The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

There's a moment in Batman V Superman that may or may not be a dream sequence (the film establishes that could be either), that confuses the **** out of everyone and doesn't add anything to the movie at all.

Turns out, the reason for that was they just decided to shove it in after the script was finished because they thought it would be clever and cool. Somehow.

Also they've already released a deleted scene that does more set up for things to come that is so obscure is not really even a spoiler, but strangely actually makes the very end of the movie make more sense. As currently it makes no sense at all.

How no-one sat in the editing suite and said 'Zach, I don't think this cut actually makes much sense, and is a bit of a mess really mate', I have no idea. That video above is 45 seconds long. It could be even shorter. But it makes the final minute make sense. How isn't it in the movie?

Rumour has it that scene will make the suicide squad make a bit more sense too...

The thing with the knightmare scene in BvS is like I said before IMO the choreography in it is shite and as a fight sequence it doesn't work, then all the stuff way off in the future with villains nobody knows of doesn't work, shite CGI demons don't work, the follow up scene with a character none of us have seen before in a guise that the majority of us aren't familiar with muttering something that's very hard to make out doesn't work

But the imagery of superman being like a right wing god with men following him and him being a force for evil and batman fearing that future...that's something that works! Not only that but it's not even that hard, why they layered it with everything else is beyond me

I'll be surprised if that plays into Suicide Squad with any depth but we'll see...

The Knightmare scene is odd. There's no reason why it can't work on paper. The problem is they do it really badly, on every level. It's very disorientating in the movie. It takes a minute to realise its a dream because of how abrupt it is. And they get caught at cross purposes with it. You can absolutely use the dream sequence of a world gone to shit with Superman as some all powerful dictator to show Bruce's fears. It's a bit on the nose but it works. The problem comes that they try to do that, but also try to make it like a premonition. There are various references to a future of the series (it's obvious that this is what they want to threaten the world with being post Justice League) so you've muddied the water - it's an embodiment of Bruce's fears and it's a nod to things that are actually coming, it doesn't make any sense to have references to the big bad in Bruce's dream about being scared of Superman.

Secondly, and more importantly, even if you clean up the dream, remove the premonition element, make it a more natural and obvious dream sequence, the movie doesn't need it at that point. You do that 20 minutes into the film, cementing Bruce's mindset of Superman being a dictator waiting to happen, having laid some more careful foundations of his distrust. Cinematically it's more satisfying. What we actually get, is an hour of setting up Bruce as being distrustful and ultimately hating Superman. The opening, which is really good, if too blunt on the 9/11 imagery, does all of your set up. You absolutely understand immediately Bruce's motivation. You need no further elaboration. You've got it the moment Bruce glances up to the sky and you see his anger at what's happened. After that you don't need to develop it, and you certainly don't need dream to drive it home. But they do anyway.

The second one is just silly. As I said they've admitted they chucked it into the finished script as a 'cool, clever moment'. It's neither. It's stupid, confusing, and only acts a set up. Awful.

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

The rumour I saw was that the character in the deleted scene is a darkseid general and the next couple of films will see them starting to come over to try and build up to the JL films

Yeah the character is apparently Steppenwolf. It's hard to take that name seriously given the band but I'll go with it. I've looked up that character, as my deeper DC lore is hopeless, and that thing looks nothing like him. But fine. He is one of Darkseid's posse and I suppose they do need to set up these villains as Justice League 1 is on the horizon and they don't have many movies before then to do the leg work - although rumour has it the first Justice League movie is just Batman going on a quest to bring together the team, so they could do the donkey work there as well.

We don't know who the villain in Suicide Squad is so maybe that's one of them. But from I know, Darkseid's crew are supposed to be pretty much Superman level creatures, in which case the Suicide Squad shouldn't be able to defeat it. My guess is at best, if it does tie in to the wider universe villain, it's more that Darkseid has something to do with the creation of whatever it is the Suicide Squad fight.

It's a mess. I genuinely can't believe they didn't realise this was going to be as much of a mess as it is.

How much are they genuinely trying to satisfy the comic book fans though, versus just throwing together some extraordinarily profitable films?  These things are a licence to print money (as BvS has shown) and I wouldn't be at all surprised if they didn't give a flying fiddlers how badly it was all thrown together from a consistency point of view.

20 minutes ago, BOF said:

How much are they genuinely trying to satisfy the comic book fans though, versus just throwing together some extraordinarily profitable films?  These things are a licence to print money (as BvS has shown) and I wouldn't be at all surprised if they didn't give a flying fiddlers how badly it was all thrown together from a consistency point of view.

I genuinely think WB want to satisfy fans, but the problem is they are rushing to get to their version of the Avengers. The Marvel idea only really worked because they spent 4 years establishing it. WB want to skip all that and get to the big event so BvS is full of random bits of wider universe stuff (I'm not joking when I say the movie literally stops in the final hour to show us all the other characters we're going to have in the Justice League...). The movie has a moment which essentially sets up the future villain Marvel will have literally spent the best part of 10 years setting up the equivalent to.

The reason I think they want to satisfy (and develop) fans is that these movies are only a licence to print money when audiences buy into them. BVS made a shit ton of money over the weekend but it also had the biggest drop off in takings between Friday and Sunday of any superhero movie ever, even bigger than absolute car crash Fantastic 4 last year. Projected takings for BVS after that actually has it losing money (just) in cinemas over it's run after that. It'll turn a profit on home media, but WB wanted (and needed, really) this to be a billion dollar movie. It's exceptionally unlikely to be now. And that's because it isn't very good, on any level. Say what you will about Marvel, even their bad movies, even if you hate superhero movies, work and are well made and solid. Iron Man 2 is rubbish, but it's a better movie than BVS on a fundamental level.

Edited by Chindie
Spelling, clarity
  • Like 1

Have to say I enjoyed B vs S. Yes it has a lot of flaws and plot holes but I think it's a far better film than the avengers.

i know it's not a popular opinion but the avengers , after you get over the spectacle in it, is a poor enough film which ruins Loki as a threat and neutralizes any sense of dread with a witty one liner.

Plus batman kicks ass.

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Yes, on the merchandise, toys etc they've described that batman get up as "knightmare batman"

Is Treguard in it then?  Beause if so I might change my policy on actually going to watch this.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, jon_c said:

Is Treguard in it then?  Beause if so I might change my policy on actually going to watch this.

Sadly not, it would have improved the movie.

The Knightmare thing ties to a long running thing in the Batman world of never missing an opportunity to use the word 'Knight'.

Batman v Superman is the best example of brain numbing out of any film I have seen. Not only is it annoyingly loud, but I was so insanely bored and tired of all the stupid shit that kept happening in every scene—from the small stuff to the big stuff (like Superman posing in slo-mo in every example of need-to-move-quickly peril—to him and Batman behaving like total words removed through the whole film—literally nothing makes any sense—to the WTF concept that anyone in their right minds thought that this shit is what people want to watch in a superhero film—or any kind of film, in fact). 

For the scale of **** up its source material so badly and in such a meat-headed way, this is one of the shittest films I have ever seen. The ONLY entertaining part happens when they stop the contrived bullshit fight between Batman and Superman and they start working together—so the last 15ish minutes before the similarly dour and shit ending. 

Zach Snyder is an idiot. He's pieced together some shots into a mess of a film. 

Edited by praisedmambo
  • Like 1

WB don't have a clue what they're doing. Suicide Squad, which by all accounts is meant to be a dark comedy (and has been since the get go), is going through reshoots to make it funnier, seemingly as a reaction to the fact BvS was roundly criticised for being joyless.

Â