The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

25 minutes ago, darrenm said:

Yeah same as others have said 

I thought the visuals were breathtaking in IMAX though.

@Chindie which Pratt scene do you mean?

It is fantastic looking in IMAX.

The scene I meant is

Spoiler

The moment he instantly reacts to learning about the manner of his mother's death. No build up, no thought, straight to the guns and rage. Great moment imo and marks him out as a little different to the usual hero. He's not a Cap style paragon of virtue.

Great character moment and one that builds on the emotion of the movie to a release.

• Like 1

Just watched Don't Breathe a pretty good low budget home invasion movie where the tables are turned when 3 thieves break into a blind man's house.

Its fairly paint by numbers, but for a couple of plot twists which add to it. 

Not a bad watch by any means.

Edited by theboyangel
  • Like 1

Sounds like the "humour" in GOTG2 is exactly the kind of "humour" that helps ruin some of these films.

Make every single line a joke and hopefully some of it is funny.

"Margin Call" on tonight. It's a film I stumbled across late one night having never heard of the film before and found myself unexpectedly caught up in. 

It's about the market crash. Really good cast. If you haven't seen it, I'd recommend stumbling across it tonight.

Watched arrival the other night. Seems to be a real marmite film but I loved it. Also saw "get out" at the cinema which I really enjoyed but felt it was kinda hurried at the explanation as to what's going on. 

On 4/30/2017 at 23:32, Stevo985 said:

Sounds like the "humour" in GOTG2 is exactly the kind of "humour" that helps ruin some of these films.

Make every single line a joke and hopefully some of it is funny.

i didnt think so, its part of the characters, drax is maybe slightly overdone but the vast majority of it is his personality, same with star lords cheese in parts and rocket being as asshole, id say most of it works

the film has some problems but i didnt think the humour was one of them, if anything i just found it a bit boring in the middle, there are loads of story arcs going on but only a few of them worked for me, overall i thought it was just a bit predictable but i dont necessarily agree with some of the reviews that say its because the 1st one was new to pretty much everyone and this one cant recapture it, no its because the writing in this one is pretty shallow and driven by the characters who's various traits are glaringly obvious to see

id say the biggest issue for me personally was ego nor the gold woman hit the mark

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

i didnt think so, its part of the characters, drax is maybe slightly overdone but the vast majority of it is his personality, same with star lords cheese in parts and rocket being as asshole, id say most of it works

the film has some problems but i didnt think the humour was one of them, if anything i just found it a bit boring in the middle, there are loads of story arcs going on but only a few of them worked for me, overall i thought it was just a bit predictable but i dont necessarily agree with some of the reviews that say its because the 1st one was new to pretty much everyone and this one cant recapture it, no its because the writing in this one is pretty shallow and driven by the characters who's various traits are glaringly obvious to see

id say the biggest issue for me personally was ego nor the gold woman hit the mark

Cool.

I'm looking forward to seeing it anyway. Would have seen it yesterday but the other half didn't fancy it.

1 minute ago, PieFacE said:

Currently watching The Void. Not really sure why I'm still watching it. **** terrible. 

Loved that movie.

Carpenter meets Lovecraft.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Loved that movie.

Carpenter meets Lovecraft.

No way! I didn't get it, though I've never really liked 80s horror,  so a throw back film wasn't for me! 

My top ten

Worst. Films. Ever.

10. 2012. Good special effects, but the 12 main characters have a way too overly coincidental way of bumping into each other, that it is just ridiculous. It is just the style of Emmerich. Screw plot and likeable characters, just focus on special effects.

9. Texas Chainsaw Massacre The Beginnings. A so so horror movie for most of the movie, until the ending. A 7 plus foot tall guy hiding in the back seat with a chainsaw, unnoticed, able to start a chainsaw without pulling on the cord, and able to manoeuvre it to jam it through the driver's seat. He has the ability to shrink down to 4 foot 2 as well?

8. Ghostbusters (2017) I loved the original, and because of the panning it got, I went in with low expectations. I really wanted to give it a chance, because it was Ghostbusters, and I didn't care who was cast in it. More cringy than funny, as the cast just hammed their way through, without even really trying to be funny. Adolescence destroyed. Screw you, movie!

7. Down With Love. It was 2003. I took my girlfriend to see Xmen 2 with me, and we both enjoyed it. Because we went to see my movie, I had to take her to see a movie of her choice. This was her choice. Something about Bridget Jones trying to shag Obi Wan Kenobi or something, I don't care. I never want to be in  that situation again. I would rather paint my scrotum with honey and pour ants down my pants. We are no longer together.

6. House of 1000 Corpses. I like Rob Zombie, I like his music. However this pile of crap that gratuitously glorifies the bad guys made me want to punch Rob Zombie in his stupid hot model eating face.

5. Independence Day Resurgence. Same as 2012. good special effects, but characters you end up hating so much, I ended up cheering for the aliens and hoping they would blow up this stupid planet.

4. Kill Squad. American chop socky that was just stupid. Every idiot, no matter who, is a fifth dan black belt. The plot was so cheesy, it would have been better served as a pizza.

3. Battle Royale 2. I liked the first Battle Royale, even though the story of a bunch of people have to reluctantly kill everyone else until they are the lone survivor, has been done to death. The second was ridiculous, and the plot seemed intent on making the movie as unwatchable as possible. Maji de?

2. House of the Dead. Uwe Boll's opus. You know it is bad when the plot for the game is Oscar material compared to the movie's. Yes, Uwe Boll. I will fight you.

1. Day of the Dead. The original George Romero version was an under rated movie, that was actually quite enjoyable. The remake, where do I start how bad this pile of crap is? A vegetarian zombie? Bwahahahahahayouidiots! They decided to trick Ving Rhames to appear in this , as he did a fine job in the remake of Dawn of the Dead, and that had fast zombies too. And they can climb and stick to walls. Has absolutely zero in common with the original.  This movie is just plain bad.

2 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

Day of the dead remake and House of 1000 corpses are **** great?!

I will admit it. You have me so confused.

Did you misread my post in a massive way, or are you a big fan of those movies?

13 hours ago, PieFacE said:

Currently watching The Void. Not really sure why I'm still watching it. **** terrible. 

Yes, some good beasties but seemed to have a void in place of a coherent plot.

Not sure what my worst film is but I once watched The Postman at New St Odeon... and sat through all 3 hours of it. 

i'm glad I've recovered from that period of my life.... I was consuming a lot of sherbert dib dabs and drinking a lot of Smirnoff Mule. Bad times. 

Â