie/horror movie of all times, but not bad either. 

Was more "serious" and gory than I thought it would be. So that's nice :D 

Still prefer Dead Snow, Outpost, (Hellboy) and even Frankenstein's Army and a few others on entertainment value if not production value.

Iron Sky and Nazis at the Centre of the Earth is also fun.

Saw the 3rd How to Train Your Dragon film last night as sister wanted to see it. It was actually good fun, not seen the first two, though. A very charming animation to go along with Pixar's better efforts. 

Also saw it in 3d4DX, which was rather unnecessary. Daft and gimmicky but probably enjoyable for the primary target audience for that film

12 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Glass last night

what a stinking pile of poo that was  , the implication is there could be further films in the series... let’s hope that isn’t the case 

Unbreakable was a great movie. And I didn't see it but Split seemed good too.

But the trailer for Glass looked awful.

15 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

gone-girl-to-koritsi-pou-exafanistike-di

Gave this a watch last night.

A lengthy film but it was quite decent and some good twists. Definitely worth a watch.

I am terrified of women because of this film.  If I see one I break out into a cold sweat.

• Haha 2

Sully - nice to catch a 90 minute film these days. I thought it was a well made movie about the plane landing in the Hudson. Tom Hanks is very good, and Eckhart and Linny are fine with the limited roles they have, the structure of the film worked well, and dramatising an event that everyone knows was a successful landing could be tough but it still felt unnerving watching it. My one main criticism of it, would be that

some of the investigators of the crash do appear to be given a bit of a cartoonish feel about them . I don't know if that's what they were like in real life, I presume it was amped up to create needle for the film.

I don't think spoilers should really be necessary for a real life event that happened only a decade ago, but there we go.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Rodders said:

Sully - nice to catch a 90 minute film these days. I thought it was a well made movie about the plane landing in the Hudson. Tom Hanks is very good, and Eckhart and Linny are fine with the limited roles they have, the structure of the film worked well, and dramatising an event that everyone knows was a successful landing could be tough but it still felt unnerving watching it. My one main criticism of it, would be that

Hide contents

some of the investigators of the crash do appear to be given a bit of a cartoonish feel about them . I don't know if that's what they were like in real life, I presume it was amped up to create needle for the film.

I don't think spoilers should really be necessary for a real life event that happened only a decade ago, but there we go.

I think

Spoiler

the entire investigation aspect was vastly exaggerated to add some drama to the film. In reality I think the investigation was more of a formality (as you'd expect with any air disaster, an investigation has to take place) and not the witch hunt it was made out to be in the movie.

In fact I'm sure I read that Sullenberger himself objected to that part of the movie.

It's not a complaint, on my part. I think it made for a better movie.

Edited by Stevo985

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I think the investigation was more of a formality (as you'd expect with any air disaster, an investigation has to take place)

I probably mentioned it at the time , but when the plane went down , my mate got the call to secure all the flight data info so that there could be no accusations of tampering  ( he works for one of the companies that record this info , he isn't just some random bloke on the web that Airbus decided to call :) )

they confirmed events from the flight data fairly quickly (loss of thrust )  , but If I recall there was an issue over a fault that had been reported on the same plane a few days earlier  that they had to determine if it was related / relevant or not

Don't know about the witch hunt aspect of the story , but I agree it helped make the film interesting 

Â