The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

The mule tonight... once I got over  the disappointment that it wasn’t an Emile Heskey biopic I quite enjoyed it .... Eastwood basically took his Gran Torino character and turned him into a drug runner minus the ability to beat up hoodlums but that aside it was an enjoyable film , with some genuine funny moments 

Eastwood looks frail (for those of you wanting tips for the 2020 deadpool thread ) I’d imagine this must be his last film ? 

9 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

The mule tonight... once I got over  the disappointment that it wasn’t an Emile Heskey biopic I quite enjoyed it .... Eastwood basically took his Gran Torino character and turned him into a drug runner minus the ability to beat up hoodlums but that aside it was an enjoyable film , with some genuine funny moments 

Eastwood looks frail (for those of you wanting tips for the 2020 deadpool thread ) I’d imagine this must be his last film ? 

I said above I'm astonished he's still making movies. He's 88. There must be no other reason for him to make them other than he **** loves making movies. He can't be short of cash and even if he was, does it matter at 88 years old?

I'd be surprised if he made another one, especially starring in it too, but I said that after Gran Torino and that was 10 years ago.

Re-watched Isle of Dogs over the weekend.

It really is a great feel good movie, it makes you smile.

Also notice quite a few things I missed the first time a watched it, lots of nice little details.

It's Wes Anderson, but not over the top Wes Anderson.

One of my favorite films from last year.

• Like 3

Christopher Robin: A really nice movie. I was happier after watching this than before. Top stuff.

Polar: Bizarre old git-em-up. It is watchable but not very memorable. The final scene is a gem though, with both surviving actors struggling so hard to keep straight faces as the film decends into bizarre N. Might utterShambles silliness.

On 30/01/2019 at 08:38, Stevo985 said:

I said above I'm astonished he's still making movies. He's 88. There must be no other reason for him to make them other than he **** loves making movies. He can't be short of cash and even if he was, does it matter at 88 years old?

I'd be surprised if he made another one, especially starring in it too, but I said that after Gran Torino and that was 10 years ago.

Manoel de Oliveira directed his final feature film at 104, so Eastwood has a bit to go yet! 

• Like 1

Green book is simply superb. If it doesn't clean up at the awards there are serious issues. Both main actors put in at times breathtaking performances. I tend to see quite a lot of films, but rarely do I wake up the next day still thinking about them. 

I'd be amazed if it doesn't remain my favourite film of the year, and honestly if it doesn't remain one of the best films I've watched. 

Also saw the mule this week. As said before, it's good enough to be enjoyable. I found the ending a little disappointing but Eastwood is still good to watch even now. Can't say I'd watch it again, but glad I did. 

• Like 3

expect a ruck of new trailers with the superbowl sunday, would expect a final captain marvel TV spot, maybe just maybe another endgame teaser, the rock and stathams F&F spin off will almost definitely have one, maybe star wars, toy story 4 confirmed as coming after the game, It chapter 2, dark phoenix, dumbo, Aladdin

although i think the biggest things could be game of thrones or netflix

^ as above, here’s the trailer for understated arthouse picture “Hobbs & Shaw”. 

Spoiler

In fairness, it does look like self knowing, OTT nonsense fun. Having Statham & The Rock wise cracking will be more fun than listening to Vin Diesel go on about “family” all the time anyway.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, This Could Be Rotterdam said:

Green book is simply superb. If it doesn't clean up at the awards there are serious issues. Both main actors put in at times breathtaking performances. I tend to see quite a lot of films, but rarely do I wake up the next day still thinking about them. 

I'd be amazed if it doesn't remain my favourite film of the year, and honestly if it doesn't remain one of the best films I've watched. 

looked them both up, tony lip has acting credits in the godfather, dog day afternoon, raging bull, goodfellas, donnie brasco as well as playing carmine in the sopranos 😳

• Like 1

agree with green book too, really good, the subject is right down my alley which helps but its better than the big award films from the last couple of years 3 billboards, shape of water, la la land, moonlight etc

both the actors seemed so natural in their roles they made it look easy

• Thanks 1

Polar on Netflix.

Take John Wick, and turn everything up to 11. Particularly in the 'stupid' stakes. Barely has a plot, everyone who isn't Mads Mikkelson is dreadful, its extremely violent but somehow makes the graphic nature of it all a bit dull, tonally it's a complete mess, it's look is all over the shop jumping between dayglo hyper saturated scenes to completely drained monotone... It's completely eclectic.

Might be the perfect example of a so bad is kinda good film. Mikkelson is good and is almost in a completely different film to everyone else (for most of the film, almost literally), everything else is varying levels of bad with a few good action scenes interspersed. But it's enjoyable for a completely dumb grimy nasty film, despite its many issues.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Rock? Statham? Elba?

giphy.gif

watched bohemian rhapsody, thought it was ok, not a huge queen fan and yet i somehow wanted more from it, i dont think its really that complex or in depth and as a result its stuff that i think has been done before or just stuff you would expect from any run of the mill band biography littered with cliches about how they were different, its a bit paint by numbers, looks the part, malik is awesome (deserves some best actor awards) and the live aid stuff is brilliantly shot but i think theres a better story out there that could have been told, maybe they came up with the live aid ending 1st and then thought how do they get there? there's an element of wildness hinted at but i dont think they ever put their cock on the block and says something, they could have shown more debauchery than wolf of wall street

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Hide contents

In fairness, it does look like self knowing, OTT nonsense fun. Having Statham & The Rock wise cracking will be more fun than listening to Vin Diesel go on about “family” all the time anyway.

I would rather eat the dingleberries out of my dog's arse than watch that.

I will never see that film. Thank. God.*

*I'm an atheist

14 hours ago, Chindie said:

Polar on Netflix.

Take John Wick, and turn everything up to 11. Particularly in the 'stupid' stakes. Barely has a plot, everyone who isn't Mads Mikkelson is dreadful, its extremely violent but somehow makes the graphic nature of it all a bit dull, tonally it's a complete mess, it's look is all over the shop jumping between dayglo hyper saturated scenes to completely drained monotone... It's completely eclectic.

Might be the perfect example of a so bad is kinda good film. Mikkelson is good and is almost in a completely different film to everyone else (for most of the film, almost literally), everything else is varying levels of bad with a few good action scenes interspersed. But it's enjoyable for a completely dumb grimy nasty film, despite its many issues.

I loved it, it was so over the top!

It is a 'terrible film' I suppose, but a proper enjoyable one none the less. 

I hope they make the sequel it hints at. 

Â