The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

2 hours ago, wazzap24 said:

If it's half as good as the first, it'll still be better than most films currently out! 

Just for balance - if its half as good as the first it will be a bloody terrible film!

28 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

Just for balance - if its half as good as the first it will be a bloody terrible film!

I wouldn't say terrible, but bang average would be about right.

First one was good. I personally didn't think it was deserving of the hype it got.

I was also one of the apparent minority who didn't think the soundtrack worked.

You are 

the soundtrack to me was important because it set it apart tonally from other marvel films straight away, it starts with the second scene of the film, I think the soundtrack itself is overrated but I can see why they did it, the fact that it's in space and has those visuals will end up being dragged across a bit of marvel, the new Thor for a start, the comedy element is in antman, the gang element is in avengers, the shooty shooty blow everything up final 3rd is in every marvel film, the music is GotG and it works

unlike suicide squad...**** me that was painful, some of the music in that just outright didn't make sense

• Like 1

Don't get me wrong, I loved the soundtrack, in terms of the collection of songs used. I'd listen to it on it's own.

I just didn't think it worked with the setting.

Suicide Squad felt like they'd left someone's iPod on in the editing suite.

Guardians is a bit overrated but it's bloody good all the same. The soundtrack is vital to its tone.

Unfortunately it was so successful is become one of those things people copy.

American Airline's in flight movies are excellent.

I saw "Christine" and "Moonlight" on the way over.

Planning to see "Hacksaw Ridge" and "Manchester by the Sea" at least on the way back tonight.

They've also got stuff like La La Land, Certain Women, Collateral Beauty, Arrival etc

Best selection I've seen. Oh, and they don't edit them like so many other airlines do.

Woo!

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 3

So tonight was the final week of the Hypnotica season of film they've been showing in the gallery near work. Tonight's showing was:

Shock Corridor (1963)

Genuinely one of the worst films I've ever seen, but qualifies for 'so bad it's good' status.

I'm not very forgiving of old movies because I'm a spoilt millennial, but this film was just awful. Their grasp of mental health is laughably ignorant, the actor don't so much as chew the scenery as scoff it down, the dialogue is unnatural and cheesy and there are just so many other bonkers things that literally make zero sense.

Still enjoyable from a comedic point of view. There's a scene where the undercover journalist mistakenly walks into the female psych ward and gets confronted by a bunch of inmates. The guy's internal monologue then says 'Oh God... Nymphos!' And he's then mauled by about five women. I like to think the actor wrote that scene himself and strong-armed the director to put it in.

But yeah, truly awful -1/10

Shamalamadingdong confirms sequel to Unbreakable and Split.

After 17 years, M. Night Shyamalan is finally delivering a proper sequel to Unbreakable.

The writer-director announced the news Wednesday on Twitter after months of teasing a new script he's been writing. He revealed the film is called Glass, and that Bruce Willis (David Dunn) and Samuel L. Jackson (Mr. Glass/Elijah Price) will return. Universal will release the film Jan. 18, 2019. 

"It’s taken 17 years but I can finally answer the #1 question I get, 'Are you making a f#&@ing sequel to Unbreakable or what?' " he tweeted. "My new film is the sequel to #Unbreakable AND #Split. It was always my dream to have both films collide in this third film."

• Like 2

the other half unsubtly asked what kind of films I'd yet to see and so listed off random names and titles ( I always find it hard to think of favourites off the cuff ) and yesterday evening I came home to a volume of Hitchcock films and Bridge on the River Kwai. The latter one I only mentioned as it  was the one Ron Swanson from Parks and Rec tucks into with whisky and steak, so I shall dutifully have to follow suit. I have plenty of whisky, thankfully. 

the hitchcock ones were: Saboteur, Shadow of a Doubt, Rope, Rear Window, Psycho, The Trouble With Harry and The Man Who Knew Too Much. I've seen Rope, Psycho and Rear Window - three classics - so looking forward to the others. :thumb: 

5 hours ago, Designer1 said:

His best film for me.

Agreed. The final act of that film has spectacular atmosphere and cinematography. He manages to create scenes that have genuine, gritty atmosphere but also contain shots that could have been ripped from a comic.

Such a good and clever take on a comic book story. Just remembering some of the shots, behind Willis in the poncho in the rain in the dark... That's a **** good movie.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

American Airline's in flight movies are excellent.

I saw "Christine" and "Moonlight" on the way over.

Planning to see "Hacksaw Ridge" and "Manchester by the Sea" at least on the way back tonight.

They've also got stuff like La La Land, Certain Women, Collateral Beauty, Arrival etc

Best selection I've seen. Oh, and they don't edit them like so many other airlines do.

Woo!

I noticed this with UA and Lufthansa on my recent trip too. The selection was massive and loads of new, good movies. 

Maybe they've all upped their game? 

I'd still rather have a bit more legroom and a comfier seat though! 

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

Agreed. The final act of that film has spectacular atmosphere and cinematography. He manages to create scenes that have genuine, gritty atmosphere but also contain shots that could have been ripped from a comic.

Such a good and clever take on a comic book story. Just remembering some of the shots, behind Willis in the poncho in the rain in the dark... That's a **** good movie.

I was thinking about that when I read your first sentence. As others have already said, its my favourite film from Shyamalan.

Â