The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Hell or High Water, extremely impressive turns by the four main actors, Chris pine, Ben Foster, Jeff bridges and gil Birmingham. 

Very enjoyable, gritty but with smatterings of humour. 

Also impressed it was written by the guy who played the younger sheriff in Sons of Anarchy. 

Edited by theboyangel
  • Like 2

I don't like to write off films before seeing them but Covenant really looked awful from the get go. 

I've read the plot in detail, coupled with all the footage I've seen and I just know I'm going to hate it. Prometheus was a steaming pile of turd so how Scott seemingly hasn't learned from his mistakes is barmy.

Why oh why couldn't the aliens just have been, y'know, **** aliens?! The product of black goo/engineers bollocks explanation was so weak in Prometheus. Ugh. 

Would love to have seen what Blomkamp had in store :(

watching aliens last night i was thinking why do they keep trying to do deep powerful meaningful alien films full of convoluted theories and themes and references no one cares about, make a horror film or make an action film, id say both films are top of their genre, use what you've got which is probably the greatest alien villain ever created (albeit the ripley character which is awesome has now gone)

the new films are kind of nothing of anything, not action, not horror, maybe hard core sci-fi but thats now a crowded market

did think when they all talked about "its another bug hunt" that could be something interesting, they've never revisited the marines which is a massive shame

I really enjoyed District 9 but everything since then has just made me feel that it was beginner's luck. I doubt he would have done better, we just would have had another bad Alien film with funny accents and Sharlito Copley running around before hopefully getting eviscerated by a Xenomorph.

Should have let Villeneuve or Nolan have a crack at it or just left it well enough alone, but oh well.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

watching aliens last night i was thinking why do they keep trying to do deep powerful meaningful alien films full of convoluted theories and themes and references no one cares about, make a horror film or make an action film, id say both films are top of their genre, use what you've got which is probably the greatest alien villain ever created (albeit the ripley character which is awesome has now gone)

the new films are kind of nothing of anything, not action, not horror, maybe hard core sci-fi but thats now a crowded market

did think when they all talked about "its another bug hunt" that could be something interesting, they've never revisited the marines which is a massive shame

See, films need a theme, I have no problem with that. A film without a theme is empty. But you're right in that Prometheus and Covenant have a theme that no one cares about because it's completely unrelatable. The majority of people don't have God complexes and even those who do don't go anywhere near the extent to which these films do.

A story which is so fantastical and unfamiliar needs a recognisable theme that people can vibe with. Other than that, no one ever watched Alien and partway through wondered where the Xenomorph came from. It's a question pretty much no one asked and no one cared about.

It'd be like making a prequel to Jaws that delved into the shark's past. I haven't seen any of the sequels so perhaps this film exists and I'm unaware of it. Or perhaps that's what Deep Blue Sea was trying to be. Either way, if that film did exist, it would suck because, like the origins of the Xenomorph, it doesn't **** matter.

Edited by Ginko
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

watching total recall for about the 27th time, id be lying if i said i fully understood it

I got FIIIIIVE kids to feed!!!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Ginko said:

I really enjoyed District 9 but everything since then has just made me feel that it was beginner's luck. I doubt he would have done better, we just would have had another bad Alien film with funny accents and Sharlito Copley running around before hopefully getting eviscerated by a Xenomorph.

Should have let Villeneuve or Nolan have a crack at it or just left it well enough alone, but oh well.

I agree but I was still more interested in his A5 concept than any of this convoluted prequel nonsense Scott has conjured up.

1 minute ago, Ingram85 said:

I agree but I was still more interested in his A5 concept than any of this convoluted prequel nonsense Scott has conjured up.

In fairness I know nothing about what ideas he had and what he intended to explore, I just have no faith he'd make anything good.

9 hours ago, villa4europe said:

watching total recall for about the 27th time, id be lying if i said i fully understood it

Two weeks :)

• Like 1

Suicide Squad

I quite liked it but had low expectations to begin wth. I do actually prefer the DC stuff to Marvel, and that's not me being contrary, it just seems and feels darker. 

The soundtrack did feel a bit shoehorned in though. 

Oh and Harley Quinn's arse:

giphy.gif

14 minutes ago, Xela said:

Suicide Squad

I quite liked it but had low expectations to begin wth. I do actually prefer the DC stuff to Marvel, and that's not me being contrary, it just seems and feels darker. 

giphy.gif

I had to laugh at the amount of shots of HQ walking away from camera they managed to shoehorn in :thumb:

Watched T2 this morning (no, not that one)

Was much better than I expected actually, managed the nostalgia well but still had enough about it to justify its existence. Carlyle is still as scary as ever and somehow Spud manages to be the main character this time around.

Recommended.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Xela said:

Suicide Squad

giphy.gif

Came back to see my dad this weekend and he made me watch it. It was as awful as everyone says. Badly paced, crappy dialogue, boring characters that you don't spend enough time getting know so you don't care about them, crappy villains, one of whom is played by Cara Delevigne who proved she is definitely not an actor (and she does nothing for me, don't get the fuss, Margot Robbie on the other hand...), music that is shoehorned in and just gives scenes a weird vibe, a really shit take on Joker, a seriously unlikable commander who kills innocent people working for her and is the true villain of the piece that doesn't get any kind of comeuppance, a weak, pussy-whipped soldier-type who gets walked all over despite supposedly being the best army bad-ass they have and he didn't even have the decency to die in the end.

Add to that a really lame anti-hero who killed his wife and kids because he got a little upset one time that's used as a get-out-of-jail-free card at the end just to balance the fact that a crackshot, a crazy hottie with a baseball bat, a sterotypical drunk Aussie with **** boomerangs, the smallest and lamest looking iteration of Killer Croc who pretty much does naff all anyway, and a rather small, unintimidating Japanese girl with a samurai sword girl (it can be done, they should have watched Sin City) and the aforementioned weak-ass army douche had absolutely zero chance against two ancient Egyptian gods with a whole host of actual powers.

It's boring and just terrible storytelling. Worse than Batman V Superman for me.

Spoiler

9.5/10

Edited by Ginko
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Ginko said:

a seriously unlikable commander who kills innocent people working for her and is the true villain of the piece that doesn't get any kind of comeuppance

Spoiler

I thought that was just glossed over. I assumed she would die

21 hours ago, Ginko said:

I don't think District 9 was even that good. 

Chappy was wank.

• Like 1

Â