The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

1 hour ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Films I've seen the most often are probably the Back to the Future trilogy, Die Hard, Dumb & Dumber, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Wayne's World 1 & 2. A lot of these are down to repeat viewings in my younger years.

Films I'll watch regardless of how far along it's been on for include -

Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid

Master & Commander : the far side of the World

The Bridge on the River Kwai

Rear Window

The Towering Inferno

The Third Man

And, as prompted @BOF, I've found myself watching the first scene only of Inglorious Basterds before switching over.

There's probably loads of others but off the top of my head, they're the films I can happily jump into, comfy old slippers style.

I can watch any Hitchcock film over and over again. I just love them!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Definitely the worst movie I've ever seen, especially from a technical point of view - even worse than Plan 9 From Outer Space - but to be fair it was made as a passion project by rank amateurs so I can't dislike it like I do many Hollywood efforts

Worst-made: Manos

Least Amusing: Big Momma's House

Most Punchably Smug: The Edukators

Most Boring Yet Hateful: John Wick

I'm sure others will come back to me. 

This is a fair point - it is terrible, but hey, I guess if they had fun making it then it does make it less dislikeable than many Hollywood films.

If we are talking about overall dislike for any reason rather than just for technical or quality reasons, then I would have to put The Force Awakens up there for me. Yes it was extremely well-made, yes a lot of people liked it, but to me it was a cynical second-rate remake of a classic film (or two) with utterly abysmal dialogue, awful scriptwriting and some terrible acting. I was so annoyed watching that film... it could have been so so so much better. I had really high expectations for it (stupidly I suppose) and felt massively let down by it.

5 hours ago, BOF said:

Films I willl always watch if they're on?

The Green Mile.  Shawshank Redemption. Men in Black 3 (come at me bro'). Star Trek : Nemesis.  The Dark Knight.  12 Angry Men (though it's rarely on). 

12 angry men is on this Sunday morning 11am on Film4

Edited by theboyangel
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, Designer1 said:

on ET

Classic example there.

Cannot bloody stand that movie.

189.gif

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Films I've seen the most often are probably the Back to the Future trilogy, Die Hard, Dumb & Dumber, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Wayne's World 1 & 2. A lot of these are down to repeat viewings in my younger years.

Similar, but would add original Star Wars trilogy

Trainspotting as well.

19 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

i'll watch Close Encounters of the Third Kind every time it's on the TV, Apocalypse Now I've seen maybe thirty times and always get dragged into, Jaws is another one (Spielberg was good for a moment in the mid seventies) I seem to always get drawn into 500 Days of Summer too - big softie me.

Oh definitely add Jaws to mine. I'm sure there are loads I'm forgetting. Exorcist too. 

Films that are rated but I don't think are that great?

The Godfather

The Big Lebowski

The Tree of Life

Deadpool

Miller's Crossing

BTTF 3

I'm sure there are many others but they spring to mind straight away

10 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Forrest Gump

The Godfather (all of them)

Arrival

The Matrix