Moussa Diaby

Delphinho123

Those comparing him to Leon Baileys first seasons need to remember that Bailey was hindered by injury and still showed way more promise than Diaby.

He seems like a great guy, and will be a great player in another league or system - Here it’s just simply not working for him. He’s either not happy, or he can’t cope with the system or pace of the league.

Would snap someone’s hand off for even half of what we paid for him at this rate, he’s given us no where near enough and I can’t see it improving next season, against tougher opposition.

I think the resurgence of Bailey has been his biggest problem.

I think Moussa was purchased as a probable direct replacement in the long run but since Bailey has found this insulating form. Moussa has been pushed down the starting list and now being accommodated in areas he is not really. Well, versed in or natural.

Looked to be limping as he went off? Bit brutal to just take him off because tactically it wasn't working as sticking Duran up there instead was probably even worse. We lost any sort of ability to counter attack.

What really should've happened was stick Tim on but keep Luiz on and just play three central as Chelsea were pushing their FBs central and we were getting completely overrun in that area.

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

I want to really like him but I’m at the point now watching games where I just expect him to lose the ball or our attack to break down when it gets to him.

I’ve been saying this for some time now, but what is he? He’s not a no.10 for me and I don’t think he can play as a striker. That leaves the right wing position which is usually occupied by Bailey or McGinn on the right of midfield. 

I feel he’ll never be what he could be or what we want him to be, certainly at £45m, until he locks down a position and gets a run of games there. It speaks volumes that a kid from Boro signed for 8m in January has shown more in 7 games than he has all season quite frankly.

He’s a bit of a problem. I hope he comes back next season raring to go having used his first season to really acclimatise to the league. I think we all like to point to the Bailey example but let’s not forget that, that is an anomaly rather than the norm. 

Has to do A LOT more. 

Most signings don't hit the ground running .  Almost every signing we have made has needed time. Douglas was played out of position and took multiple seasons to find his groove in the double pivot. McGinn looked like the PL was to big of an ask before Unai showed up.  Most signings either don't work out or take some time to acclimate.  A signing coming out the gate flying like Rogers is the anomaly. 

Also mentioning a price tag like £45 million is kind of small time. That's nothing for a CL club. They pay that just to get a squad player. If that's the club we are fighting to join then price tags like that, and higher, will quickly become the norm. 

• Like 1

On 27/04/2024 at 22:32, WooJung said:

Soft

sadly lIghtweight at present......his whole demeanor is full of melancholy, as opposed to Fire & Brimstone.....one way or another, you have to find some menace in your game to effect it, properly, and become a pest to opponents.....I don't see anything at the moment.....it must be a worry for the club, at such a high transfer fee.

The thing, I don't understand, is, he was reputed to be lightning quick.....and I don't see that, either.

Bailey was meant to be too, and I didn't really see it, with him.....folk said, Bailey's  injury may have nullified his pace?......but while he plays well at times, his pace is not blistering, like Barnes or Garnacho etc..

Edited by TRO

17 minutes ago, Villatillidie95 said:

If we get top 4 then that sweet sweet cross into the box for digne’s winner against Luton from diaby will have a played a massive part 

yeah, all 50 Millions worth.....I'll bet Wes will light a cigar, in satisfaction.

Joint 16th for assists in the league and joint 46th in the league for goals and all without any set pieces and without having a nailed down spot in the team. He really hasn’t done that badly at all considering it’s his first year etc etc. 

• Like 2

I like him.

The fee we paid was high but that's not his fault.

We pay a lot for him and a little for Rogers Its swings and roundabouts but....for a combined £58m we get.....

Diaby - 13 goal contributions in 35 appearances 

Rogers - 4 goal contributions in 10 appearances

Is that the going rate in PL?

It doesn't look far off to me?

First season with the team, think he's been decent. Started well but faded.

He didn't really hit his stride with Leverkusen until his third season really. Next season is big for him.

No chance he's going in the summer IMO. Can't write him off, 100% confident Unai wont.

• Like 2

He's a really good player and will certainly add more next season in both Europe and Prem.  

Ref the pace question, I think him and Bailey just don't run flat out with the ball that often.  Not always called for as you tend to overrun and don't always look for the beat option.  

On 28/04/2024 at 12:00, Callum said:

Bailey was hindered by injury and still showed way more promise than Diaby

I don't think that's true. Just look back through the bailey thread from last season. Most fans wanted to get rid ... Even JV was coming to the realisation!

4 hours ago, bose said:

First season with the team, think he's been decent. Started well but faded.

He didn't really hit his stride with Leverkusen until his third season really. Next season is big for him.

No chance he's going in the summer IMO. Can't write him off, 100% confident Unai wont.

Diaby's early form showed he has the ability to do well here and I'm reasonably confident he will shine like Bailey has done.

• Like 2

Â