The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

10 minutes ago, mightysasquatch said:

Absolutely detest her, everything about her makes me angry. I especially hate how she talks, as in her mouth....I know that's rather specific but even so.

My wife bates her more than I do and strangely hates her mouth too. I never noticed it until she pointed it out but she spends about 90% of every film with her mouth hanging wide open.

I just went looking for a clip to advertise this and found a Guardian article and Facebook page dedicated to it.

I rather like Keira Knightley. Not seen "never let me go" but I think she was fine in "pride & prejudice", "seeking a friend for the end of the world" and even better in "Atonement".

Heard good things about "Begin again" too.

Going back to the Gyllenhaal love fest, yep fantastic actor. Watched "Prisoners" the other night, another impressive turn from him, complete with added twitchy blinkiness. 

2 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

My wife bates her more than I do and strangely hates her mouth too. I never noticed it until she pointed it out but she spends about 90% of every film with her mouth hanging wide open.

I just went looking for a clip to advertise this and found a Guardian article and Facebook page dedicated to it.

Haha, yeah her mouth has always bothered me too. The way her teeth meet as she speaks...very annoying for some reason. Still, she's cute as ****.

Edited by maqroll

In the right role, Knightley is fine. Otherwise, she usually lives up to the description Mark Kermode gave her (in conjunction with Orlando Bloom) in one of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies - 'So wooden its like watching 2 chairs mating'.

She has a decent collection of performances to her name now to be honest.

Good in Atonement and The Jacket (first thing I saw her in where I started to see some real ability)

Excellent in The Duchess (her best role so far for me), Never Let Me Go and Seeking a Friend to the End of the World.

Awful in a Dangerous Method though, and the less said about those bloody pirate films the better.

highlight of Batman vs Superman was easily the LEGO Batman trailer

absolute garbage films and some of characters are either not used or just pathetic plus Superman is far from a fun character

She has a decent collection of performances to her name now to be honest.

Good in Atonement and The Jacket (first thing I saw her in where I started to see some real ability)

Excellent in The Duchess (her best role so far for me), Never Let Me Go and Seeking a Friend to the End of the World.

Awful in a Dangerous Method though, and the less said about those bloody pirate films the better.

Not to mention at her prettiest in Love Actually :wub:

Having a bit of a Snyder evening in preparation for BvS tomorrow. Man of Steel and the Watchmen Directors Cut.

I don't hate MoS like some do. It's a decent movie if completely overblown by the end, and it's take on Superman is a bit dour for a character who is basically a personification of hope, but it has a decent if very thin storyline and good performances and action. It does the portrayal of Superman's (and others) abilities exceptionally well The rewatch has also revealed that I find supporting baddie Faora curiously attractive... 

Watchmen remains Snyder's best I think. It nails everything about the look and style of the graphic novel, and has some brilliant casting and a clever adaptation of the finale which simply wouldn't work on screen. Again the action is great. You do get the idea that a lot of the subtlety of the comic is missing though, it really does look like the film was developed just using the pages as a storyboard to work from and it misses some of the layers of satire and commentary in the process. But it genuinely is a good movie, surprisingly.

I see BvS tomorrow and my expectation, having never been particularly high, is at rock bottom. With that in mind, if it looks nice and gas some good action, I'll be cautiously happy with it. I'm concerned it goes even further away from the characters than MoS did, and also that is going to be a rushed blancmange of a film, but give me striking images and some good action and I'll take it....

Just got back from 10 Cloverfield Lane. Hmm. Really not sure what to make of it... It was very tense and I enjoyed parts of it. Goodman was excellent. Overall, though, I was pretty disappointed. 

Spoiler

I thought they made it too obvious from the start that Goodman's character was actually a nutter. There was virtually no ambiguity. 

As for making a hazmat suit out of a shower curtain and there being a guide to making your own gas mask lying around? **** off.

As for the ending... Well that was, quite frankly, shit. I'd heard in the reviews that it was silly but given the association with Cloverfield, I'd actually been hoping for something a bit 'out there'. What actually happened was just complete rubbish IMO and one of the lamest explanations that they could've come up with. No apparent link to Cloverfield, unless the monster was actually an alien. 

Mary Elizabeth Winstead is strangely attractive, though. 

If you're after a pretty looking film with some decent action then Batman V Superman delivers, but the messy plot, awful dialogue, crappy and unnecessary subplots and weird take on characters was too much to ignore for me. Worse than Man of Steel.

Edited by Ginko

Thought BvS had some decent parts but it mostly wasn't a good film.

A combination of being too desperate to catch up with Marvel, and it being actually impossible to make anything with Superman in it anything but boring means I don't think there's much hope for them in the long run.

The Sixth Sense (1999)

I really enjoyed watching this film .I thought Bruce Willis was great in it.As far as i can recall i can only ever recall him playing the hard man role in films,so i was surprised to see  him play in this kind of role .Would recommend watching 8/10 

Â