The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Apparently there's a new Hellboy coming :D:D:D

...It isn't being made by Del Toro :(

...It doesn't star Ron Perlman :(

Being directed by Neil Marshall and staring David Harbour, who is best known as a the sheriff from Stranger Things (who was great).

Edited by Chindie
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Chindie said:

Apparently there's a new Hellboy coming :D:D:D

...It isn't being made by Del Toro :(

...It doesn't star Ron Perlman :(

8807185.jpg

6 minutes ago, BOF said:

8807185.jpg

It's an 'R rated' reboot to cash in on the success of Deadpool and Logan. So Hellboy 3 is firmly dead. Del Toro only a few months ago tried to get it going again and had no luck, so it's the old start again thing.

That series was so perfect though. Del Toro loves that macabre monster aesthetic with as much practical work as possible, which was bang on for that world, the Troll Market in 2 is like a child's dream of a monster world, and Ron Perlman looks more or less identical Mignola's art of Hellboy (apart from the times he drew him much skinnier, and even then the face is the same), which is saying something given how stylised Mignolas work is. Those 2 films are awesome.

Marshall is a decent director and Harbour does have a bit of a younger Perlman about him... But it's not going to be in the same vein we all want. It'll be done cheaper and smashed out. Oh well. I love the character (the collection of library editions on my shelf is testament to that) so I'll take more... But it'll not be the same.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Chindie said:

It's an 'R rated' reboot to cash in on the success of Deadpool and Logan. So Hellboy 3 is firmly dead. Del Toro only a few months ago tried to get it going again and had no luck, so it's the old start again thing.

That series was so perfect though. Del Toro loves that macabre monster aesthetic with as much practical work as possible, which was bang on for that world, the Troll Market in 2 is like a child's dream of a monster world, and Ron Perlman looks more or less identical Mignola's art of Hellboy (apart from the times he drew him much skinnier, and even then the face is the same), which is saying something given how stylised Mignolas work is. Those 2 films are awesome.

Marshall is a decent director and Harbour does have a bit of a younger Perlman about him... But it's not going to be in the same vein we all want. It'll be done cheaper and smashed out. Oh well. I love the character (the collection of library editions on my shelf is testament to that) so I'll take more... But it'll not be the same.

Yeah the reboot thrashes the original timeline.  That was also one of the more reasoned criticisms of the Ghostbusters reboot, that it basically got in the way of there ever being another sequel to the original series.

A Canadian film Two Lovers and a bear meant to be set in the Tundra region. Great cinematography. Starring Tatiana Maslany, better knowing for playing all the clones in Orphan Black. Good film 8/10

• Like 1

Tasmanian Devils  (2013) 

I came across this film purely by chance Certainly not up there with the best films i have ever seen but was a decent watch 

18 hours ago, pooligan said:

Tasmanian Devils  (2013) 

I came across this film purely by chance Certainly not up there with the best films i have ever seen but was a decent watch 

VT's own Barry Norman returns...but forgot the marks out of ten :(

• Like 2

On 2017-5-9 at 21:55, Zatman said:

I didnt like the original Blade Runner :ph34r:

I'm totally with you. I think it gets remembered more fondly by a lot of people because it has a fantastic last 10/15 minutes. But much of the film before that, I could live without. 

Just got back from Alien Covenant

That was the one ending i knew was a possibility and dreading, i hope David is not the creator of all xenomorphs and just these protomorphs as it will bastardize and retcon massive elements of the franchise.

Edited by AshVilla

Â