The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

1 hour ago, hogso said:

Maybe they re-shot and re-cast and re-wrote scenes themselves and put them in to the fan cut?

If they managed to fit in a few re-writes there's every chance the fan edits are better :D

On 17/05/2017 at 04:29, Withnail said:

So I just looked that up.  There appears to be a whack of fan edits.  Any ideas about which is the best one.

I have the Severian version.

42 minutes ago, This Could Be Rotterdam said:

Watched the prestige earlier, really enjoyable. Surprised id never heard of it before, there's quite a few big names in it. 

It's also directed by Christopher Nolan

i think it's a brilliant film, didn't see the twist coming

That's pretty exciting for me actually. Spider-Man 3 was something I'd been looking forward to since I was a kid and they made the venom symbiote an absolute joke. Getting a second chance with Tom Hardy as (presumably) Eddie Brock is a dream. God I hope it's good.

Just now, wazzap24 said:

Tom Hardy is going to play Venom in a spidey-spinoff. 

Blimey. 

There's a significant part of me that feels he'll leave that project.

It's supposed to be out in about 20 months. That means they've either quickly cobbled together a script, which is rarely good, or they've used one they had before they realised their Spider-Man universe was dead. Which also won't be good.

And rumour had it that this Venom movie wasn't going to be MCU related and was actually going to be used as a way of Sony using the Spider-Man rights they have to make their own cinematic universe without this new Spider-Man and unrelated to the MCU, with Venom basically being their Deadpool/Logan R Rated superhero film. Or the suggestion was Sony's deal with Marvel is a limited time thing and after Homecoming, Infinity War and Homecoming 2, all bets are off, therefore they'd parachute a Spider-Man they'd had set up for them back into their own car crash universe.

If either of those are true... **** this movie.

Good casting but I've absolutely no interest in a Venom movie in a world unrelated to Spider-Man. And I don't care about a fully Sony Spider-Man either anymore.

However... If this is MCU. And if Spider-Man is at least acknowledged. And it's true to the character. And they don't needlessly chase the rating. And they don't mess about establishing loads of other crap... I'm on board. Venom was always one of my favourite characters, but he's nothing without his nemesis.

Every time I watch aliens I'm reminded of the first time I watched it as like a 10 year old kid, film started at 8pm but it was on ITV when the news was on every night at 9pm, my mom let me beg steal and borrow a massive favour and stay up until the news knowing that pretty much **** all happens in the first hour, took me about another 5 years to watch the rest of the film

10 hours ago, villa4europe said:

After having the stern discussion with a yoof in my office who won't watch alien or aliens because he thought Prometheus was shit 

Never speak to him again! 

Nice kid we wind him something rotten, he's about 26 now, when I first started working with him about 5 years ago forget the insane list of films and bands he'd never heard of he'd never eaten spag bol, his list of things he hadn't done was incredible

On 2017-5-18 at 22:03, Ginko said:

So... Alien: Covenant is a bit shit, isn't it? Sigh.

Spoiler

You mean Prometheus mark II?  Yep!

The lack of imagination in the storyline was shocking, it was principally the same film!!  

Ship lands on planet - crew are happy.  Crew act stupid and get infected.  'Not as scary as the original' alien hatches, panic sets in.  Majority of the film then plays out in low lit setting so to save on visual effects budget.  The bit from when Danny McBride comes to save them is decent enough, and the sinister ending is good, but not enough to save it for me.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, GREAT_BEARD_OF_ZEUS said:
  Hide contents

You mean Prometheus mark II?  Yep!

The lack of imagination in the storyline was shocking, it was principally the same film!!  

Ship lands on planet - crew are happy.  Crew act stupid and get infected.  'Not as scary as the original' alien hatches, panic sets in.  Majority of the film then plays out in low lit setting so to save on visual effects budget.  The bit from when Danny McBride comes to save them is decent enough, and the sinister ending is good, but not enough to save it for me.

Even the ending was crap for me, incredibly obvious even without the massive clues they dropped. Might as well have flashed it up on screen.

Youre right though, essentially the exact same film as Prometheus. So much for learning from your mistakes, Ridley. 

• Like 1

Â