The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

i watched it last week for the first time since the cinema, i really liked it first time round, so much that i then went and read up on it a fair bit after, watched it again and didnt really enjoy it, so much of it seemed fabricated

"Tonight, I have mostly been watchingggggggggggggg" 

large_rJmwGTTokkPCbM3RI0PATef2Krb.jpg

Going to buy this, what a find, can't believe I've never come across this before. Powers Boothe, legend. What a tense finale, no spoilers. Think "deliverance" but better, well in my opinion anyway, actually quite similar. Don't know which came first. I'll be watching this again soon. For sure. Deadwood fans ahoy:

keith-carradine-powers-boothe-southern-c

KEITHCARRADINE.jpg

powers+boothe.png

Edited by Midfielder
  • Like 3

Alien Covenant.

I'll give Ridley this. He can certainly roll a turd in glitter.

Fabulous looking, like every Ridley Scott movie, with an exception to some curiously dreadful CGI at times. Beyond that? Err... Some of the performances are alright?

...Perhaps I'm being harsh. The Alien series, despite so many missteps (3 is alright in the Assembly Cut, Resurrection is awful bar having Winona in it, the AVP films include the worst film I've ever seen, Prometheus was a decent concept smothered in a dreadful script), always has the pedigree, that class, of the first 2, that elevates it above the average. And Ridley can do brilliant stuff. So you have expectation with this.

And it's not great. The plot is thin, the dialogue dreadful (hilarious at times), it further messes with Alien mythos and not for the better, some of the effects are horrendous, it's paced ludicrously...

Takes all the crap elements of Prometheus with none of the vaguely interesting A Level philosophy and smashes it into a knock off of Alien.

It says a lot that it feels like a run of the mill monster movie that happens to have the greatest movie monster ever in it.

I'm now firmly convinced that Scott is the world's best jobbing director. I think Kermode sorta made the same point. It seems Scott will make anything very well. Technically, dodgy CGI aside, it's hard to fault this. Everything outright wrong is from the script. He's taken what he's been given and made it solidly.  It seems he'll spruce up and bang out anything you give him. What comes out the other side depends whether you asked him to make a diamond ring or a gold plated cowpat.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Chindie said:

Alien Covenant.

I'll give Ridley this. He can certainly roll a turd in glitter.

Fabulous looking, like every Ridley Scott movie, with an exception to some curiously dreadful CGI at times. Beyond that? Err... Some of the performances are alright?

...Perhaps I'm being harsh. The Alien series, despite so many missteps (3 is alright in the Assembly Cut, Resurrection is awful bar having Winona in it, the AVP films include the worst film I've ever seen, Prometheus was a decent concept smothered in a dreadful script), always has the pedigree, that class, of the first 2, that elevates it above the average. And Ridley can do brilliant stuff. So you have expectation with this.

And it's not great. The plot is thin, the dialogue dreadful (hilarious at times), it further messes with Alien mythos and not for the better, some of the effects are horrendous, it's paced ludicrously...

Takes all the crap elements of Prometheus with none of the vaguely interesting A Level philosophy and smashes it into a knock off of Alien.

It says a lot that it feels like a run of the mill monster movie that happens to have the greatest movie monster ever in it.

I'm now firmly convinced that Scott is the world's best jobbing director. I think Kermode sorta made the same point. It seems Scott will make anything very well. Technically, dodgy CGI aside, it's hard to fault this. Everything outright wrong is from the script. He's taken what he's been given and made it solidly.  It seems he'll spruce up and bang out anything you give him. What comes out the other side depends whether you asked him to make a diamond ring or a gold plated cowpat.

This is so depressing. I was hoping it might be passable.

I personally don't think Scott had made a watchable film since Thelma & Louise ( & that was only good because of the cinematography)

I quite enjoyed Alien Covenant.

It has a multitude of issues, as Chindie said the pacing is all over the shop and it jumps around searching to find a thematic identity. It also suffers from a couple of bizarre 'WTF' moments (one in particular had me laughing and im pretty sure thats not what they intended) 

But on the plus side it strips back the more convoluted elements of Prometheus and has a much more straightforward narrative which coupled with some good performances, despite the clunky dialogue (Billy Crudup the standout for me) and some beautiful visuals meant I wasn't bored at all during its runtime.

It was never ever going to be 1,2 or 3 but it's a big improvement on the lamentable 4 and Prometheus.

There's also a nod to Blade Runner with one of lines of dialogue which I thought was a nice touch.

Edited by Designer1

12 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

I quite enjoyed Alien Covenant.

It has a multitude of issues, as Chindie said the pacing is all over the shop and it jumps around searching to find a thematic identity. It also suffers from a couple of bizarre 'WTF' moments (one in particular had me laughing and im pretty sure thats not what they intended) 

But on the plus side it strips back the more convoluted elements of Prometheus and has a much more straightforward narrative which coupled with some good performances, despite the clunky dialogue (Billy Crudup the standout for me) and some beautiful visuals meant I wasn't bored at all during its runtime.

