January Transfer Window 2024

TheAuthority

Just now, Rich192 said:

Only way we’d want to sign ESR is a loan with option/obligation to buy, as an outright transfer would be too much for us right now with FFP. Arsenal would never sanction this kind of deal to a top 4 rival. Think this is just pure speculation. 

Yeah unless Arsenal know he's absolutely cooked I can't see them selling in Jan. With his injury history I'd never buy him straight up. Has to be a loan with options.

Fwiw I wouldn't go for him either way and I doubt this is happening.

• Like 1

Even is ESR is the answer to any of our problems, which is arguable, not even Arsenal are stupid enough to sell him to us for anything less than an outrageous price as things stand.

Not gonna happen, and to be honest I'll be surprised if we even want him.

• Like 1

Just now, Chindie said:

Even is ESR is the answer to any of our problems, which is arguable, not even Arsenal are stupid enough to sell him to us for anything less than an outrageous price as things stand.

Yup. Wrong profile of a player we'd want in January unless suddenly very free.

2 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Abuse seems very strong language. Has Duran ever been treated especially badly by our supporters? I haven't seen that, but maybe I missed the posts, etc. I can't think of any player at any club who doesn't prompt fan complaints when they miss chances. Can't see that ending. 

I think he could become a top player but I still feel it's fair to criticise him for his demeanour on the pitch.  It's more frustration as he has so many examples in the team of how to conduct himself and improve under one of the best managers in the world.

Anyway I like this type of recruitment, I hope we are looking at a goalkeeper as well as these last couple of players we've been linked with.

Edited by sharkyvilla

3 minutes ago, Chindie said:

I dunno, if he's a bit broken and Arteta doesn't want him, they may be looking to cash in quickly for FFP purposes if they're desperate to get Toney.  If he can stay fit enough to play 30 games a season then he's worth signing, but that's questionable.

• Like 1

Smith Rowe is a very good player when fit, like genuinely very good, and he's actually the kind of player we need if people want to talk about us needing a player that can unlock defences, would be a good alternative to Buendia, can play as No.10, or on the left, so could cover several roles within our team

But I doubt Arsenal will sell to us at the moment.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Chindie said:

I also don’t want to give Arsenal the ability to go and get Toney because of us buying ESR.  Arsenal are wobbling, it’s a battle for 3rd to 5th for us, Arsenal and Spurs.  Arsenal have a frailty that could scupper them while us and Spurs take advantage.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, useless said:

Smith Rowe is a very good player when fit, like genuinely very good, and he's actually the kind of player we need if people want to talk about us needing a player that can unlock defences, would be a good alternative to Buendia, can play as No.10, or on the left, so could cover several roles within our team

Maybe Arsenal know the PL are sniffing about them for FFP/PSR violations and have a desperate need for cash suddenly? :detect:

3 hours ago, ChicagoVillan1983 said:

Payoff off ground is stilL banking profits the same way as paying off your mortgage gets you closer to fully owning your home.

It sets you up for a more financially secure future which in the terms of football means growth

15 minutes ago, rubberman said:

Maybe Arsenal know the PL are sniffing about them for FFP/PSR violations and have a desperate need for cash suddenly? :detect:

There are rumours that Arsenal want to raise funds for a striker move. Selling ESR could give them a chance to make a big move in the market, especially as he is homegrown.

23 minutes ago, useless said:

They will sell him to us for £20m then spend £60m on two players to replace him , neither of which will be as a good  and their fans will get even more fixated about us and pretend they got the better deal 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Both Smith Rowe and Nelson should leave Arsenal if they want to play football regularly. I’ve always liked Smith Rowe but his injuries are a massive concern. For the right price, and that price being <£20m, he might be a good option. 

• Like 1

If ESR isn't getting games, then he's golden FFP money sat right there being squandered. I can see his sale happening, because boy do Arsenal need a striker right now. 

5 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Guess we can rule this one out, unless we make a sudden/shock announcement… might have been a decent move for a decent/low fee… but we were probably never interested.

Considering he is currently injured then am not sure how we would have won with him 😝

5 hours ago, duke313 said:

I was referring more to the fact people complain when Brighton sign an unknown wonderkid who then goes onto to be a PL regular and then sell him for £100m:

"wHy dOn'T wE eVeR sIgN pLaYeRs LiKe tHaT?"

And when we do sign someone like that (Duran), they get dogs abuse for not being good enough.

I agree with the sentiment but Duran was signed for £20m so does bring a bit of expectation with him to deliver something relatively soon.

Most of Brighton signings were for under half that.

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

Both Smith Rowe and Nelson should leave Arsenal if they want to play football regularly. I’ve always liked Smith Rowe but his injuries are a massive concern. For the right price, and that price being <£20m, he might be a good option. 

I'd take Nelson in a heartbeat. 

Hugely underrated player. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

I agree with the sentiment but Duran was signed for £20m so does bring a bit of expectation with him to deliver something relatively soon.

Most of Brighton signings were for under half that.

Yeah, but they loan them out to gain experience a lot of thee time.