The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Didn't much enjoy the second installment of Fantastic Beasts either.

The Crimes Grindewald looks good, but that's about it.

The world doesn't really work of fit in with the Harry Potter one, same with the magic that is extremely OP compared to in Harry Potter.

Newt is brittishly quirky and there are lots of beasts that the kids will find cute I guess but the story is not great and feel even worse than the one Peter Jackson and his pals tried to do to fit in with the LOTR-Bilbo gap.

All seem cynical and moneygrabbing exploiting a franchise to build a new one.

It's very weak.

5/10 

Do you guys watch films based on critical reviews? I.e. Do you allow reviews to determine if you watch something or not? 

Generally, I tend to use Rotten Tomatoes or Metacritic to get an idea of whether a film is going to be decent or not. Recently I've watched a few films without looking,  enjoyed them and then seen that they are getting absolutely panned by critics. I'm gonna stop bothering to look in future. I'm only going to let positive reviews influence my thinking (as in, I'll watch a film I had no initial interest in watching, if the reviews are good) 

Edited by wazzap24

4 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

Do you guys watch films based on critical reviews? I.e. Do you allow reviews to determine if you watch something or not? 

Generally, I tend to use Rotten Tomatoes or Metacritic to get an idea of whether a film is going to be decent or not. Recently I've watched a few films without looking,  enjoyed them and then seen that they are getting absolutely panned by critics. I'm gonna stop bothering to look in future. I'm only going to let positive reviews influence my thinking (as in, I'll watch a film I had no initial interest in watching, if the reviews are good) 

Sometimes. But generally I do it positively rather than negatively. 

As in if I want to see a film and it gets panned I’ll usually still see it anyway. I wouldn’t normally let a negative review stop me seeing a film.

Whereas it’s more likely that I WOULD see a film that I’d had no intention of seeing if it gets really positive reviews. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Sometimes. But generally I do it positively rather than negatively. 

As in if I want to see a film and it gets panned I’ll usually still see it anyway. I wouldn’t normally let a negative review stop me seeing a film.

Whereas it’s more likely that I WOULD see a film that I’d had no intention of seeing if it gets really positive reviews. 

Due to the sheer volume of great films (and TV) about now, I was using critical consensus as a filter of sorts, trying not to waste valuable watching time on Shite stuff. 

I'm abandoning this approach going forwards. 

1 hour ago, wazzap24 said:

Due to the sheer volume of great films (and TV) about now, I was using critical consensus as a filter of sorts, trying not to waste valuable watching time on Shite stuff. 

I'm abandoning this approach going forwards. 

I'll still do it for films I'm not fussed about.

Like if I see a trailer and think "Yeah I might watch that" and then it gets panned I probably won't bother.

• Like 1

I read Empire every month and agree with the vast majority of their ratings, so can be swayed by their leanings (not always the case but they’re a good gauge for what’s decent)

i don’t tend to read all of the review (for fear of giving too much away) if I intend on seeing it at the cinema (a rarity and luxury having kids!)

we usually end up watching films on DVD/streamed now anyway. 

• Like 1

On 26/01/2019 at 15:52, wazzap24 said:

I tend to go by the subject matter and the trailer .. if it’s a film about high school musical then rest assure no 5 star review is going to make the film appealing to me

Hard to trust reviews sometimes , Peterloo got a good write up in Empire but was a tedious film to watch , empire seem to review based on the director rather than the film itself and thus Sunsine got a 5 star when really it was more like a 3 ( all subjective before people tell me it was a master class in film making ) 

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, wazzap24 said:

I tend to go by the subject matter and the trailer .. if it’s a film about high school musical then rest assure no 5 star review is going to make the film appealing to me

Hard to trust reviews sometimes , Peterloo got a good write up in Empire but was a tedious film to watch , empire seem to review based on the director rather than the film itself and thus Sunsine got a 5 star when really it was more like a 3 ( all subjective before people tell me it was a master class in film making ) 

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 1

On ‎26‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 16:52, wazzap24 said:

Rarely. I mostly read reviews after I've watched a film to see if the writer agrees with me or not. But sometimes it happens that a film I've not intended to see gets so good reviews that I watch it anyway, but probably not at the cinema. It very rarely goes the other way that there's a film I want to watch that gets bad reviews which makes me not wanting to watch it. I rather for the reviews from some on here. And that also in the positive way, meaning making me watch a film I never thought about watching.

• Like 1

yeah i do, if im on the fence after the trailers then i'll wait and see how it reviews, aquaman is a good example wasnt really fussed by it but if it had got 9/10s (the above might change my mind ;) ) i would probably have seen it by now, doesnt work the opposite way though, if i am sold by the trailers then i will watch it regardless of the reviews

tend to use award season more than anything else, especially to find new films, when i had my cineworld membership i would use RT a fair bit and try and see a film every weekend

i think more than anything else the reviews impact when and how i watch it

The Mule. Clint Eastwood in a typical non PC role and like his recent movies it could be his last on screen. Entertaining enough and amusing at time plus based on a true story

Despite his age his director skills arent waning 

Going all Pooligan I got around to watching Laurence of Arabia  yesterday .. they somehow managed to turn an interesting part of history into a snooze fest , all it really makes you appreciate is that Guinness played a Jedi Knight exactly the same way he played a Saudi Prince and perhaps his range wasn’t all that :)

It’s a film crying out for a decent remake 

9 hours ago, Zatman said:

The Mule. Clint Eastwood in a typical non PC role and like his recent movies it could be his last on screen. Entertaining enough and amusing at time plus based on a true story

Despite his age his director skills arent waning 

I find it pretty astonishing that he's still making movies. Good ones at that (apparently, I haven't seen The Mule yet)

He must just genuinely love the movie business.

Â