The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

18 hours ago, Rob182 said:

I watched The Force Awakens again last night. Third viewing. I enjoyed it almost as much as the first two times.

I'd avoided a lot of the trivia stuff when the film came out, so I didn't realise until last night that the Stormtrooper that Rey does a Jedi mind trick on was Daniel Craig.

Apparently one of the stormtroopers that do a runner when Ren has one of his rage fits, is Kevin Smith.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, jon_c said:

Apparently one of the stormtroopers that do a runner when Ren has one of his rage fits, is Kevin Smith.

Isn't he a little fat to be a stormtrooper? 

• Like 2

Watched this for the first time since I saw it when it was new. 7/10.

Some good acting and the toy bear is great! Last act is a bit too much but overall, I like it

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQWS725letccseO4FIK-LO

BvS

It's a car crash, not only does it have the near impossible job of trying to cram in everything that the studio wants / needs (which doesn't work) it has a director spunking all over it trying to tick every single box in his portfolio in one film, he uses every technique known to man (which doesn't work) the writing is a mess, LL is a horribly written character, a huge portion of the film just feels forced and unfortunately now does the whole universe, the end is pointless because it's simply not believable, the acting if you give cavill the benefit of the doubt and assume he's playing superman as wooden as possible because that's how the writers want him is ok at best (he ain't no James Bond that's for sure) the fight choreography in the knightmare scene is laughably bad, even the music for Wonder Woman and the others when the guitar kicks in was pissing me off...even hans zimmer is shit in this film

I think affleck as batman is the single redeeming feature

What was happening was the ritual death and desecration of any remaining life in the Terminator franchise. Awful film. Emilia Clarke is a hopeless actor and absolutely nothing like Sarah Connor in any facet. Her arrival firing the pistol with the gun bouncing around in her hand and her shutting her eyes was ridiculous for an apparently trained badass character.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

BvS

It's a car crash, not only does it have the near impossible job of trying to cram in everything that the studio wants / needs (which doesn't work) it has a director spunking all over it trying to tick every single box in his portfolio in one film, he uses every technique known to man (which doesn't work) the writing is a mess, LL is a horribly written character, a huge portion of the film just feels forced and unfortunately now does the whole universe, the end is pointless because it's simply not believable, the acting if you give cavill the benefit of the doubt and assume he's playing superman as wooden as possible because that's how the writers want him is ok at best (he ain't no James Bond that's for sure) the fight choreography in the knightmare scene is laughably bad, even the music for Wonder Woman and the others when the guitar kicks in was pissing me off...even hans zimmer is shit in this film

I think affleck as batman is the single redeeming feature

Picking up on the ending a minute, I had 2 problems with it. Massive ending spoilers for Batman v Superman follow

Spoiler

The first was that plot development, for me, is something you have to 'earn' as a writer. If you're going to do the Death of Superman plot, it needs the weight of the character to be established, and for the audience to appreciate them. Cavill is barely known as Superman, and isn't universally loved, so the plot feels forced to have an emotional ending (which gets so silly I actually laughed when the coffin was revealed), and I say that as someone who likes Cavill and likes his Kal-El overall. Compare it to Bale's Batman in Dark Knight Rises, we'd had 2 well received movies establishing his version of Batman and the movie had the weight to carry killing him (irrespective of the tacked on bottling it Nolan did right at the end).

Second, the audience doesn't buy the ending. We know where things are going before the movie started, so that ending feels all the more cynical. We know Superman isn't dead. We know there's a Justice League movie coming. The movie even acknowledges how daft this by the final shot straight up showing he isn't dead.

I can see why they did it, and Snyder has also given his own apparent reasons, but it doesn't work. It's too forced, too rushed, and too cynical.

59 minutes ago, troon_villan said:

Just watched Star Wars. Enjoyed it but not enough Jedi action and no proper hero to shout for let's it down slightly.

Say whaaaat?

I actually thought Han Solo had some of the best 'Han Solo' moments and the introductions of Finn and Poe Dameron were pretty good, which bodes well for the next two installments.

