The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

4 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Anyone care to suggest a film to watch on Netflix that is not in the Police Academy series.

Is "Never Let Me Go" on Netflix?  If so, that.

14 minutes ago, BOF said:

Is "Never Let Me Go" on Netflix?  If so, that.

Just googled it and the blurb makes it sounds like something my wife would enjoy more than I would.

Plus I can't stand Keira Knightley.

1 minute ago, Rds1983 said:

Just googled it and the blurb makes it sounds like something my wife would enjoy more than I would.

Plus I can't stand Keira Knightley.

I found it to be a really interesting concept.  I think I probably benefitted from not reading anything about it beforehand.  I stumbled across it, and while I initially watched it "because it had Keira Knightley in it", it is far from her typical role and she's not the star.  It doesn't play to her looks at all.  Andrew Garfield, Carey Mulligan and Keira Knightley are all very good in it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Have you tried the Weekend at Bernies series?

Didn't realise they were on Netflix? Seen the first and it is good but heard very bad things about the second.

2 hours ago, BOF said:

I found it to be a really interesting concept.  I think I probably benefitted from not reading anything about it beforehand.  I stumbled across it, and while I initially watched it "because it had Keira Knightley in it", it is far from her typical role and she's not the star.  It doesn't play to her looks at all.  Andrew Garfield, Carey Mulligan and Keira Knightley are all very good in it.

Yes enjoyed that film

3 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

Anyone care to suggest a film to watch on Netflix that is not in the Police Academy series.

:lol:

I started reading this, and my first thought was, "Ooh good a chance for me to say Police Aca...Oh". 

• Like 2

They'll force it through unless it's a complete bomb. This film will make money, but Warner want it to be doing Avengers money and it probably won't on the back of the bad word of mouth.

Moreover, Suicide Squad is basically done, filming is done on the Wonder Woman movie, preproduction on Justice League is done and they are just starting filming... I think they double down and go for it, although I wager they change tact and possibly bin Snyder at the first opportunity. I also bet the push forward the solo Batman movie.

But I agree entirely, and have said so myself more than once, that they've messed up by trying to rush the set up for the Justice League movie. Marvel spent 10 hours and 5 movies setting up the Avengers, introducing characters a lot of people are unfamiliar with and making then likable established faces. WB haven't done anything approaching that and instead have just given cameos to the wider Justice League in 1 film that was already overstuffed and contains a central plotline that everyone who hasn't read a comic doesn't understand. To your man on the street Batman can't beat Superman. To a comic geek he can and usually does.

And even then they appear to have messed up - I don't like  Superman as a character much, but even I know he's basically a boy scout, an embodiment of good and light, even when he's perhaps acting in the wrong. Every scene in this film appears to make him out to be a moody word removed. Even Frank Miller didn't do that!

Filming isnt done on Wonder Woman btw.

Justice league begins in may and the rumours of zack being close to being sacked off is a load of bull.

Batman vs Superman was good imo, i enjoyed it. Im no comic book geek though so i enjoyed it for a stand alone film.

There are a couple of suprises in there which i wont detail.

Overall though i thought it was good all round. The plot does get abit iffy at some points but again, im no comic book geek.

Gal Gadot makes a great wonder woman, i think her and affleck were the standout performers.

17 minutes ago, YGabbana said:

Filming isnt done on Wonder Woman btw.

Justice league begins in may and the rumours of zack being close to being sacked off is a load of bull.

Yes reading earlier Wonder Woman is not quite done filming but it isn't far off.

When I say they'll look to bin Snyder at the first opportunity I'm not saying they'll get rid of him on Justice League, it would take BvS being an absolutely awful box office performer, which it just won't be, to do that at this point. What I mean is they might say goodbye post Justice League, and shy away from Snyder being the DCEU 'visionary' he's been so far. DC doesn't have a Fiege overlooking the whole thing like Marvel does, with (originally) Whedon having a big influence on things in the wider universe. WB and DC just have Snyder kinda doing both things and it's not really working (although it looks like Goyer dropped the ball big time as well this time) already. 

That's an excellent and pretty harrowing film.

Must watch that again.

19 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

Gone Baby Gone

Watched it the other night, Very good. Few years old but had gone under my radar

• Like 2

Friend dragged me to a double bill of Man of Steel followed by Batman Vs Superman last night. Never again.

I am a comic book fan but I'm also a bit of a film nerd and Batman Vs Superman is a load of balls.

It pretty much played out how lots of people expected. All style and no heart. It's a painfully unsubtle attempt at playing catch up to Marvel in establishing the Justice League franchise as quickly as possible and there's just far too much going on that its a massive, unfocused mess.

Wonder Woman is pointless, Lex Luthor has shades of the Joker which doesn't work, and I like Eisenberg but his iteration of the character is just annoying. It's all far too rushed and Doomsday is ridiculous. It reminded me of what Spider-Man 3 did with Venom; a rush job at the end of the film which isn't even close to doing the character justice.

There's a scene where they attempt at establishing other Justice League members which is just jarring to the rest of the film and some truly awful dialogue. Jeremy Iron's Alfred has some atrocious lines in particular.

All spectacle and no substance, typical of Snyder - 5/10 at a push. 

And finally (and this is a spoiler so you have been warned)...

Spoiler

Batman does not use guns and he DEFINITELY does not kill people! He must have killed 20 guys in that film if not more. And the scene where he gets the vision of what might come to pass is so out of place it's ridiculous. Okay I'm done.

Edited by Ginko

Â