The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Guardians 2 is so disappointing. The opposite of vol 1. They just went overboard on jokes, never knowing when to quit. After 40 minutes I was watch checking wondering how long was left I was so bored. It finishes well enough and the beginning is ok but the chunk in the middle is such a mess. Most disappointing film I can recall seeing in a very long time.

Popstar: Never Stop, Never Stopping

A mockumentary and parody on current music, following the life of a Justin bieber-esque star. 

Surprisingly funnier than expected, with some very amusing song lyrics and cameos.

If you like Andy samberg and Brooklyn nine nine you'll probably enjoy it. 

7 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Just watching Train to Busan.

**** me it's brilliant.

My mate recommended that to me. Haven't got round to it yet but might have to now...

6 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Arrival.

What a load of twaddle that was..

(sorry.. hadn't actually seen the post above when I made mine, I thought it was terrible though)

I remember sitting down to watch it, and I watched the first 30 minutes or so with interest - I teach a language and this seemed like it would surely be right up my street - and I watched it for a bit, and then I looked down, and I realised I'd been playing Landrule on my phone for about fifteen minutes, so I thought 'that's odd, I must have got distracted' so I rewound it for about 20 minutes and started watching again, and I was just following along nicely and then I suddenly realised I'd been posting on here for more than an hour and I hadn't actually watched any of it.  

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I remember sitting down to watch it, and I watched the first 30 minutes or so with interest - I teach a language and this seemed like it would surely be right up my street - and I watched it for a bit, and then I looked down, and I realised I'd been playing Landrule on my phone for about fifteen minutes, so I thought 'that's odd, I must have got distracted' so I rewound it for about 20 minutes and started watching again, and I was just following along nicely and then I suddenly realised I'd been posting on here for more than an hour and I hadn't actually watched any of it.  

I had a similar experience, only I kept falling asleep and thought I must be knackered. Turns out I wasn't. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

Since I never actually saw that bit, I can't comment really. 

Do you ever want to rewatch it? Don't read what follows if you do...

Spoiler

Have you ever heard the theory that language shapes the way you see the world? What if you learnt the language of a species that sees time as a singular thing rather than as a river that never stops going forward... What impact would that have on you having a child knowing it would die?

On paper, if you're in the university philosophy section, sounds interesting. In reality, earth shatteringly stupid.

Edited by Chindie
  • Like 1

It seems to follow that the people who didn't like it didn't seem to watch it in the cinema?

I think a lot of the impact of films is lost when viewed without the full cinematic experience and can turn some really great films into average ones.

Of course, some people just didn't fully understand Arrival :trollface:

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, darrenm said:

It seems to follow that the people who didn't like it didn't seem to watch it in the cinema?

I think a lot of the impact of films is lost when viewed without the full cinematic experience and can turn some really great films into average ones.

Yep I'm one of them.  It may very well be part of it but I don't think so.  But what I would say to someone asking about Arrival is that it is clearly SO divisive that they must watch it, just to see which camp they fall in to.  I wouldn't try to influence them because I've read enough positivity in here to know some really loved it, and that's fine!

7 minutes ago, darrenm said:

Of course, some people just didn't fully understand Arrival :trollface:

Oh you divil ! :) 

On 2017-5-5 at 22:15, Meath_Villan said:

ghost in the shell 2/10 .....scarlet's body 10/10

Surely Scarletts body is the only reason to watch it although I would give it a 4 out of 10 for the effects although its no bladerunner.

On 2017-5-4 at 22:18, Hornso said:

Suckerpunch is the only movie I've gone to the cinema and completely lost interest in 50% through and started looking at my phone to keep me interested.

I enjoyed that. It was fun and not fun at the same time.

Â