The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Cool. I bet it'll be full of really hilarious jokes, especially if they're specifically going back to shoehorn more in :D

Edited by Stevo985

24 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Cool. I bet it'll be full of really hilarious jokes, especially if they're specifically going back to shoehorn more in :D

You should watch BvS, barely any jokes in that ;)

3 minutes ago, Chindie said:

You should watch BvS, barely any jokes in that ;)

I'd certainly rather that than the "jokes" that are usually in comic book films.

The ideal scenario would be that they actually make them funny though. That would be excellent.

I just watched five minutes of Guardians of the Galaxy and turned it off once yer man started dancing to some vintage beats from what looked like mixtape in a walkman.

Nope.

Somewhat hypocritically I did watch and enjoy the vintage-loving X-Men: Days of Future Past, though I found the ending a bit shite.

I've decided that the best time for comic book films is first thing in the morning while you are writing dour emails.

Edited by CarewsEyebrowDesigner

My kids have a copy of the 'mixtape' from Guardians of the Galaxy in my car.

Other than the track 'cherry bomb' it's truly grim. 

On a lighter note, I watched the film 'Starred Up' on film 4 last night. An excellent piece of work. Looked to be quite a realistic portrayal of life inside prison for some people. It hinted at what life people have had outside that puts them inside. But it's not preachy or clever. A cast completely unknown to me, but then I don't get out much. The actor that played the father character, Neville Love, was exceptional. Acted with every muscle in his body, a man mentally and physically tied up in knots.

It put me a little bit in mind of Tyrannosaur, not instantly obviously similar stories, but similar atmosphere.

• Like 1

How good is Deadpool btw? Just watched it last night. I was worried all the breaking of the fourth wall and jokes would get a bit too much but they managed to find the right balance imo.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

My kids have a copy of the 'mixtape' from Guardians of the Galaxy in my car.

Other than the track 'cherry bomb' it's truly grim. 

I think it's an excellent soundtrack in terms of the music on there. I'd listen to it in isolation.

But I maintain I really didn't think it worked with the setting of the film.

Forced, would be the word I'd use.

47 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

On a lighter note, I watched the film 'Starred Up' on film 4 last night. An excellent piece of work. Looked to be quite a realistic portrayal of life inside prison for some people. It hinted at what life people have had outside that puts them inside. But it's not preachy or clever. A cast completely unknown to me, but then I don't get out much. The actor that played the father character, Neville Love, was exceptional. Acted with every muscle in his body, a man mentally and physically tied up in knots.

It put me a little bit in mind of Tyrannosaur, not instantly obviously similar stories, but similar atmosphere.

Excellent film. The great Ben Mendelsohn played the father, and I agree about his performance. Although I'm yet to see him turn in a bad showing in a film so far, he's very much the complete 'character' actor for me.

As for O'Connell, he's one of the brightest up and coming stars at the moment and is only going to get better imo (certainly come a long way since This is England). He has a really raw, natural talent and the sort of gravitas that is harder to find in the younger actors.

Recommend watching him in '71 if you haven't already seen it Chris.

• Like 2

@Stevo985 The Pina Colada song. Case. Closed.

@Designer1 Now that's interesting, he was in This Is England. That was also something I enjoyed, but I'll confess I'm no film buff and would struggle to retain an actors name to look up in other stuff. But yes, based on those two showings, I'll seek out '71. cheers.

O'Connell is one of those actors that I never recognised. 

Everytime I see something with him in I'm surprised to see it's him when the credits roll or someone tells me.

It seems obvious after, but for some reason he slips under the radar, despite the fact he's really good.

Unbroken wasn't amazing, but he was very good in it.

But that's a prime example of what I said above.

I saw that whole film and thought how good the lead actor was, without realising who it is.

2 hours ago, CarewsEyebrowDesigner said:

I just watched five minutes of Guardians of the Galaxy and turned it off once yer man started dancing to some vintage beats from what looked like mixtape in a walkman.

Nope.

I would love to read your reaction to the confrontation with the Big Bad at the end

:crylaugh:

1 minute ago, hogso said:

I would love to read your reaction to the confrontation with the Big Bad at the end

:crylaugh:

Worst part of the film.

In fact, up there with the worst part of any film I've seen in recent times, and a prime example of my issue with comic book film "humour".

I enjoyed Guardians of the Galaxy after having had it recommended to me in this thread.  My biggest problem with it was Rocket, that stupid raccoon.  Drax (Dave Bautista) OTOH was probably the funniest character :)EDIT : Oh and Groot :) 

Bautista being decent as Drax (who is a fairly crap character that they changed a fair bit for the movie in fairness) was one of the revelations in GOTG. Then again I like pretty much everything about that movie to the extent I don't even care about the massive problems with the villain. Genuinely funny throughout. The prison escape, the slapstick chase at the start, pretty much every line of Drax dialogue... Great.

I'm not sure it'll work as well in the sequel though. Especially as it seems there's some stunt casting going on, and they need to add a bunch of characters, a number of which are absolutely dreadful. 

• Like 3

Â