As for 'Jedi' action, considering Luke's gone to ground there was still a few lightsabre duels and a bit of magic (some would argue that there was too much 'Force' activity, especially from Rey)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CarewsEyebrowDesigner said:

I need to rewatch Star Wars but I think the biggest problem was the complete lack of originality.

What should be bad guys have this time?

An even bigger death star!

Yes!

Just lazy writing all round.

I kind of agree here CED - Starkiller Base was a bit too much IMO.

However, still loved the film as did my kids!

2 hours ago, Chindie said:

Picking up on the ending a minute, I had 2 problems with it. Massive ending spoilers for Batman v Superman follow

Reveal hidden contents

The first was that plot development, for me, is something you have to 'earn' as a writer. If you're going to do the Death of Superman plot, it needs the weight of the character to be established, and for the audience to appreciate them. Cavill is barely known as Superman, and isn't universally loved, so the plot feels forced to have an emotional ending (which gets so silly I actually laughed when the coffin was revealed), and I say that as someone who likes Cavill and likes his Kal-El overall. Compare it to Bale's Batman in Dark Knight Rises, we'd had 2 well received movies establishing his version of Batman and the movie had the weight to carry killing him (irrespective of the tacked on bottling it Nolan did right at the end).

Second, the audience doesn't buy the ending. We know where things are going before the movie started, so that ending feels all the more cynical. We know Superman isn't dead. We know there's a Justice League movie coming. The movie even acknowledges how daft this by the final shot straight up showing he isn't dead.

I can see why they did it, and Snyder has also given his own apparent reasons, but it doesn't work. It's too forced, too rushed, and too cynical.

completely agree

Spoiler

when they gave him the full yank military send off i said "**** off" out loud and laughed, i think wonder woman mentions something about it to wayne and he says "they didnt know what else to do"

it might be afflecks last line in the film, certainly a fitting one...

16 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

completely agree

Reveal hidden contents

when they gave him the full yank military send off i said "**** off" out loud and laughed, i think wonder woman mentions something about it to wayne and he says "they didnt know what else to do"

it might be afflecks last line in the film, certainly a fitting one...

Yep, completely same reaction here. When that scene started I was thinking 'surely not?!' and as the camera panned up to that reveal I was shaking my head in disbelief and turned to my girlfriend and said 'come on, really!?' laughing and she was doing the same thing. It's absurd.

1 hour ago, sharkyvilla said:

I'm trying to watch Avengers Assemble, I'm afraid I'm never going to get into the comic book movies lark.

Agreed it's just predictable nonsense  ...but just sit back and admire Scarlett's arse , the director seemed to focus on it more times than was necessary ... 

• Like 2

Watched Daddy's Home last night, being in the mood for something light that could hopefully raise a couple of laughs but holy shit, it was terrible. So, so bad I almost can't get my head around how it was released. It just seemed like not a single person involved could be remotely arsed. Thomas Haden Church was particularly awful. His face didn't move once (made harder to swallow as Sideways is one of my favourite films). I was a Ferrell fan based on Anchorman, Old School, Step Brothers etc. and his Funny or Die stuff but after this and Get Hard, I've given up on him. I wasn't expecting greatness but I wasn't expecting such a massive steaming pile of shit. 

Oh and I don't know if it was just me, but it seemed like the lone black character was shoehorned into the movie to avoid accusations of racism, but the way he was portrayed had pretty much the opposite effect... 

10 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Agreed it's just predictable nonsense  ...but just sit back and admire Scarlett's arse , the director seemed to focus on it more times than was necessary ... 

It's always necessary.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

I'm trying to watch Avengers Assemble, I'm afraid I'm never going to get into the comic book movies lark.

That's the best Comic book film there is (I dont' count the Nolan Batman films which are better by a mile) so if you don't like that one you've got no chance :)

but I do agree even that movie isn't amazing. Good, but completely overrated.

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

That's the best Comic book film there is (I dont' count the Nolan Batman films which are better by a mile) so if you don't like that one you've got no chance :)

but I do agree even that movie isn't amazing. Good, but completely overrated.

Apart from GotG of course ;)

• Like 2

Â