The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Snyder does images. He knows how to create striking scenes and tableaus, but his films are always hamstrung by something. Watchmen is his best and that's largely because that's a film where all you have to do is copy each frame of the graphic novel and link them together and you'll get something good out of it. And even then you got the impression he didn't write understand the subtleties of Watchmen.

It's not a shock that BvS is going to be a bit of mess. It's too long and they're using it as the foundation of a DC Universe, so it's doing a lot of lifting on some really daft crap. Still, my tickets are booked and if it does no more than give me some striking images and some good action I'll call it a success.

Don't think Marvel have much to worry about - DC are obsessed with bridging and dark and it doesn't really work with most of their top line characters. Meanwhile Marvel make fun bright movies, even when the subject matter goes darker.

10 Cloverfield tonight , once we'd waded through loads of poxy super hero trailers .... Enough I say , make some original film

So Cloverfield , everything had a neon sign of where it was going and then it didn't , it was slowly building up to something dramatic something clever ..... And then they blew it  and ruined the whole film with the last 10 minutes 

shame really

Goodman was good , where did that weight gain come from though ? And Winstead I wouldn't mind be locked  in a basement with either 

I've seen two trailers for Batman vs Superman.

One of them made it look REALLY good, and one of them made it look **** dreadful.

Now I don't know what to think! BUt my hunch is it's moving away from what made the Nolan Batman films good, which gets a thumbs down from me. I'll still see it though.

Yeah it's a mess by all accounts. Even the positive reviews basically say when its good it's fantastic but the rest of it is a grim humourless car crash.

I liked Man of Steel overall, which is far from perfect and very divisive, but this looks like they've **** up. Too much baggage, silly plot, no humour or lightness. No wonder Warner Bros a month or so back were rumoured to have been tearing up the plans for the DCEU and sacking Snyder off...

My main gripe with the trailers is that Jesse Eisenberg does not come across as a good Lex Luthor. He doesn't give off a sense of power, ferocity or charisma.  His hair also looks awful.

12 minutes ago, Chindie said:

No wonder Warner Bros a month or so back were rumoured to have been tearing up the plans for the DCEU and sacking Snyder off...

If they've dropped the ball with this (which is looking very likely) then I wonder how much future a DCEU will have. This is their two main box office attractions together on screen for the first time and if they can't make that work then where else can they go?

One of the main issues I have is they haven't taken their time and built up a steady body of work in the same way that Marvel did. Instead, they've shot their bolt within two films and I think they'll suffer from it.

8 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

If they've dropped the ball with this (which is looking very likely) then I wonder how much future a DCEU will have. This is their two main box office attractions together on screen for the first time and if they can't make that work then where else can they go?

One of the main issues I have is they haven't taken their time and built up a steady body of work in the same way that Marvel did. Instead, they've shot their bolt within two films and I think they'll suffer from it.

They'll force it through unless it's a complete bomb. This film will make money, but Warner want it to be doing Avengers money and it probably won't on the back of the bad word of mouth.

Moreover, Suicide Squad is basically done, filming is done on the Wonder Woman movie, preproduction on Justice League is done and they are just starting filming... I think they double down and go for it, although I wager they change tact and possibly bin Snyder at the first opportunity. I also bet the push forward the solo Batman movie.

But I agree entirely, and have said so myself more than once, that they've messed up by trying to rush the set up for the Justice League movie. Marvel spent 10 hours and 5 movies setting up the Avengers, introducing characters a lot of people are unfamiliar with and making then likable established faces. WB haven't done anything approaching that and instead have just given cameos to the wider Justice League in 1 film that was already overstuffed and contains a central plotline that everyone who hasn't read a comic doesn't understand. To your man on the street Batman can't beat Superman. To a comic geek he can and usually does.

And even then they appear to have messed up - I don't like  Superman as a character much, but even I know he's basically a boy scout, an embodiment of good and light, even when he's perhaps acting in the wrong. Every scene in this film appears to make him out to be a moody word removed. Even Frank Miller didn't do that!

2 minutes ago, Chindie said:

To your man on the street Batman can't beat Superman.

:wave: It's why I find it all quite silly and won't be going.  Plus, now that I'm hearing it's shite too I'm more relieved that at least I won't be missing a good movie.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BOF said:

:wave: It's why I find it all quite silly and won't be going.  Plus, now that I'm hearing it's shite too I'm more relieved that at least I won't be missing a good movie.

I was thinking of you when I said that actually BOF!