It was never ever going to be 1,2 or 3 but it's a big improvement on the lamentable 4 and Prometheus.

There's also a nod to Blade Runner with one of lines of dialogue which I thought was a nice touch.

I actually agree with a lot of this, I also thought Crudup stood out (criminally underused actor IMO) but walked away disappointed. I feel the more that is elaborated in the Alien universe the less it works.

As for the laugh out loud dialogue...

Spoiler

'I'll do the fingering' by any chance? :D I know it's accurate terminology but the weird hints at homoeroticism in that scene and the way the line is delivered... There was a group of teen girls in the showing I was in last night who pissed themselves through the entire scene after that, and I couldn't blame them.

I guess it's a better movie than Prometheus. Which isn't saying much.

• Like 1

Re. The WTF bit...

Spoiler

It wasn't a bit of dialogue it was Crudup's chest burst scene. The 'Come at me bro' pose that the alien pulled just had me in bits :D

• Like 1

A few Wonder Woman reactions have come out. Seems like it's alright. Reviews are embargoed until the day before release, which suggests (and ties in with the earlier rumours) that Warner Bros aren't confident, but the initial reactions suggest it's a decent watch. Considering every comment over the production suggested it was a mess that has to be a positive I guess.

Trailers have looked decent.

We'll see. I'd like DC to start to make something good, their properties lend themselves to a different kind of universe to Marvel and so far they've largely **** it. Perhaps this will change the tide.

• Like 1

Just watching Enter the Dragon again for the gazillionth time and a couple of things struck me.

1. I think the soundtrack is up there with Schifrin's best work.

2. I'll never forgive David Zucker for A Fistful of Yen :D - definitely one of the greatest movie parodies ever but I find it hard to watch EtD without thinking about it and laughing.

• Like 1

On 14/05/2017 at 00:46, Midfielder said:

"Tonight, I have mostly been watchingggggggggggggg" 

large_rJmwGTTokkPCbM3RI0PATef2Krb.jpg

Going to buy this, what a find, can't believe I've never come across this before. Powers Boothe, legend. What a tense finale, no spoilers. Think "deliverance" but better, well in my opinion anyway, actually quite similar. Don't know which came first. I'll be watching this again soon. For sure. Deadwood fans ahoy:

keith-carradine-powers-boothe-southern-c

KEITHCARRADINE.jpg

powers+boothe.png

Whoa........ I'm giving this thread a very wide berth for a while, for the safety of other great actors! No pressing Like either as that means you "like" the fact he died and that makes you a ----! :ph34r:

Rest in peace big man. 

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/powers-boothe-dead-character-actor-deadwood-tombstone-sin-city-dies-a7735991.html

Text: 

Powers Boothe, the character actor known for his villain roles in TV's Deadwood, and in the movies TombstoneSin City and The Avengers, has died. He was 68.

Boothe's publicist says he died of natural causes at his home in Los Angeles Sunday.

Edited by Midfielder

Still angry about Alien: Convolute. I don't know where they find these writers. Someone like Alex Garland should be given a go or kidnap James Cameron from Pandora.

Star Trek: Beyond

7/10

I really like the new Star Trek movies. I couldn't warm to the previous ones or the TV shows. 

Alien Covenant:

Firstly I caught this at the IMAX at resorts world, first film I've seen at an IMAX and it was certainly an assault on the senses.

Scott can make a great looking film that's for sure, and the sound was amazing and immersive.

With most sci-fi films i'm willing to forgive some clunky dialogue and its certainly present here. Once again the crew both say and do stupid and illogical things that you wouldn't expected from highly trained individuals responsible for 2000 lives on board. If you had problems with Prometheus then I would expect the same reservations here.

The themes on offer are what made me enjoy Prometheus so much, this film seems to be a bit more direct offering some pay off to the questions posed by its predecessor.

If one thing jars slightly with this film its that on the one hand its exploring the deepest concepts imaginable in terms of creators and creations of life while on the other hand its tending towards a fairly basic sci-fi horror film where its emulating parts of the original alien films to create that sense of nostalgia for the fans. It doesn't quite come together as cohesive film possibly trying to do too much within the limited run time of 2 hours, I can't fault Scott for trying though.

Overall I enjoyed it, much the same as Prometheus and definitely look forward to the next one - hopefully we wont have to wait another 5 years this time.

7.5/10

Edited by AVFCDAN
  • Like 1

Watched Anthropoid and The Colony, both based on true events.

Firstly, surrounding the assassination of The Butcher Of Prague during the nazi occupation of Czechoslovakia and secondly about the Chilean cult at Colonia Dignidad, used by Pinoches secret police.

Both films were pretty decent. 

Edited by theboyangel

7 hours ago, stuart_75 said:

I have a copy of the Prometheus "fan edit" , not sure if anyone else has seen it. It does make it a far better film IMHO.

So I just looked that up.  There appears to be a whack of fan edits.  Any ideas about which is the best one.

Â