Ratings & Reactions: Liverpool v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

164 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/09/23 at 22:59

Really think there are times when playing a high line is suicidal and Liverpool and Newcastle away are 2 of those times, especially when we are relying on Torres and Digne instead of Mings and Moreno. Love Emery but it wasn't that difficult to see that the high line would be exploited again today.

• Like 1

Liverpool are better than us, they were at home, they scored early with a controversial goal and then we lost a key, physical player to injury. I’m not sure who some of you think we are and what our real position in the food chain is. Some people need to grow up and get a grip. 
We are on an upward trajectory. There are still probably 8 teams in this league who have a better squad than us. We have an elite manager who is intent on bridging that gap but it won’t happen overnight. We need to get behind the team and the players and help to make that happen.

• Like 2

Another reality check. Our defence is a worry without Mings and Carlos. The high line is a recipe for disaster in such games and Unai needs to think of a plan B, especially without Mings. The amount of time TAA had to ping balls was infuriating. McGinn anonymous and a lot of abject performances all round. Puzzling lack of fight today.

14 minutes ago, regular_john said:

Being fair to Liverpool, they were excellent from the first whistle and could easily have had 5+. It's hard to take but we were just beaten by a much better team today. Apart from a handful of errors, I don't think we were necessarily bad, just that Liverpool were very good.

Having said that, Torres had a bit of a mare.

We'll just have to make up for it when we face them at VP.

Worst bit of the game was listening to the Scouser on Optus (McManaman?) wank himself into a coma for 90 minutes. Really embarrassing for an apparently neutral broadcaster to have such biased commentary. It was like listening to Liverpool TV!

He was doing my head in the bast***d hate them spoilt glory boys alllll liverpool… someone remind him they got splattered 7-2 not too long ago

Just now, M_Afro said:

Liverpool are better than us, they were at home, they scored early with a controversial goal and then we lost a key, physical player to injury. I’m not sure who some of you think we are and what our real position in the food chain is. Some people need to grow up and get a grip. 
We are on an upward trajectory. There are still probably 8 teams in this league who have a better squad than us. We have an elite manager who is intent on bridging that gap but it won’t happen overnight. We need to get behind the team and the players and help to make that happen.

You sound like Gerrard. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, briny_ear said:

3-0 wasn’t anywhere near as bad as I feared after the first 20 minutes or so. Looks like Villatalkers are ganging up on Torres and selecting him as the next scapegoat, which is a bit mad.

I don't think that's really fair in this instance, I think people are universally recognising he's had a poor start to his career here but most seem to believe he'll come good. Think Emery would have preferred a slower introduction for him, but Mings injury stopped that.

27 minutes ago, rbcuk said:

Pathetic performance, McGinn played like he did under gerrard, Watkins offered nothing, we are going to regret not buying another striker in this transfer window 

Far too dependent on Watkins, who is too inconsistent

19 minutes ago, brummybloke said:

Emery made big mistakes that cost us any chance sadly.

Team set up seemed good but positioning was terrible from the back 5, Carlos went off and a chance to win the midfield by bringing either teilmans or donk on to make us more solid.

Puts the weakest player ever to done a villa shirt in Bailey. Literally useless today, in a game we need effort.

So many players just stopped even walking, let alone made any effort to even pass the ball to the correct team.

Dismal is flattering.

Looked far better once Bailey taken off and a player who wanted to win came on.

Duran hitting some wayward shots rather than check back but he's young and at least showed some fight

Any away game Bailey shouldn't be anywhere near the team unless we are 2 nil up with a minute to go.

He wasn't the only weak player today, its like yet wete ordered to not tackle, the most limp effortless performance I've seen since emery came in.

Can only get better.

Duran made the most stupidest of decisions and you chose rip Bailey apart instead… RIDICULOUS

yes wasnt baileys best game but I’ve seen him way worse and i agree he isn’t good enough and should be bench option only.

I'm gutted.

But i've always maintained there will be ups and downs.

There will probably be some massive highs and some big lows.

We will have growing pains, and " transition " periods.

It's hard to legislate for the luck with injuries etc though.

We also have to keep in mind the opposition.

It's a tough League.

UTV!

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

An upward trajectory after finishing 7th in the league would be mixing it with the teams above us. This season we have performed worse than last season against the likes of Newcastle and Liverpool and have a weak defence. We should be at least competitive against these teams but are getting brushed aside with relative ease. 

There was nothing particularly controversial about the first goal and losing carlos had no effect on the outcome. This was simply men against boys and emery getting his tactics and personnel wrong. 

Wrong game plan which exposed our lack of pace vs a very, very quick Liverpool attack.

As with Newcastle, we don’t know how to handle a swarm of quick players, especially if we try to play a high line.

Not sure what Emery’s thought process was tbh. He’s good at parking the bus away from home, why is he so reluctant to use it in games like this?

Lost the game in the middle from my view,  didn't compete in 50/50 and when we did we lost out. Thought Kamara and to a lesser degree Doug looked lost when we wasn't in possession, we lack aggression in the middle. Add to that some missed chances to give us a foot hold in the game (down to lpools poor defence) and we were well beaten.

Tbh losing to Newcastle and Liverpool away isn't the end of our world,  we are still a work in progress. 

I and quite a few others said after Newcastle that Emery should be wary of playing a high line against the better teams.  He doesn’t seem to have learned from that pasting, or have come up with a plan B.  Good teams and coaches know how to beat it with pacey runners from deep, and they can bury their chances when they come.  All very well being flat track bullies using plan A, but not much good if we get regularly spanked by the better teams.

I also said after Newcastle that he needs to realise that Bailey has always been an utter waste of space away from home, especially against the better teams.  He doesn’t seem to have realised that yet either.

Easier games against Everton, Hibs and Burnley seem to have lulled us into a false sense of competence and we turned up today as if we thought we could cruise it. We gave them a much better game last season – should have won, probably - when they were arguably stronger, and we were arguably weaker.  

Torres needs to get up to speed PDQ if he wants to stay in the team.  Woeful and a liability today.

McGinn was off it, just like at Newcastle.

Our only proper main striker has been pretty awful so far this season

Cash, while ok as a wing back, doesn’t look up to snuff as a right back in a four.

Hardly anyone comes out with any credit today – maybe Martinez, Konsa, Diaby.

• Like 1

Â