January Transfer Window 2024

TheAuthority

On 19/09/2023 at 15:24, John said:

Or £100m if you are Liverpool or Chelsea. We can do better with £75m imo. 

Over the next two windows, I would agree other than, I think Ramsey and Buendia (when fit) will have that position covered.  

What back up GK??

6 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

Let Arsenal have scumbag Ivan Toney, then we can do what we did with Emi and pinch Gabriel Jesus off of them.

Jesus is a quality player, but to be brutally honest his injury record over the last 18 months has Davis vibes about it.

Weird as im sure he wasnt that injury prone at Man City, but at Arsenal he has been injured numerous times for fairly long periods.

1 hour ago, Mazrim said:

Full backs are priority in my opinion. Especially right back.

Ye, i agree that right back is our most critical position for an upgrade.

Although, ironically, if we had Mings & Carlos fit, i think Konsa would have made a great right back/right side of a three in the Emery system, so we could argue the issue at right back is only because we have some injury problems elsewhere.

but as of right now and factoring in the injuries, ye i agree, right back is no.1 for me.

no.2 for me is striker, but i know that will have a marmite response :P

There are no glaring weaknesses in our first 11 at least.  It's really about incremental gains at different positions and the greater squad. I'd look at the weakest links our bench - Olsen, Traore, Chambers and look for upgrades on them. So essentially GK, FW/Winger, RB/CB

2 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

What back up GK??

Hard to say. Not many keepers will want to come to back up Emi and nobody could compete with him imo. I have suggested we look at an EFL keeper in the past, who would see a step up to the PL as an incentive, despite only being likely to get the odd start. Monchi may be able to find someone in Europe too, but it will be a tough find to bring in someone who can play comfortably with the ball at his feet, is commanding in the air and is also good between the sticks. 

1 hour ago, MaVilla said:

Jesus is a quality player, but to be brutally honest, his injury record over the last 18 months has Davis vibes about it.

Weird as im sure he wasnt that injury prone at Man City, but at Arsenal he has been injured numerous times for fairly long periods.

Yeah, not so sure, some Villa fans on here seem to treat him like the second coming.

I still maintain we didn't sign enough players to push on and add depth to what was already stretched squad. We sold the 3 kids and didn't replace them either wasn’t happy with that. Our outgoings netted us close to 40 million and we spend 70 million so in reality we spend maybe 30 to 35 million.That’s  peanuts for me if we wanted to challenge for champions league spots no way near enough.

Edited by ozvilla28
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, ozvilla28 said:

I still maintain we didn't sign enough players to push on and add depth to what was already stretched squad. We sold the 3 kids and didn't replace them either wasn’t happy with that. Our outgoings netted us close to 40 million and we spend 70 million so in reality we spend maybe 30 to 35 million.That’s  peanuts for me if we wanted to challenge for champions league spots no way near enough.

Its hard to build a strong squad with the same quality when we are playing Conference League and not Champions League. We already have a player moaning about game time and I also dont think we have any space in the 25 man squad

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Zatman said:

Its hard to build a strong squad with the same quality when we are playing Conference League and not Champions League. We already have a player moaning about game time and I also dont think we have any space in the 25 man squad

This is the problem. Apart from the sky 6 is there any club that has every managed to do well in all 4 competitions? It’s just not possible.  We all wanted a cup run but something had to give. At some point our league form will suffer too as we progress in the Conference league. It’s too many games at such a high intensity. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

In the next two windows olsen dendonker and chambers need to leave. All poor players even as backup we cant rely on these kind of players

And who will join us as 5th choice centre back and midfielder? What standard of player are you expecting

12 hours ago, ozvilla28 said:

I think with Moreno, Ramsey, Mings and Buendia being fully fit, we would have been fine. Equally, we had to put faith in the second string at some point and hopefully their lacklustre performances give our owners an idea about what is needed.

I think our biggest failure of the summer was not being able to upgrade our fullback options, Digne has some qualities but is too inconsistant and pretty poor defensively. Cash, as much as I like him, offers great workrate but is defensively really poor, the amount of times he is not on the line with the other defenders when we play the offside trap is staggering. I think these areas are a priority moving forward. 

• Like 1