Anyone who is an average film fan who I've chatted to about this movie, the first thing they say is 'Batman loses right? He can't beat Superman'. It's a fundamental problem with it. They've fought loads of times in the comics and yes, Batman usually wins. He's smarter and he's prepared to go beyond what anyone would expect. He's knocked him out with a kryptonite ring, he famously used a threat on Lois' life to overcome him, etc etc etc. He doesn't play fair, Clark is to straight arrow to see it or holds back a little and Batman punishes him.

Importantly though, those fights came after years of establishment in the comics, particularly of Batman being this paranoid ruthless but brilliant thinker. When you've read hundreds of issues where Batman does beat the odds through lateral thinking or knowing the situation more than anyone else, you can see him beating Superman in unexpected and devious ways.

The movies have never done that. And now we have a new Batman and in the space of a single film, with nothing set up that Bruce is this brilliant bastard, we're expecting Joe Public to buy Batman can win. They've done the Miller robot suit thing to try to make it believable, but they've missed seemingly from the trailers that Miller used the suit to basically let Bruce stay in the fight, just, while his plan came together (and ultimately his plan is to win by losing, kinda. He does embarrass Clark first though). 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Chindie said:

I was thinking of you when I said that actually BOF!

Anyone who is an average film fan who I've chatted to about this movie, the first thing they say is 'Batman loses right? He can't beat Superman'. It's a fundamental problem with it. They've fought loads of times in the comics and yes, Batman usually wins. He's smarter and he's prepared to go beyond what anyone would expect. He's knocked him out with a kryptonite ring, he famously used a threat on Lois' life to overcome him, etc etc etc. He doesn't play fair, Clark is to straight arrow to see it or holds back a little and Batman punishes him.

Importantly though, those fights came after years of establishment in the comics, particularly of Batman being this paranoid ruthless but brilliant thinker. When you've read hundreds of issues where Batman does beat the odds through lateral thinking or knowing the situation more than anyone else, you can see him beating Superman in unexpected and devious ways.

The movies have never done that. And now we have a new Batman and in the space of a single film, with nothing set up that Bruce is this brilliant bastard, we're expecting Joe Public to buy Batman can win. They've done the Miller robot suit thing to try to make it believable, but they've missed seemingly from the trailers that Miller used the suit to basically let Bruce stay in the fight, just, while his plan came together (and ultimately his plan is to win by losing, kinda. He does embarrass Clark first though). 

Superman kills Batman with one punch

The long-awaited battle between two titans of justice ended in under a second last night after Superman punched Batman’s head clean off.

The Caped Crusader had decided that Superman was too powerful and he was the man to stop him, and was proven half right.

Eyewitnesses at the scene reported that Superman flew in at something approaching the speed of light whilst Batman arrived at the confrontation in a car, which rather set the tone for the whole thing.

Batman then took his seatbelt off whilst Superman used the time to rescue a cat up a tree, prevent a bank robbery and defeat Mongul, leader of the War World.

Moving at relativistic speeds, Superman then brought the battle to a speedy and sadly inevitable conclusion with a right hook.

“Everyone was expecting it to be maybe close, or Batman to at least present some sort of challenge but with hindsight that probably overly optimistic,” we were told.

“It was like the fight between Muhammed Ali and Joe Bugner, only if Ali was capable of moving at 299,000 km per second. And Joe Bugner’s head didn’t come off.

“Turns out Batman got a big reputation from fighting clowns and couldn’t live up to it when it counted, also like Joe Bugner.”

After the fight, investigations revealed that Batman was actually the heavily built and scarred billionaire Bruce Wayne, which absolutely nobody saw coming.

In a statement, Superman said he regretted killing Batman but blamed it on Earth’s yellow sun enhancing him to the point where it’s difficult not to.

“Now you understand why I think shagging Lois Lane might not be fair on her,” he added.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

reviews ive seen suggest batman is the only good thing about the film

Indeed.

But I've also read they've done him a bit wrong as well. He makes a number of patently stupid decisions apparently. The character never does that. He may make mistakes because he isn't aware of something, but never does something which would logically fail knowingly. He also apparently breaks his rule numerous times.

I think this is a combination of Snyder just not getting the character, like he doesn't get Superman, and also trying to do the Dark Knight Returns style unhinged brutal Batman but messing it up. 

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

He also apparently breaks his rule numerous times

is this like the rule where you don't do a girl with a bigger arse than your own ? or are his rules slightly more trivial ?

Â