Ratings & Reactions: Liverpool v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

164 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/09/23 at 22:59

On 04/09/2023 at 08:21, villa4europe said:

same as our 3rd vs burnley...

i dont agree with it but its the rule they're going with, its consistent with what else we're seeing around the league (man citys goal too)

we didnt lose that game because of a ref decision

for sure.

you have to help yourself in life....and we got what we deserved.

However, I have sympathy with those that think, we would not have had that goal stand, if it was us scoring......McGinns ruled out goal, at the Emirates, prompts me to think that.

You will not beat top teams playing the high line with that midfield, just not enough work rate. We miss Ramsey's legs in the centre and the others have an issue with ratting. It's never about how many goals are scored due to the highline it's the sheer chaos and fear it cause's amongst our players and the rabbit in headlights that we adopt. Trying to compare the premier league with Spain is futile  as the pace and energy needed is in totally different galaxy's . Unai has been great for this club but he needs a rethink of personal and tactic's, cannot get the bailey sub situation again. 

On 04/09/2023 at 17:16, danceoftheshamen said:

Must admit I said, at the moment Mings got injured against Newcastle, to my daughter, that we were now shafted for the season defensively. What I meant was against the better sides, especially those good at set pieces like Liverpool and maybe a few of the teams who lump it forward to big physical men in the box, that we would struggle and concede lots of goals. 

Sadly it looks like this will be our achilles heel this season, unless Lenglet suddenly rocks up and is that guy (which I am pretty sure he is not btw). I'm not too worried about us attacking wise (apart from Watkins & Bailey continuing to disappoint). Midfield we got owned at Anfield but that is quite unusual and we did still create a few chances.

I just cannot see a way around these issues with our current crop as we simply have no replacement for Mings's aerial prowess and we continue to persist with a couple of duds up top.

If Emery can sort this out he really is a master.

and you was right to think it............but that opens up another debate as to why, mere mortals, like us could think that, and it become bonafide.

Why was Clement Lenglet sought similar to Torres allegedly and not more of a Mings type Centre back.

Lenglet, could surprise me and be similar to Mings, I'll have to wait and see....but I am sceptical of this one.

On 04/09/2023 at 14:33, Philosopher said:

I agree that there was a lack of desire to go out and compete. To me it looked like the turned up on the field and thought they could and coast to a result like they did in the previous 4 games. Only Luiz, Digne and Konsa looked to get at Liverpool. The rest lacked impetus. Zaniolo and Tielemens had that when they came on.

I don't know the reason for that, and I don't know how we can simply move on from it.....but we have to fix it.....else it will be a mediocre season.

I’ve noticed when we lose the same one or two posters start going on about the same thing over and over again.

Obviously losing to a team like Liverpool who never have any money to spend and are constantly fighting against adversity is galling but we suck it up and move on.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, TRO said:

I don't know the reason for that, and I don't know how we can simply move on from it.....but we have to fix it.....else it will be a mediocre season.

That's probably the hardest place to go in the league. So I'm not going to jump conclusions, and sometimes teams can have off days.  Also Luiz for example was playing his fifth match in two weeks. Him, Kamara and McGinn have all have a lot of minutes in the Last 2 weeks.

22 hours ago, TRO said:

and you was right to think it............but that opens up another debate as to why, mere mortals, like us could think that, and it become bonafide.

Why was Clement Lenglet sought similar to Torres allegedly and not more of a Mings type Centre back.

Lenglet, could surprise me and be similar to Mings, I'll have to wait and see....but I am sceptical of this one.

Yes a good point, the only thing I can think of is that there was literally nobody available at such short notice?  I guess the thinking on Lenglet was that if we're going to play in a new way, now that Torres is a fixture so to speak, then we needed a back up to him rather than trying to bring in yet another different type of player and having to bed in too many different types at the same time thus causing confusion?? If that makes any sense whatsoever? Afterall we are clearly not right at the back currently, as we try to adapt to the new circumstances minus Mings.

Losing Carlos is another new issue to contend with, though will hopefully only be temporary, as yet again we are having to reshuffle and will continue to do so with Moreno still to come back in .....along with Lenglet of course. Let us not forget we are also now without that calming, highly experienced presence that was Ashley Young. He was often our best defensive player last season, along with Mings, and played us out of many a difficult situation.

So it really is no surprise that we have shipped goals against the more dangerous attacking sides in Newcastle & Liverpool. Although we had several shovel fulls of misfortune in both games to contend with, as well as losing key defenders and having to reshuffle early on in both. That of course is never a good recipe and it showed.

We need to get settled at the back ASAP, though it will be a while yet and I think it's obvious we will concede a few, especially against the better teams, until it does settle a bit.

Unfortunately amidst all of this we have also been missing a lot of good chances too, thus the heavy defeats.

I fear not keeping Ashley Young was a mistake too. Somehow I think he would still be here had we known Mings would be out for the season. Not to replace him obviously but for the know how / experience at the back. We are effectively playing with an untried & tested  defence.

Edited by danceoftheshamen

On 05/09/2023 at 23:38, Sulberto21 said:

I’ve noticed when we lose the same one or two posters start going on about the same thing over and over again.

Obviously losing to a team like Liverpool who never have any money to spend and are constantly fighting against adversity is galling but we suck it up and move on.

perhaps its difficult to spot deficiencies, when we win 5-0

7 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

This was men v boys and a reminder of whilst we have made huge gains, the gap is still massive. 

We have made huge gains, but we’ve gone backwards slightly because of all the injuries. JJ, Moreno, Mings, and to a lesser extent, Buendia make a huge difference. They proved that back end of last season in the same fixture.

Â